Rubberwood Substitute for Bunkbeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
I am going to build an extension on my daughters' bunkbeds and I, and they, would like the wood to roughly match. This picture shows the basic structure of what we are trying to get to, but is not their beds. I am going to add on the bed and frame section that come off to the right.

modern-beds.jpg

The bunk beds are inexpensive imports from the Pacific region and made of rubberwood. The stain should be simple enough to match, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a wood that I could use to look like it belongs with the rest of the existing rubberwood and be structurally appropriate.

I thought about using SYP for its strength and cost, but the big grain pattern would look out of place.

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I am not at all familiar with rubberwood, so I really don't have anything helpful to offer. In the not too distant past I built some bunk beds out of maple that looked similar in color to those shown. That said, the design you depicted is interesting...three beds!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Ah, ye olde rubberwood. Interesting stuff. What's the grain/texture of your current bunk beds look like?

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/rubberwood/

You might consider soft maple (aka red maple) in addition to cypress and poplar. In any event it's going to be hard to match the rubberwood grain but the new addition will be stained as well. :dontknow:

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/red-maple/

Janka hardnesslbs/cubic foot
Rubberwood96037
Soft maple95038
Cypress51032
Poplar54029

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had never heard of the link(s) you posted, Jeff. It looks like they would be a good addition to our links library as a valuable reference. Thanks.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Why not use Rubberwood?

For those who are not familiar with rubberwood, it's wood from trees that produce the latex harvested to make rubber. After a certain number of years, the trees cease to produce the latex and then the trees are harvested for use as lumber. Much is then used for furniture. It's a relatively heavy and strong lumber.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
All,

Thanks for your inputs. Maple and poplar did come to mind. Since this is not a heritage project, I was really considering poplar because of the cost. Cypress is an interesting option though.

Howard, I did not figure rubberwood lumber would be that easy to come by. Am I wrong in that assumptoin?

Thanks again.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
>>>> I did not figure rubberwood lumber would be that easy to come by.

Probably true. It took me a couple of lumberyards when I needed some.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Marvin, you might want to check. Just a source I found, not connected, etc...
Jayakas Inc
908 Old Thomasville Rd
High Point, NC, 27260
(336)886-6439

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That has potential although their info states that they're wholesalers. It can't hurt to make a few phone calls and perhaps get hooked up with a few one-off pieces from their stash.

http://www.rubberwoodusa.com/

Marvin, you might want to check. Just a source I found, not connected, etc...
Jayakas Inc
908 Old Thomasville Rd
High Point, NC, 27260
(336)886-6439

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS