Share your secrets on small boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Tracey, beyond my perviously obvious tip of buying new tools, I thought of something else.

A book Boxes & Chests by Alan and Gill Bridgewater.

It one of the better books on boxes I've read. Full of practical techniques that build upon eachother.

It is foused upon using hand tools, but the info about boxes is quite helpful. They answer a lot of "why would you do it this way".

Also, the boxes are more traditional, not as, dare I say, artistic?

Jim

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Got my first lesson (went to school!) on small "boxes" with this dang clock I'm just about done with. Everything said so far is true! The smaller the "box" the more the tiny mistakes show up!!

So far, I just procede with plenty of extra wood!!

:rotflm:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Thanks everyone for the replies and I feel much better knowing that I am not the only one having trouble. Now when I get my eyes un-crossed from work, I will read a little deeper into the responses:gar-Bi.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
ah yes but...... My box is by far the easiest to build!:gar-La; you only need a saw [any ol saw will do accuracy dont matter much]:rotflm: and a drill [cordless or corded makes no differance]. the hardware can be scavenged off almost any cabinet door. also no messy glue to mess around with and the lid isnt critical either.:gar-Bi If you must have a new tool a file will work just fine for the final fitting of the parts!:icon_cheers you can get away with BORG screws on this as well cause if they break or strip you can add more at any time!:rotflm: Plans are available for this magnificent work of art and if you act now [or within the next 22 seconds] they are free!:icon_thum plus 29.95 S&H. just call 1-800- bymycrap. this is a toll free numbe cause they disconected my 1-900-number last week!:gar-Cr

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
ah yes but...... My box is by far the easiest to build!:gar-La; you only need a saw [any ol saw will do accuracy dont matter much]:rotflm: and a drill [cordless or corded makes no differance]. the hardware can be scavenged off almost any cabinet door. also no messy glue to mess around with and the lid isnt critical either.:gar-Bi If you must have a new tool a file will work just fine for the final fitting of the parts!:icon_cheers you can get away with BORG screws on this as well cause if they break or strip you can add more at any time!:rotflm: Plans are available for this magnificent work of art and if you act now [or within the next 22 seconds] they are free!:icon_thum plus 29.95 S&H. just call 1-800- bymycrap. this is a toll free numbe cause they disconected my 1-900-number last week!:gar-Cr

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rolf::rolf::rolf:

poppop

New User
Don
I've made a bunch of jewelry boxes Ive always used tape and mitered corners. I put the top and bottom in a rabbitt that is cut on all pieces.I make the top and bottom from veneered plywood. I make my own veneer so that it is thick enough to sand.I generally use spline across the miters for strengh and looks - sometime i use a very small dove tail bit and make key splines for a nice look that mimicks a dovetail joint.When cutting off the top of the box I make sure that the saw blade does not go all the way thru the wood. this keeps the box from moving and messing up the cut.
good luck with yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS