Simple, But IMPORTANT Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlejon

New User
Jon
Well, this weekend begins the annual woodworking project of major importance to me. My boys and I begin working on their pinewood derby cars for Cub Scouts.

Last year was the first year for both boys, even though my youngest wasn't "officially" a scout yet. We allowed him to make one and race it as the boys were allowed to bring guests.

Anyway, if you haven't seen or done one of these, you basically get a block of wood with the axle slots already cut into it. You can cut the block of wood however you want, so long as it meets the criteria on race day set up by the pack. We had a blast last year. There are a few of us with bandsaws and other tools that offered to cut out any boys car for them, so long as they drew out what they wanted and did all the sanding, painting, etc. They boys loved it.

Most important, however, was that my sons became interested in woodworking. My oldest is really interested. So, we begin this project this weekend.

If you have a Cub Scout pack near you, you may want to volunteer to cut out the cars for the kids who don't have dads like some of us. Of course, they still have to do most of the work, but it is a great way to introduce them to the joys of woodworking.

Oh yeah, we also solved a problem of having the dads go overboard with "helping" the kids. We are letting the adults buy kits and build their own cars. I will put up some pictures of our cars once we are done.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
That is cool. I remember the pine derby cars from when I was in scouts so long ago....

sapwood

New User
Roger
careful, Mike, someone older than us will chime in.... Where is Sapwood's comment??????

My dad had a mule we rode. We also made "cog wheel wagons". 2x4 h-frame, gears from the cotton mill for wheels, broom stick for axles, leather strap for holding axle to 2x4, two leather straps attached to that and cross wrapped around another broom stick for steering rod, and if you'r lucky an old auto steering wheel (otherwise you had to use a gear for that too which was tough on the hands8-O). Just add a lot of grease, a downhill run (dirt), and wheeee :lol:

They worked, reallly :mrgreen:
Roger

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Roger: We called those "hurty-gurties" where I grew up. Used old "little red wagon" wheels instead of cogs, and the front "axle" was held with a center bolt to let it pivot. Steered by pushing your foot against either side of the axle. We had a bunch of hills at about a 10 degree grade. Tried various methods for brakes but none worked. That's where the "hurty" part came in!! (One guy tried a 80 lb concrete block tied to a rope. The hurty-gurty finally stopped but the concrete block didn't!!)
Scrubbed a lot of chat gravel out of my hide with the old lye soap in those days. :lol::lol:

Go

cpowell

New User
Chuck
My son just moved up to Boy Scouts this year - no Pinewood Derby.

We had a lot of fun building cars the past few years. I believe he will keep his cars for a very long time.

Chuck

Littlejon

New User
Jon
Roger - Believe it or not, Scouts have cars similar to the one you are talking about that they build and race each year. Our boys don't, but I found several who do on the internet and they have video of the races. I will tell you that some are of wrecks and one was of a kid tumbling off the starting ramp, so I don't see us doing that anytime soon!

As for the PW cars, my boys have their first ones proudly displayed on their trophy shelves. Some of these cars can get pretty intricate. I have an idea for one I want to build for the adult class, but I don't know if I will have time. The boys' cars are first priority.

Like I said, most important to me is getting them interested in woodworking. My oldest has really taken to it. I gave him a coping saw and a piece of 3/4" scrap cedar one day while working on something and you would have thought I had given him gold. He sawed on that board until he got all the way through (about 6" in width) and really got the feel of the saw and how it worked. He was real interested in the other tools I have as well. Last year they got to run the drill press (properly supervised, of course) and I let them use the sander some, but most of it was hand sanding and painting. This year, I may let the oldest (9) work with a scrap piece on the bandsaw some and slowly move him to some other tools. With these cars, there isn't a lot of room for error and they are so small that the power tools just don't cut it sometimes. A lot of hand sanding and such, but that is what the boys need to learn first anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS