SawStop demo

Status
Not open for further replies.

prolfe

New User
Paul Rolfe
At the Open House this Saturday at Klingspor's Woodworking Shop there will be a SawStop demo at 11:00 and at 2:00. I have done about 6 or 7 demos on this saw and it still amazes me every time.

Does anyone have a Work Sharp machine? I have heard some good feedback about it but it just seems limited in what it can do when compared to the Tormek.

Is there a Work Sharp Tool owner that would be up for a demo on March 1???

Badabing

New User
Joe
Hi Paul,
I have a WorkSharp and wrote a pretty long review of it on my website (link below). Unfortunately I have to work on Saturday so I can't make it to WC or Klingspor :cry_smile Otherwise I would love the opportunity to demo something (anything!).

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Hi Paul, since you're not exactly swamped with volunteers I'll jump in here.

I'm the proud owner of a Work Sharp 3000 - but only since last weekend. To date, I have sharpened four chisels. Now, being in Information Technology, lack of expertise has never stopped me from putting on a good show, but I may not be the best candidate to do a demo. Showing how to sharpen a chisel or plane blade is within my realm of expertise, but since I'm not a turner I haven't practiced sharpening any kind of round tools with the slotted wheel.

The WS is a great machine for people who need a lot of help. I've tried oil stones, diamond stones, various honing jigs etc., with very little success. Scary sharp actually gave me good results, but it took _forever_ moving through the various grits. By comparison, I had the WS up and running in five minutes, and my first chisel sharpened in another five.

The WS is definitely less flexible than the Tormek. It won't accept wide blades, and the number of preset angles is limited. But, it excels at what it does do. This thing should have been called "Sharpening for Dummies". So, a demonstration by a novice may actually be a good way to reach your target audience :)

prolfe

New User
Paul Rolfe
Great Bas!!

You are right about not needing to be an expert to do a demo. I think that most people who see your demo would appreciate your humility and can identify with you better than some slick sales showman.

Can you bring your machine? We can use the one on the shelf in the store if you'd rather.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Sure, I can bring my machine, definitely one of the more portable power tools!

I hope you have a good collection of dull chisels in the store for demonstration. Of course, I'm sure we can count on the NCWWers to bring some in as well (and when I say "dull", I don't mean gee-I-wonder-why-the-edge-chipped-when-I-opened-the-paint-can-dull :)). Also need plenty of abrasives, although it's easy to cut your own and attach it with a little spray adhesive. You sell sandpaper, right? :rolf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors