Shop made skew chisels

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Made this pair of skew chisels today. I obtained the blanks from a fellow on Wnet. They are actually driver blanks which were made for Dewalt staple guns. I ground the angle ( 30 deg) and then ground the bevel ( 25 deg) on the tormek. I turned the handles out of some bloodwood that C Powell gave me and made the ferrels out of some copper pipe fittings. I sanded to 220 and then wiped on a couple of coats of ArmRseal, buffed out and applied a couple of coats of R wax. They are sharp and will undoutablly get a workout when doing dovetails. Enjoy

Mike

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Man, you do pretty work. I like em!! :icon_thum

I'd love a set myself. Hey, I've got some more bloodwood...:eusa_thin :slap:

Hey, it just so happens I have some large dovetails I need to cut pretty soon. Maybe we could test them out? I'll buy lunch - I'm not a complete slacker. :lol: :lol:

Chuck

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very, very nice.

I wonder if in 100 years people will be talking about restoring vintage Shelly chisels, and how the quality nowadays isn't what it used to be back in the 21st century :)

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Bas,
Not only will they be talking about the chisels, they will be holding auctions for his furniture right along with Maloof, and the other masters.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
:lol:Travis,

To your question, the blades came with a threaded top about 3/4" long and I just drilled the handle blank and with the help of some screw lube I threaded the handle right onto the blade. Because the thickness of the handle blank is fairly thin at the point of contact, the copper helps support that area. I wish the blade was a bit thicker however they work quite well as they are. Still have a bit of honing to do but that will come with the next sharpening.

Not sure someone in the future will be going crazy over these but they just might go absolutely ga ga over these :lol::lol:

Michael, thanks for the kind words concerning my furniture.

MIke

cpowell

New User
Chuck
C'mon now, you can't pull a vintage Stanley gloat on top of a skew chisel gloat...can you? It should be against forum rules to post pics of chisel sets worth more than most of my shop machines. :lol: :lol:

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS