Sharpening jointer knives

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDeal

Tim
Senior User
Does anyone have any experience or information about sharpening jointer knives? I replaced the knives on my Powermatic 60B 8" jointer and would like to sharpen the old set to have in reserve. I have a machinist friend who will grind them, but I'm not sure if there is only one angle involved. It appears that there may be a slightly different angle on the very tip edge but it's width is so small I can't determine what it is, if any. If anybody has any information as to the angle(s) involved, or comments on the intracacies of sharpening jointer knives I'd appreciate them

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Re: Sarpening jointer knives

Can't comment on the benefit of a micro bevel on jointer or planner knives, but here's a knife jig I saw in Wood Mag. Unfortunately, it's a home made video with background audio that overpowers the narrative. If you preserve, you can get the message.

gator

George
Corporate Member

Just my opinion, but, unless you know what you are doing, you can really mess up the sharpening. I send mine to Raleigh Saw and have always gotten back well sharpened knives and don't have to worry about angles or such. The cost is very reasonable.

George

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member

+1 for Raleigh Saw. I think my last set was $17 for 8" knives.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris

Your machinist friend should be able to put a nice clean grind on them which will be fairly sharp. Invest in a knife hone like this one from Rockler:

20570-01-200.jpg

This will likely yield a microbevel like you are seeing on your old set.

C.

Bryan S

Bryan

Your machinist friend should be able to put a nice clean grind on them which will be fairly sharp. Invest in a knife hone like this one from Rockler:

20570-01-200.jpg

This will likely yield a microbevel like you are seeing on your old set.

C.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I take it you have one and it works well?

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
I have one, and it works well. The trick is not to let the knives get too far gone. I take a pass or 2 on each knife before each major use of the jointer. Once you hit something and get a knick, it's time to take them to the sharpening shop for a fresh grind.

The guy I use has a nice linear grinder setup on which he can do knives up to 28" long. He is usually able to get me right back to perfect edge just taking a pass of a few thousandths. He charges me 25 cents an inch, so the full set costs me about $5.00 to get done. BTW, you can use this on the planer knives as well.

C.

hockey1

New User
Jesse
A while back I bit on the Deulen sharpening system and can say that I'm very pleased with the results. I have also never taken anything in for professional sharpening so I can't compare it to what the professionals produce. Once I work the blades through the different grits I can shave the hair off of my arms. I bought the 12 inch version just because it is universal between large and small length blades.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
The micro bevel you are seeing is probably where the cutting edge is worn away. If you don't have a second set of knives, buy a set (Amazon, Global Tooling, Holbern etc.) Then you can play around with sharpening your knives when you want to, not because you have to.

ehpoole

Ethan
The micro bevel you are seeing is probably where the cutting edge is worn away. If you don't have a second set of knives, buy a set (Amazon, Global Tooling, Holbern etc.) Then you can play around with sharpening your knives when you want to, not because you have to.

Actually, Jet/Powermatic jointer blades do come from the manufacturer with a microbevel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS