Silly Question Time: Power Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I am thinking of getting a paddle-type power switches, where you can turn it off with your knee. I will mount it on my router table (yeah, I am lazy about posting pics).

The descriptions are not very clear on one point: do I plug my router into the switch, and wire a plug into the paddle switch? Or does the switch come pre-wired with a plug and I plug in my router?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Tom.

I use a Billy Pedal foot switch from MLCS...

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/speed_control.html

You just plug your router into the foot pedal and then plug the switch into the wall.

(I also have a three way accessory box (from Sears) where I insert the shop vac into the line so that when I activate the pedal to fire up the router; my shop vac also turns on/off. Very handy!)

I believe that the switch you are referring to (knee switch) is wired the same.

Wayne

M

McRabbet

Tom,

I'd recommend one of the following styles, available from Grizzly. The H8241 model is made for 120V only and is designed to fit into a standard electical box. It is a simple task to run a power cord through a bushing designed for cords and then feed power from the switch to an outlet box on the inside of your router table where you can plug your router in to it. If you have an application where you need either 120V or 240V, then get the H8243 Model.

Here a picture of the H8241, which is under $10 plus shipping:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Thanks, fellas. The pic displayed with the paddle switches often shows a color-coordinated black box, so I wasn't sure what was going on.

My router table has drawers across the front, so I need to cipher out where to mount a paddle switch through one of the drawer fronts. I may opt for the Billy pedal.

To use my router now, I have to leave the top drawer open, reach in ant turn the router on/off. I know that is an accident waiting to happen.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
To use my router now, I have to leave the top drawer open, reach in ant turn the router on/off. I know that is an accident waiting to happen.
I have the same Billy pedal (which shouldn't be a surprise since I also have the same router table and router that Wayne does) and it works great. You can shut the router off instantly without fumbling for the switch. Don't get me wrong, the paddle switch would work just as well (I have similar switches on my table saw and drill press), the only reason I like the Billy Pedal better is that you can keep both hands on the work piece while turning on/ off (the body bump for turning off isn't always practical).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS