Shop size?

LoveTheSmellofSawdust

New User
Cheap Azz
I may have my current storage upgraded so I can have a real shop. I am thinking that 16x32 might be okay.
Any thoughts on this. I know that we all would like a shop several acres in size..

Whatever I do has to be approved by the A... folks. We live in an equestrian area, so if it looks a barn it is okay.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have 832 sq ft and I am seriously considering adding 400. I like to have multiple projects in process so that takes space

Reactions: drw

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have about 240SF (it is both cozy and messy!)
I would love 3x or 10x, but realistically that not going to happen - I am happy to have a shop though! 16x32 sounds great to me.

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
Right now my shop is 16x12 and about 1/4 of it is taken up by my zero turn lawn mower. I would say have the shortest wall at least 16’, and recognize that if you plan on having a miter saw station you probably want at least 10’ on each side minimum.

I think 20x32 would be ideal for me.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
My shop is 320 sq ft. As everyone else I wish it were at least 3 times larger. Currently , I get overtaken with lumber, limited space for glue ups and must move pieces to the garage for finishing. Several pieces are on wheels which is not optimal

It all depends on what type work you do and the size of equipment you need/foresee affording.
If my shop and budget were larger, dream shop would include 20-25” planer 12 -18” jointer. 26” bandsaw. 60” timesavers flatbed sander My Sawstop is fine, 14” lathe, 22” scrollsaw and standard drill press are fine. I would also have a separate lumber storage area and sealed finishing room. It would also be nice to have several very large tables for glue ups and wall space for a panel glue up. Probably 1500 sq ft shop. to accommodate.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
My shop is 388 sf and big enough for me (but could be bigger). Thing is I realize at my age I am making smaller projects so my space works.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I don't think too many of us are ever satisfied with the size of our shops. That said, I have seen some truly amazing craftsmanship come out of very small as well as very sizable shops! My advice is to build as big as you can and start having fun.

gamiller3rd

Pappy
Senior User
502 sq. Ft. On a slab with 2x grid plus 1-1/2 rigi insulation then t&g plywood. Very nice on the knees and back. In retrospect I would raise the floor to run dust collection underneath. Spray insulation in walls and ceiling keeps it tight and dry along with a mini split. Unless you have a warehouse you’ll probably always want another 100 square feet. Put in a big electrical panel and try to pre-think where you’ll need your 220s. but you can always add more if your panel is large enough. Lots of very bright lighting is a must.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
"A man needs 12 feet a year on his shop building"
I was told this by an old timer (at the time) when I was building my shop.
He was right, of course. I never got my extra 12 feet, but that doesn't mean I don't need it.

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have about 1040 sf. on a crawl space. Besides being easier on the feet and back, I have dust collection under the floor and have added electrical circuits for new equipment via the crawl space. It's fully insulated and has HVAC. 200 Amp electrical panel. The shop is part of a larger building that includes craft room for LOML, 1/2 bath, small office and 3 car garage. I have a sink in the shop which is very convenient. If you know what you want for equipment, lay it all out with working clearances and allow for wood storage. We haven't had any shop crawls since COVID hit, but there are people on this site that will gladly show you around their shop. Visit as many as you can before you finalize your plans.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Whatever I do has to be approved by the A... folks. We live in an equestrian area, so if it looks a barn it is okay.

A barn type building is what I decided on. Space is precious. There was a height limit on a detached building. Twenty feet max. The main floor has 8 foot ceilings and the upstairs is a wide hallway with ceilings a little over seven feet. The upstairs area is crucial for storage. There's a pull down stairway inside for bad weather. The eight foot ceilings, while an occasional annoyance, is really helpful for heating and cooling. My lot has a rise in the back so I have walk-in access to the storage area.

A detached shop on your property is often a requirement for buying from some commercial suppliers.
The below shot was one I took to show what happens when one sprays green paint outdoors in the fall. The back of the shop shot is when I was building a double screen door.

1      shop1 - 1.jpg1      shop2 - 1.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have a little over 300 sq ft in the shop but I also have a smaller room for storage.
There is so much packed in there I barely have room to walk.
24 x 36 would be a dream shop for me.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
If you can plan storage as separate space(s) it can free up a lot of shop space. Material storage needs to be close but not necessarily in the shop. Another level that can be separated out is work in progress storage. If you tend to have multiple projects running in parallel being able to get one off the bench to a safe place while you work on another is a big help. Also helps keep the table saw from becoming an assembly table.

I’m in the process of getting my “finished goods” (aka boats) out of the shop and into the finished side of the basement. Soon to be followed by my lumber storage cart. That will make a huge difference for me.

Then if I can build a shed for the lawn mower and related yard tools…

Might be easier to just move.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have 400 ft space currently but waiting on a permit to build an additional 850 sq ft.

My theory on space calculation is estimate what you want in sq ft then multiply x 4. Then look what you can afford and build 1/2 of your original estimate,..... :p :D

Edit....... Damn Autocarrot ............. :D

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS