Shadow box now with Finished pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kicbak

New User
Wes
Well to make a long story short, I rode in Paris-Brest-Paris cycling race ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris-Brest-Paris).

I collected some souvenirs and decided I needed a place for them. I just finished the shadow box but its empty until my wife can work on the layout :)

I only had a few requirements
1) Use something exotic.
I used Jatoba (aka Brazilian Cherry) which was a good lesson. It looks great but is just about impossible to cut and it burns easily. Its the first time my festool 55 saw was under strain.

2) Use mitered corners to make sure the miter saw is aligned.
Turned out I pretty well have the saw aligned now, all 4 corners look pretty good.

3) Make it simple.
I just routed a 15/32 groove for the oak back and 1/4 grove for the glass to slide into, since the wood was soooo hard I made quite a few passes. A also just used 1/4 round-over on all the edges.

4) Try a finish that isn't poly.
After paneling the entire house with SYP that I poly'd myself I needed to try something else. I ended up using Tried and True varnish oil. Its a really easy finish to use and really made the depth in the wood show.

And since it didn't happen unless there are pictures.....

shadowbox3.jpg

shadowbox2.jpg

Wes

M

McRabbet

Re: Finished my simple shadow box

Nice job, Wes -- it will look even better when LOYL figures out where to place the souvenirs! Although I've never biked any significant distance, you picked a beautiful area to compete in a race -- the Brittany countryside is really pretty and I hope your route took you along parts of the beautiful coastline of La Manche (the English Channel for those that wonder). I'll be looking for the pics of the filled case!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

That looks great Wes! And kudos for trying new stuff on real projects, as opposed to shop projects. The finish really brought out the beauty of that wood, I'm going to have to try Jatoba one of these days. Its hardness is just a good excuse to buy bigger/ better/ sharper tools :)

erasmussen

New User
RAS

Great job the miters look tight:icon_thum
finish is very nice:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

cskipper

Cathy

That turned out really well! I still have several pieces of Braz. Cherry to cut before I ban it from the shop :laugh:. Kudos for riding in that race!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie

Nice job! Looks great on the wall. Be sure to send us pics when you get the "trophies" arranged in it. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

cpowell

New User
Chuck

I'm sure you'll smile to yourself every time you pass by the pretty box with your souvenirs. Great job on both the race (I read a little about the various events that use that route) and the shadow box. :icon_thum

Chuck

Kicbak

New User
Wes

Thanks, I'm trying to lay the stuff out but I'm not getting anyway, hopefully the wife will get it looking better.....

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

Great job on the box, Wes! :eusa_danc:eusa_dancThe mitres look terrific!:icon_thum

Hope that you get a chance to post a pic when its "populated"!

I am sure that you will treasure both the display as well as your venture over there in cycling country. You were definitely fortunate to experience quite a trip as this!

Thanks for sharing!

Wayne

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member

Nice handiwork there, Wes. But I gotta rain on your cycle race....those skis ain't gonna fit in that frame. :BangHead: How did you peddle a bike with those things on anyhow?

Kicbak

New User
Wes

Maybe next time I'll cut up the skis and use them to build a shadow box. I didn't have any time this year to go skiing. Maybe next year...

cranbrook2

New User
john

Nice work Wes !! , I was just thinking about building something similar to that for some pictures i have. Great job .:thumbs_up

Steve W

New User
Steve

Looks nice, Wes.

Make sure you post a pic with it filled!

:kermit: Steve

Kicbak

New User
Wes
Shadow box is somewhat filled.

Well I finished it up today, wife ok'd the layout.

TA DA....
shadow_box.jpg

Hanging in its temporary home
shadow_box2.jpg

Actually medal with my finishing time of 88 hours and 5 minutes
medals.jpg

This was one of the signs for the return trip from Brest back to Paris
retour.jpg

This is my card I had stamped at each of the controls to prove I completed the entire 760 mile course, and in time.
brevet_card.jpg

My bikes frame plate with my rider number
frame_plate.jpg

Magnetic card swiped at the controls that updated the website my friends and family where tracking at home.
card.jpg

Luckily this ride is only every 4 years. I don't think I'd want to make a shadow box every year. My A-frame doesn't have enough walls to hang stuff :gar-Bi

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
AHHHHH YES!!!!!!!!!:wav:

Something I am sure that you will treasure for a very, very long time!

Congrats Wes!!!! Bet I couldn't even make to the end of our block anymore, let alone 88 hours!!!!

A wonderful keepsake, indeed.:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Wayne

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
So if I read the medal correctly, did you get 16th place or is it the 16th annual race? ... How big was the field? As I wouldn't have finished, I have to tip my hat to you. Congrats.

Kicbak

New User
Wes
Its the 16th race. It started in 1896 and was raced every 10 years then became and amateur event in the 50's. Its every 4 years now and you have to qualify to ride it. Its 1200 km or around 750 miles and you have 90 hours total to finish, including sleep if you have extra time, I slept about 8 hours over my 88 total hours, the rest of the time I was ride in the rain or trying to get something to eat the the checkpoints.

Wes

M

McRabbet

Most folks that go to France are happiest being gluttons for their fabulous food -- you're more like one who enjoys being a glutton for punishment! I salute your strength and fortitude to finish such a grueling race!

sapwood

New User
Roger
That's a marvelous way to display your woodworking skills and commemorate such a notable event :icon_thum

BTW, we're calling on you the next time there's any heavy lifting :mrgreen:

Roger

Kicbak

New User
Wes
If you need me to ride a bike around I can help. My total lack of arm strength isn't going to help anyone lift much more then a beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors