Shaker-on-Steroids Display Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchwood

New User
Don
Hi All,

It's been too long between posts. Things have been busy!!!

I took a commission to build a display cabinet using the same type of base I designed for the S-o-S tables. I beefed the base up considerably.

The cabinet was built from two 13" wide virtually perfect book-matched cherry boards I'd been hoarding. ..so the curly sides are matched on both sides. The base legs are Tiger Maple, rails are Figured Hard Maple, apron through tenons are wedged with Ebony.

IMG_01772.JPG

IMG_01792.JPG

The back uses three floating panels. I used Brusso offset hinges and bullet catches. The pulls are Ebony (anyone figure out what they are??). The shelves are notched to take the brass supports...two positions for each shelf
IMG_01621.JPG

IMG_01782.JPG

IMG_01493.JPG

IMG_01593.JPG

and here it is in it's new home. Overall size: 72" tall, 42" wide, 13" deep.
There are more pics in the Gallery.

Oh yeah.... I used tempered glass:gar-La;
IMG_01821.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG

Thanks for looking

Don:icon_thum

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Absolutely stunning! :eek:

Don, your work is incredible. I like everything about it. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Don,

You're a maestro!! What a beautiful piece of work. Ever thought of giving classes?

You might want to point out to the folks that own that piece that, if that room is cold, there is a good reason. Don't often see an air supply and a return air within a foot of one another.

Touchwood

New User
Don
Don,

You're a maestro!! What a beautiful piece of work. Ever thought of giving classes?

You might want to point out to the folks that own that piece that, if that room is cold, there is a good reason. Don't often see an air supply and a return air within a foot of one another.

Geoff

I know...I pointed that out to them when I saw it. It's totally nuts...hot air comes in and goes directly up the return. They paid a lot for this place..maybe that's a "feature"???:gar-La;

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Don, you really should consider teaching classes. Mark your calendar because I'm speechless, that's pretty doggone rare.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
fantastic as usual Don.:thumbs_up:thumbs_up the knobs look like chestnuts.:gar-Bi

eyekode

New User
Salem
Thanks for continuing to post your projects. I really appreciate them :)
Oh, and I thought they were coffee beans too!
Salem

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I like the wedged tenons with contrasting color. You have a great eye for color/grain/proportion and it really sets your work apart from others. Hinge hardware is pretty cool, too.

How did you fasten the upper to the base?

Chuck

Touchwood

New User
Don
I like the wedged tenons with contrasting color. You have a great eye for color/grain/proportion and it really sets your work apart from others. Hinge hardware is pretty cool, too.

How did you fasten the upper to the base?

Chuck

Chuck

Same as the little display tables I posted earlier. The cross pieces are walnut first screwed into the rails (I shape the ends and notch them to fit over the rails)..then screwed into the bottom of the top.

For the cabinet I used 1/4"20 threaded inserts and bolts instead of screws

Don

Touchwood

New User
Don
OK...the door pulls are not coffee beans or chestnuts:rotflm:

The pulls are made from tuning pegs for a "violoncello" ...commonly called a "cello". They are usually made of highly polished ebony. I cut the ebony shafts off and thread a screw into the back.

If you do it right, they snug right up to the frame...but it takes a 1/2" diameter hole in the wood to seat them. They have a wonderful feel to them..and the shape is perfect.

I've also used ebony or rosewood viola/violin pegs in the past for box lids and the like.:widea:

See..all those music lessons had a use after all :gar-La;

Glad you all like the piece..and I really appreciate your comments. Most folks who look at something like this have no idea what goes into creating it.

You guys certainly do, and that makes your thoughts all the more valuable.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
The pulls are made from tuning pegs for a "violoncello" ...commonly called a "cello". They are usually made of highly polished ebony. I cut the ebony shafts off and thread a screw into the back.

See..all those music lessons had a use after all :gar-La;

I was gonna guess that (seriously) but I thought "He wouldn't to that to a cello - would he :eusa_thin"

Touchwood

New User
Don
I was gonna guess that (seriously) but I thought "He wouldn't to that to a cello - would he :eusa_thin"

Just the pegs, Jeff..just the pegs!!

You can buy them for 5 or 6 bucks each if you know where to look..and they're first class quality.

Don

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Just the pegs, Jeff..just the pegs!!

You can buy them for 5 or 6 bucks each if you know where to look..and they're first class quality.

Don

Phew you had me worried - I had pictures of Don with a chainsaw and a cello laying in pieces. Bad thought, very bad thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS