Sanding curved legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Dumb question here but What is the proper way or maybe the proper tool to use to sand curved legs and backs say for a chair. I always seem to get little flat spots along the way. I'm using a drum attachment on a drill press. Any :eusa_thin ideas

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Dirk,

What is the diameter of the drum? Depending on the size of the stock, a larger diameter one might give you better results. I find that true when using my OSS. Just a thought.

Mike

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I agree with Mike, drum size does make a difference. Additionally, David Marks has a thin board that flexes with little knobs on it that he attaches sandpaper. I made one and it does do a pretty good job.

M

McRabbet

For many situations, I use cloth-backed emery paper or an old sanding belt and do it by hand. Much better control.

Rob

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Dumb question here but What is the proper way or maybe the proper tool to use to sand curved legs and backs say for a chair. I always seem to get little flat spots along the way. I'm using a drum attachment on a drill press. Any :eusa_thin ideas

I have just bought a sanding "mop" for such applications. Flap wheels are also available for curved surfaces. Both items are available in various grits through Klingspor. There are other items that help also (such as inflatable drums) if you check out the catalogues.:)

Jerry

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
using a three inch drum. Will try the flex bd. Thanks for the input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS