Shop Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
I found a good deal (I think) on fluorescent lights for my shop. They are four-tube, 4-foot long, the kind used in suspended ceilings in an office. The seller doesn't know if they are T12 or T8.

Will I need to install four light tubes in each fixture? I think two would give me enough light for the area but I don't know if it is possible to only run two tubes in a four-tube fixture. Will it hurt anything? I'm thinking of doing this to save electricity. How about three? Do tubes have to be installed in pairs?

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Susan; Put in all 4 tubes, you will appreciate the light and as far as ur electric you wont even notice it. The Big thing about florescent lights is the output is 3x; meaning a 40 watt bulb uses 40 watts of electric BUT GIVES 120 WATTS OF LIGHT. Standard bulb at 40 watts gives only 40 watts of light.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Most 4 tube lights have 2 separate ballasts. If so, it would be possible to wire them on separate switches so you could have 2 or 4 lamps burning at your option. Just have them wired using 3 conductor romex of whatever gauge is appropriate for the circuit. Use one hot for each ballast & switch them separately.
I wired some 3 lamp fixtures in my shop that way. For everyday stuff one light per fixture is enough. If I want more, I can go with the 2, and even more if all 3 are burning.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If you pull the center cover off during installation, the ballast(s) usually has the wattage rating and bulb size (i.e t-8, t-12, etc) listed on the label. The "t" is equal to 1/8"diameter, so a T-12 is 1 1/2" diameter, a T-8 is 1" diameter.

Go

Glennbear

Glenn
As has been said, I am a firm believer that you cannot have too much light and flouorescent lights are not real energy hogs. When I hung the lights in my shop I split them into 3 banks switched seperately (north, south, center) so that I could just utilize them seperately depending upon the task. 14 ga romex and switches are cheap enough. :wsmile:

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
As has been said, I am a firm believer that you cannot have too much light and flouorescent lights are not real energy hogs. When I hung the lights in my shop I split them into 3 banks switched seperately (north, south, center) so that I could just utilize them seperately depending upon the task. 14 ga romex and switches are cheap enough. :wsmile:

I agree with Glenn,

Can't have too much light, well almost. The sun would be a little much if it were in my shop.

Anyway I have 3 one bulb flourescent's and 6 2 bulb flourescent's in my shop and I still don't think I have enough light. I have a total of 7 4' flourescent's above my lathe, plus two clamp lamps, one with a led bulb and the other with the energy saving bulb. I like a lot of light by the lathe.

The table saw only has 5 4' lights above it. The bandsaw has 1 4' light and the jointer & router table have 2 lights above them which part of the light shines on the backside of the bandsaw.

Hope all our comments help.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I need to find some of those too! Congrats on the find and if anyone knows where I can pick up 6~8 inexpensively, please let me know!

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
Thanks all. I've decided to go and get them on Saturday. I think I like the zone wiring idea. I'll put in one zone for my finishing area, another for my sawing area and another for my sanding area, spacing the switches near to the area they will be supporting. I like the thought of being able to turn off the sanding area when I want to check for surface defects without plunging the whole shop into darkness. It's also a safety issue. Tripping one lighting circuit breaker won't make the whole shop dark. I'd like a small light at the entrance on a motion sensor for those times my hands are full.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Susan, check the voltage on the ballast. Often these fixtures use 277 volts, which you will not have in your shop. I can give you a REAL DEAL on a couple of 277 volt ballast:BangHead:.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
Now that sounds like something I would do! Sometimes my "deals" turn out to be "not so much." :embaresse

I did have her check though. they are 125 volt thank goodness. The also have those translucent covers on them but I think I'll remove them to let out more light.

Glennbear

Glenn
Thanks all. I've decided to go and get them on Saturday. I think I like the zone wiring idea. I'll put in one zone for my finishing area, another for my sawing area and another for my sanding area, spacing the switches near to the area they will be supporting. I like the thought of being able to turn off the sanding area when I want to check for surface defects without plunging the whole shop into darkness. It's also a safety issue. Tripping one lighting circuit breaker won't make the whole shop dark. I'd like a small light at the entrance on a motion sensor for those times my hands are full.

Excellent idea Susan, I mounted a dual exterior spotlight fixture with built in motion sensor just inside my shop door. I stuck two low wattage CFL's in it and have found it VERY handy. If you go this route make sure that it also has a photocell so that you are not making a light show walking around the shop when it is already lit from main lights. :gar-La;

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
Hmmm, a light show in the shop. Must be a joke in there somewhere.
Drogar-BigGrin%28DBG%29.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS