Stumbled upon this site: http://www.etsy.com/

One of the items for sale at $38,000

http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_570xN.114892116.jpg

Anyone have any comments on this site?

moz-screenshot.png

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
Joe, we have been using it for the last 6 months or so. It's been ok but hasn't been a home run for 2 reasons.
1. It isnt as well known and doesn't have the traffic that Ebay does. It seems to be growing and can only get better over time.
2. There seem to be many woodworkers who just use it to move product regardless of price. I have seen many turnings, bowls and items that I know are being sold for what the wood costs not counting any labor. It's hard to compete with crafters like that. Things will bring a good price if the are unique and of high quality but I don't think you could use it as your only outlet.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I can't afford to sell my work, it cost me too much. :no:

But then, I always hear people say "You can't count your time". :rotflm:

I'd like to know what else I have to sell? :dontknow: :icon_scra :help:

(did i use enough smileys to imply sarcasm?) :wtongue:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I've heard of etsy people I've talked to can't afford to compete with those who basically seem to be giving their stuff away for cost.
Even my time is worth something and if I'm giving it away I'll choose who gets it.
Seems to run the gambit from ridiulously high to who can they sell it that cheap.

I know I bought my first thing off ebay years ago and felt proud! It was very cheap and a real deal... until I figured out it cost me $7.95 to have it stuck in a 30 cent envelope with 50 cents worth of postage. But I saved a dollar off the local price!
Guess after we get burned enough we watch where the hands go.

NorthernJeff

New User
Jeff
I use ETSY to post some turnings I have made, but I haven't had many hits per product. Most of my sold items have been by word of mouth to local people, or through custom orders.

Jeff

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
You might want to check out the WONC gallery at Klingspor. They have some real nice pieces for sale from/for local craftsmen. www.woncgallery.org

Doug! Nice post! :icon_thum

I happen to have one item in their gallery. It's been for sale since the Last Klingspor event in Raleigh. I've reduced the price once. Still available.

Think ECONOMY !

We are really suffering, I haven't talked to a single person who feels they are "tonning" it.

Scrape, Scrape, Scrape.

IMHO
M

cskipper

Cathy
Mike Davis;351994 (did i use enough smileys to imply sarcasm?) :wtongue:[/QUOTE said:
Yes Mike, I think you indicated your intent very well - lol

You might want to check out the WONC gallery at Klingspor. They have some real nice pieces for sale from/for local craftsmen. www.woncgallery.org

Their "Contact Us" link doesn't work. I was interested in more information re: the guild. Does anybody know?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Come to Triangle Woodworkers meeting on Tuesday the 15th (7:00 PM) and get to see gallery and a program on jigs and tips. We meet at Klingspor's.

DWSmith

New User
David
I tried Etsy once for almost two years. Saw a LOT of jewelry and clothing. Sold two items. Seems to be populated by people who make inflated claims and improbable descriptions. The type of person who makes a $10 item out of $100 worth of raw materials and calls themselves a craftsman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS