Sealing a Tree Root?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have a neighbor that has a large Pin Oak close to his driveway and the roots have started to cause a good sized heave in the concrete driveway.:tinysmile_cry_t:

He is thinking of having the driveway resurfaced which means cutting a couple of the sprays of root (about 3-5" in diameter). If the root ends are cut and then sealed with Anchorseal and reburied, would the tree have a better chance of surviving the "amputation". (The tree is big ... about 3" trunk diameter.)

Thanks in advance for your helpful advice.

Wayne

J

jeff...

I have a neighbor that has a large Pin Oak close to his driveway and the roots have started to cause a good sized heave in the concrete driveway.:tinysmile_cry_t:

He is thinking of having the driveway resurfaced which means cutting a couple of the sprays of root (about 3-5" in diameter). If the root ends are cut and then sealed with Anchorseal and reburied, would the tree have a better chance of surviving the "amputation". (The tree is big ... about 3" trunk diameter.)

Thanks in advance for your helpful advice.

Wayne

Wayne --- take a look at this NC State Article it's pretty in depth. I'm still waiting for DaveO's book to come out cause I know it would be better.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/trees-new/text/tree_damage.html

Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Sealing the cut ends of the roots won't do anything to help the survival of the tree. Trees have their own way of sealing wounds, and anything applied can interfere with that. Note, pruning sealer/tar is no longer recommended for use when pruning limbs, it just interferes and can lead to problems.
The cut roots will branch back out from the cuts and continue to grow on. What I would consider doing is using a root barrier system to prevent those roots from growing in the direction of the driveway again and causing more problems.
A product like this, http://www.biobarrier.com/ dropped into a narrow trench dug along the edge of the driveway will very effectively prevent the roots from regrowing and causing damage to the driveway again.

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS