Sharpen , or Replace

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I need to have the blade (Delta 35-7657) on my saw sharpened. With freight both ways, a new blade from Cripe Distributing (delivered) is almost the same price. So which would you do, order new, and then later send blade out for sharpening. Or just send it out. Oh yeah, I do have a couple other blades that need to be sharpened. so this adjusts the freight cost a bit. I keep weighing my choices, with no CLEAR winner:icon_scra.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Isn't there someone local that sharpens saw blades? That would save you the shipping both ways. I found a guy in my area by looking at the bulletin boards at Woodworker's Supply and The Hardwood Store. He had posted a notice at each place. I suspect you might find someone if you talk to the folks at Klingspor or Woodcraft in Raleigh. Or someone on this site might know someone in the Raleigh area. Just a guess.

Bill

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Way out in Hillsborough, there are several cabinet shops that let us piggy back on their weekly shipments to Raleigh Saw. Still pay a nominal handling charge, but no shipping.

Saves some bucks I can tell ya.

Jim

crokett

New User
David
I have two miter saw blades at Raleigh Saw right now. It is just off Capital Blvd - a couple minutes from 540. The guys there also sharpen chisels, plane blades, scissors, etc. Just about anything with an edge they can sharpen. Turnaround is about a week.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Way out in Hillsborough, there are several cabinet shops that let us piggy back on their weekly shipments to Raleigh Saw. Still pay a nominal handling charge, but no shipping.

Saves some bucks I can tell ya.

Jim

I tried this from a location here in Durham to sharpen some planer and jointer knives, the "nominal handling charge" worked out to about a 30% premium....

In this case I'd probably order a new blade at $17 and keep the other round for rough work....

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Isn't there someone local that sharpens saw blades? That would save you the shipping both ways.

Bill
Save on shipping? It's 38 miles to one sharpening place, and 40 miles to the other. That amounts to $10 worth of gas times two = $20. Add in an hour each way, times TWO trips = four hours of lost production time. Postman will drop off box, can print postage, and call for pick up from back porch, or I can run by local post office ( five minutes away.) UPS drops blades back on porch about two weeks later. Total shipping charges both ways, about $20. Klingspor and Woodcraft put about a 50% mark up on sharpening services. Plus Klingspor is about 2 miles for either sharpening place. Woodcraft is "off the beaten path" for me. It's called the price of convienence. I don't understand the logic of "saving on shiping."

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I need to have the blade (Delta 35-7657) on my saw sharpened. With freight both ways, a new blade from Cripe Distributing (delivered) is almost the same price. So which would you do, order new, and then later send blade out for sharpening. Or just send it out. Oh yeah, I do have a couple other blades that need to be sharpened. so this adjusts the freight cost a bit. I keep weighing my choices, with no CLEAR winner:icon_scra.

I would buy a new one. You then have a spare for rough work, etc.

I have a Dewalt ATB/R blade I picked up a few years ago that was reported to be nearly as good as the WWII. I've never used a WWII, but this blade leaves a glue-up-ready edge, so I've never had a desire to spend any more $$. I've been thinking it probably needs sharpening. How do you like the 35-7657? I may try that out while I have the Dewalt sharpened.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Chris, I have a couple of WWII's which reside in their boxes. I keep a 7657 on the saw most of the time. If you are thinking of ordering, let me know and we could share part of the shipping costs. Same offer for sharpening sent to Dynamic Saw in Buffalo NY. I like their work, price, and service. At half of the price Forrest charges and just as good, or better sharpening. I have one blade that I need to have straightened. It was dropped or something before I got it for a buck.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Chris, I have a couple of WWII's which reside in their boxes. I keep a 7657 on the saw most of the time. If you are thinking of ordering, let me know and we could share part of the shipping costs. Same offer for sharpening sent to Dynamic Saw in Buffalo NY. I like their work, price, and service. At half of the price Forrest charges and just as good, or better sharpening. I have one blade that I need to have straightened. It was dropped or something before I got it for a buck.

I'll go in for one plus part of shipping as well. I've been wanting a good full kerf blade. Chris, You might also look at some of the 8" dado stacks Bruce referenced earlier in the thread (based on our conversation at lunch).

Travis

Glennbear

Glenn
It may or may not be a consideration but when blade teeth are sharpened a small amount of material is taken from the tooth sides to remove the burr from sharpening. Since it is only a couple thousandths it usually does not make a difference but if you have made TS jigs that rely on exact blade thickness it may throw things off especially after a few sharpenings. :wsmile:

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I'll go in for one plus part of shipping as well. I've been wanting a good full kerf blade. Chris, You might also look at some of the 8" dado stacks Bruce referenced earlier in the thread (based on our conversation at lunch).

Travis

I might sign on for this as well for a WWII, depends on how well my blade works after I get around to cleaning it. Picked up a spare when WoodCraft had their bag sale awhile back.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Steve, I don't think Cripes carries the Forrest blades....

Oops, think i quoted the wrong one in my reply. I want to get in on a sharpening order to reduce shipping costs, hehe. Sorry, abit distracted, using alot of brainpower at work and just skimming the boards.

I'll give Raleigh Saw a call next week as well, see what their prices are, might not have to get them shipped off. I drive a nice gas sipping Civic so it's not as bad for me to drop things off on Capital :)

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris

That's a good idea. I just checked and the shipping savings is significant. $10 shipping for one blade, $12.40 for 3 blades. I'll start a new thread for it.

Chris

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Save on shipping? It's 38 miles to one sharpening place, and 40 miles to the other. That amounts to $10 worth of gas times two = $20. Add in an hour each way, times TWO trips = four hours of lost production time. Postman will drop off box, can print postage, and call for pick up from back porch, or I can run by local post office ( five minutes away.) UPS drops blades back on porch about two weeks later. Total shipping charges both ways, about $20. Klingspor and Woodcraft put about a 50% mark up on sharpening services. Plus Klingspor is about 2 miles for either sharpening place. Woodcraft is "off the beaten path" for me. It's called the price of convienence. I don't understand the logic of "saving on shiping."

Bruce, I was thinking about my situation, and thought it might apply in your case as well, but evidently not. Sorry!

I used to send my blades and knives off for sharpening, or drive about 40 miles to a remote place that wasn't near anything else I needed, like you mentioned. Either the shipping cost was killing me, or the wasted time and money to travel was. Then I found this guy I'm using now. Fortunately, he's between me and the BORGs I frequent. When I have something that needs sharpening, I wait until I have to get something else, and swing by his place on the way. Pick up is the same.

Over the years, in all the different places I've lived, I've been fortunate enough to find someone local that works out of his own home shop, and does this kinda on the side. It took me awhile, but I finally found this guy. Now the only thing I ship off for sharpening is the Forest WWII. I don't know if they're any better, but I'm just not quite ready to try anyone else on a blade that expensive. :no:

Sorry if my original suggestion wasn't helpful.

Bill Clemmons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS