Shop Security Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I believe this has been discussed before, but, I'd like to know if anyone has purchased a security system for your shop. If so, what did you buy, and why?

My shop is 100+ ft. from my house, has 2 rollup doors, 1 personnel door, 2 double hung windows and a solid window. I am looking for a battery operated system with a LOUD siren/alarm that will alert me and dial phones. Found one on the web that sounds promising, but would like your input.

I believe this is going to be of concern to many of us in the near future.

Thanx.

:notworthy::notworthy:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
This is mine.
Tac_hammer_and_Malibu_002.jpg

He's a lazy, big sweety, but his bark is enough to drive anyone away. If you even poot outside my shop he's going to town. Now he can't call me on the phone to let me know what's going on. But if you have the nerve to enter my shop with him barking (and you can find it) you can have some stuff.

Dave:)

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I just picked this one up yesterday:

486749469_e3eEu-XL.jpg

486752073_h5buJ-XL.jpg

Seriously, our dogs scare most sales-people to the point that they won't get out of the car. the "Beware of Dogs" signs help set the mood.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Reggie,
Do have a system in your home? If so, you may be able to connect through a wireless sytem, with relays to cover the distance. I protect my shop through my home system using the same and it works great. Jim

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Wireless camera system hooked back to a computer on my house that broadcasts to the internet ... pretty easy to setup, records what it sees (even caught the neighborhood kids sneaking in for some icee pops last year), and is better than nothing.

A better bet would be a professionally monitored system. For about $30/mo, I think, you can get the whole house monitored. A small fee for what some of us have invested in our tools.

One note about the wireless ... my recommendation is stay FAR, FAR AWAY from any X10 brand products. Just from my experience with the products ... cheap, flaky, bad reception, poor software ... not sure anything was good about them. There are much better options out there.

Last edited:

sediener

New User
Steve
Wireless camera system hooked back to a computer on my house that broadcasts to the internet ... pretty easy to setup, records what it sees (even caught the neighborhood kids sneaking in for some icee pops last year), and is better than nothing.

A better bet would be a professionally monitored system. For about $30/mo, I think, you can get the whole house monitored. A small fee for what some of us have invested in our tools.

Check out http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ they have a 9$ a month monitoring plan on there as well as a lot of DIY info and packages.

- Steve

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Well, I've got wild kids, wild animals, and wild neighbors....do I need anything else? :gar-La;

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
I have a wireless system like Jim described. They installed a motion detector and a contact on the door. Even when the system is not set, if the door is opened you hear a chime. They just added this to my home system.

Amy

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Guys (and gals) thanks for all the GREAt input! We have a home system and I didn't think about a wireless remote for the shop.

Amy, you are obviously happy with yours. Jeremy, thanks for the X10 info. Jim, just thanks!

Dang shame this is even a concern!!

I'm in your debt.

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS