• I have one but wish I would have bought another.:(

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Just had an idea to see where everyone stands on purchasing a SawStop or not? Everyone has different situations and reasons and I've read alot of them, so vote away and give reasons if you want.

woodnick

New User
Nick
I like the 6" rule! Your hands should not be within 6" of a cutting blade, personally I try to keep 12" away

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
One of these years I'm going to find one in someone's garage and they aren't going to know what it is. Being the kind guy I am, I'll offer to haul it away for them for free :) ....Okay...so now that I've woken up....

While I'd like to own one...I just don't have the bank for it yet. Keeping my fingers safe and staying away from the blade (not that that would change with a Sawstop)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I'd like to have one, but it is too expensive for me right now. It's definitely a valuable safety feature. :icon_thum

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I was considering the contractor model. But, it only has a 1.75 hp motor. I can get so much more saw for the money...

bassndboat

New User
Mark
Sawstop is definitely on my list of tools to get. I love the saftey factor, and it is just a very nice and well thought out saw.

Mark

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
As an owner, I'm VERY glad I bought it. The brake feature aside, the saw is top-notch in every respect. Extra large cast iron table, quality components, easy to use blade guard / riving knife, and EXCELLENT dust collection. It's "expensive" but so was the $2,300 Jet saw I had before it ... and it didn't have all the features.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
If I was in the market for a $3,000 saw, SawStop would be one I would look at.

Got my Griz 1023 about 10 years ago for about $1,000. Can't see a real good reason (other than the brake) to sell it just to get a more expensive saw.

Would love to have a SawStop, just can't see it happening anytime soon. Guess I'll just have to continue to be extra careful.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
One of these years I'm going to find one in someone's garage and they aren't going to know what it is. Being the kind guy I am, I'll offer to haul it away for them for free :) ....Okay...so now that I've woken up....

While I'd like to own one...I just don't have the bank for it yet. Keeping my fingers safe and staying away from the blade (not that that would change with a Sawstop)

Agree completely, Safety practice won't change if/when I get one. And keep dreaming Phillip, when you find that garage, I got dibs on the 69' Camaro SS that's in mint condition behind the saw. I think I could give em about 500 for that clucker.

I'd like to have one, but it is too expensive for me right now. It's definitely a valuable safety feature. :icon_thum

I think I will be going contractor saw, I can afford those cobinet models.

I was considering the contractor model. But, it only has a 1.75 hp motor. I can get so much more saw for the money...

I agree, but I don't have the room or $$$ for the bigger ones so I think I can make due with it considering how much a upgrade it will be from my current saw.

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
Would not have one if you gave it to me !!!
Probably because of the underhanded political introduction to force every table saw maker
to use their methods.
PLEASE don't start a thread on that !!!!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
My tablesaw has a sliding table and a riving knife. Sawstop is well built, and I do not begrudge anyone for buying one.

Jeremy, how do you handle "wet wood" on your say like pressure treated? Do you have to recalibrate or turn the brake thing off?

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
After seeing all the beautiful Work that Earl (Erasmussen) Has made with his Contractors saw, that didn't even come with miter slots...Yep he made miter slots for his saw. And he paid I think $200-$300????

All I know is I have the PM2000, it has built in caster which I love, riving knife, great dust collection etc, heavy duty trunions and $1000 under the Sawstop at least when I bought mine. After I seen Earl's saw and what he makes I wish I didn't spend that much. I could have got by just fine with a Jet cabinet saw or grizzly cabinet saw. for a $1000 or more less than mine and could have had more tools, or more storage.

I would say keep your fingers away from the blade, I have a 3" rule, but I am crazy, 6" sounds much better. If the saw can cut acurately and you keep your fingers away from the blade, then whats wrong with a $300 saw. And don't tell me it's the extensions. I have seen contractor saw's decked out with homemade extensions and a lot more storage than I have on my saw. Toolman said he has 8' extensions on either side of the blade.

If your are not smart and don't keep your fingers away from the blade, are easily distracted, or have distractions and continue to use a tablesaw, I would say get a Sawstop. AS your distractions will catch up with you.

My wife will come out in the Garage to get me, and if I am using anyting, Lathe, tablesaw, ETC. I finish what I am doing, turn off the machine, then look at her. It might be rude, but hey I have a 10 fingers and toes.

Also one thing that has helped me enormously...My uncle told me to always pretend like you cut of your finger, visualizing it before you enter the shop, I have done this everytime. It helps me be aware/alert of what my tools can do to me, in miliseconds. Plus I never go in the shop tired.

JMTCW, which is much.

Last edited:

Partman

Danny
Corporate Member
Would not have one if you gave it to me !!!
Probably because of the underhanded political introduction to force every table saw maker
to use their methods.
PLEASE don't start a thread on that !!!!

+ 1 :evil:

Danny

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Zach, I love this thread.

We've had plenty of debates over the Sawstop (or other tools). I like the simplicity of your poll.

Jim

SubGuy

New User
Zach
I just got done ripping some red oak stair treads down for the router cabinet. I am ready for a saw with a REAL Fence. I'm tired of ripping and not having anything straight:kamahlitu. It really stinks when you don't have a jointer to clean up edges. I also don't like the fact my saw has a crappy guard and the Slots aren't standard (some weird large T-slot design) so I can't use my nice Bench Dog Featherboards. The more I deal with this, the quicker I think I will be purchasing a new saw.

DaveD

New User
Dave
Lots of power tools, and even hand tools, can be dangerous in the wrong hands. To me the saw stop (the safety device itself) takes advantage of people's paranoia. You just have to do whatever is comfortable for your own situation. I wouldn't hold it against someone that used/wanted one.

I take calculated risks every time I build/work on something but hopefully I don't put myself in a situation where the odds are against me. Common sense hopefully prevails.

Don't even get me started on a company trying to get their safety device mandated on every new saw made. I don't need big brother looking out for me and I don't want to be penalized by someone protecting the few while making the other 99.9% of us absorb the cost.

shopsmithtom

New User
SST
Wow, and I thought the Shopsmith or separate tool debate was fun. I guess if you worry a lot about your fingers, and the rest of the saw features meet your needs, it sounds like a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS