Sharpening jig opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I need to get a good sharpening jig for my lathe chisels. I have seen and used the Wolverine system and like it. But today looking through the PSI catalog I saw their version of the jig.
4 pc Precision Sharpening System: Penn State Industries

LCGRIND4.jpg

and the Oneway Wolverine jig

B000CSQONC.01-A2U9E50E3XJZ3F._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1134597686_.jpg

I can get the Wolverine for $135.40 without the skew jig ($162.48 with it) shipped from Amazon or at WC (if Tom is nice :-D )

The PSI jig comes with the skew jig, shipped for $122.95.

Is there any big difference between these two systems to justify spending more or less????
I am also considering getting the WC 8" slow speed grinder to replace the 60+ yr.old one I have. Any other suggestions??
Dave:)

gator

George
Corporate Member
Dave -

If you want to try it out, I have one with the PSI version of the Vari-Grind jig also. All attached to a WC slow speed grinder. Just give me a shout. I'll be gone Sat morning but home after about 2 or 3 and will be home Sunday afternoon also.

George

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Being one of the most frugal, read cheap, woodworkers out there I purchased the PSI version of the Wolverine jig when it first came out. I have found it to be very satisfactory. It is not as finely finished as the Wolverine but it does do what it is intended to do; hold the tool and provide repeatability of a grind. I have used the Wolverine at a number of different turning sites and that is all that it does as well. Little known secret; the Wolverine jigs fit in the PSI base. I use mine with a Delta 8" 1725 rpm grinder with 80 and 120 pink and blue wheels. I don't remember right off hand which is which but I do have the grit written on the side of the wheel.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
after comparing the pictures [ and i have the wolverine.] i think i would save the money and get the PSI. but you will do well to get over to gator's swamp :lol: [sorry gator... couldnt resist! ]and play touchy feely first.:rolf: I like to see and touch tools before i lay down my hard earned cash!;-) i have the wolverine on a WC slow speed you are welcome to try out too for comparison. just dont touchy feely too much cause my stuff might get restles and want to go home with you.:slap:

fred

gator

George
Corporate Member
but you will do well to get over to gator's swamp :lol: [sorry gator... couldnt resist! ]and play touchy feely first.:rolf:

fred

Hey, the football team plays in the Swamp, why shouldn't I?

George

jglord

New User
John
I've only used the Wolverine jig and it seems to work fine. The one thing you did not mention, but I feel is important, is the vari-grind attachment for correctly sharpening finger-nail profiles.
Some with more experience than me say to forget the skew attachment. They recommend using a small diamond hone for general touch-up and use the angle jig for major reshaping.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
John, both of the pricing I mentioned includes the vari-grind jig. The PSI set-up includes it and I added it to the Wolverine package. That is the main reason that I want the set-up. I do alright free-handing my roughing gouges, scrapers and skew, but the grinds on the bowl and spindle gouges is darn near impossible for me to do without aid. Of course either jig will be better than my free-handing no matter what the tool is...then I can feel more comfortable getting better tools knowing that I won't be messing them up by hand :eusa_danc

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Because I don't turn bowls, a diamond stone works fine for me.
That being said, because of the simplicity of the design of this type of sharpening jig have you considered building your own?
I am the type of guy that likes to build my own shop aids and tools whenever Ican especially when it comes to the exhobitant cost that the some of these tools are.
On a side note.
I have seen the same concept used for sharpening using a bech sander mounted on a post vertically with the platen vertical and the belt traveling upwards.
The handle of the chisel is angled into the platen.
Set it this configuration the cutting edge of the tool won't "dig" into the belt.
Belts are cheaper than grinding wheels and can be found with varying grits.
Regardless, I would try either of these 2 methods before I would shell out that kind of money to do something as basic as sharpening.
After all, you have a shop full of tools, weren't they purchased to build something?
What could be a better project than a sharpening jig which would be something you would use every day?
Just my $.02.
Heres a couple of links to research
Amateur Woodworker: Sharpening Jig
King Heiple's Shop-Built Jig
This one is pretty detailed
Woodbox 23 » Blog Archive » Building a Lathe Tool Sharpening Jig

Lastly, There was a site site up by a guy that was in both French and English that gave very detailed instructions how to build your own "Wolverine" type system.
I mention this site because the gentleman passed away within the last two years.Perhaps someone saved his instructions.I looked for it but could not locate it.I seem to recall that some woodworkers were keeping the site up in his memory.
Whatever you decide, good luck!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Eagle, I have seriously toyed with the idea of making it myself. The V-arm for gouges looks really straight forward, as does the skew attachment, it's the vari-grind for bowl gouges that I don't feel confortable making especially with the adjustability of the purchased jigs. I saw a posting on the IAP about a guy who made his own, but it doesn't seem to have the adjustability that I desire. I spent a whole Saturday making a tool rest for my old grinder (from my own design) to finish it and realize that I just made a giant unusable POC :BangHead: Sometimes I would rather be working on something that I enjoy vs. making a utilitarian jig, that probably will end up inferior to what I could purchase, and then be P.O'ed about that the rest of the time, BTDT. If I had unlimted shop time, I wouldn't hesitate to make it myself, but I don't so, when I can work in the shop I like to make things that I like to do.

But making it myself really does appeal to my idea of frugality, and I could spend the money on other toys :icon_scra:icon_scra:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Eagle, I have seriously toyed with the idea of making it myself. The V-arm for gouges looks really straight forward, as does the skew attachment, it's the vari-grind for bowl gouges that I don't feel confortable making especially with the adjustability of the purchased jigs. I saw a posting on the IAP about a guy who made his own, but it doesn't seem to have the adjustability that I desire. I spent a whole Saturday making a tool rest for my old grinder (from my own design) to finish it and realize that I just made a giant unusable POC :BangHead: Sometimes I would rather be working on something that I enjoy vs. making a utilitarian jig, that probably will end up inferior to what I could purchase, and then be P.O'ed about that the rest of the time, BTDT. If I had unlimted shop time, I wouldn't hesitate to make it myself, but I don't so, when I can work in the shop I like to make things that I like to do.

But making it myself really does appeal to my idea of frugality, and I could spend the money on other toys :icon_scra:icon_scra:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

I am with Dave on this :icon_thum Dave as you know I have the Wolverine set up but I have had the pleasure to use a PSI system and there is not much difference. So save some money and go for the PSI with a WC slow speed grinder

Big Mike

New User
Mike
I studied the pictures you posted and discovered my PSI jig has red handles like the Wolverine jig so I went to the attic and dug out the boxes and lo and behold I have a Wolverine jig that I bought from PSI at PSI prices. I paid $114 for the Wolverine and Vari-grind at PSI almost 3 years ago.....:oops: :oops:

Well, whatever, it works just fine for me......

Shut up Mike and go back to the shop....

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I remember in an issue of Woodsmith way back that they had an article combined with a tip on making a sharpening jig.

DavidF

New User
David

I'm with you on that one when I can Dave I HATE making jigs! it usually depends on how much use it will get. If it's for one or two projects then I'll generallly build and throw away, if it's a long term thing like the sharpening rig then I would buy

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Dave--------I made my own sharpening jig from materials that had accumulated over time and just taking up space in the shop. I will make a pic and post later today. Look at it before you spend 135.00 on a commercial jig.:) Think about the other tools you can buy with that money:icon_thum .

Jerry

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Ok Dave--------here is an attempt to post some pics of my sharpening jig.

The image on the left is overall view----------on the right shows how I use it on my lathe, the variable speed is a plus in the sharpening.

It is a piece of pipe inside another pipe and slides for adjusting to the knife being ground. The black handle is the tightening device, tapped into the outside piece of pipe. It also has adjustment by sliding the outside pipe in the two wood blocks and tightening the two wing nuts shown just above the pipe. I had about 3 hours total time in making the jig.

If you or anyone wants more information just let me know.:)

Jerry

Last edited:

Monty

New User
Monty
Neat idea, Jerry... I guess it would be a little inconvenient to do "final touch-up" sharpening with a piece already on the lathe, but still seeing something like that gives a good idea of how to make one for the grinder.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Neat idea, Jerry... I guess it would be a little inconvenient to do "final touch-up" sharpening with a piece already on the lathe, but still seeing something like that gives a good idea of how to make one for the grinder.

That is a drawback when turning. My bench grinder is not slow speed so I opted to design the jig to use on the lathe primarily---because of the variable speed and being able to reverse directions. With my setup I have to hone with a diamond hone while turning is in progress or sharpen between turnings.

The same principle can be adapted for a bench grinder no doubt. Not everybody has as much "junk" laying around as I have though:rolf: .

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors