Router table question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
I have recently purchased the Jessem Rout-R-Lift FX™. I currently own the Bosch RA1171 Cabinet Style Router Table. I was hoping the new lift would work in the existing table., but it does not. I have a few ideas.

1. Enlarge the current table opening. Since the opening in the table is ~ 1/2" to short and ~1/4" to narrow I could set up guides and route out a larger opening. The problem is the corners are more rounded on the Jessem than the Bosch so it would leave gaps in the corners, ant not sure if I will be able to screw the plate down into the table sine the new holes would be so close to the old.

2. I have a large assemble table I built that I could cut a hole into and mount the plate on it. Then I would make another top that I could put over it out of 1.2 mdf or something so I still would have a usable table. I could then use the fence and power switch from the bosch on the new table.

3. The same as 2 but sell the bosch table, and then buy a new power switch and build a new fence.

4. I have a black-n-Decker workmate than I could built a top that I could put on it when I need to use a router table.

5. Build a new router table

6. Wait and see if I see a great deal on a router table that has a 9-1/4" X 11-3/4" cutout for the insert.

7. Sell the Jessem Rout-R-Lift FX and cut my losses and keep what I have.

Just looking for input, the other caveat is I need to keep costs down. Don't really have the money to spend since I had to just buy a new ac and furnace.

T

toolferone

My first thought is to make a new router table. 2nd, could you make a new top for the Bosch? I would try to keep the lift. You will love having it!

zapdafish

New User
Steve
did you order from Jessem online? I ordered something from them last Fri and have some questions over the process if you did.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I would reroute the top. find a bit the same radius as the plate or use what you have and dont worry about the corners. I have never screwed a plate in place. cut the opening to fit both width and length and drop it in. the only direction it can move is up and your work is on top of it so........ gravity will keep it down.:icon_thum

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
Yes I ordered it from Jessem online.

Thanks for the ideas. I never thought about just replacing the top. That is a good idea.

I guess I can try to enlarge the opening and if I screw up the top build a new one.

now to either make the template or buy the stock one they make specifally for it. I hate to spend more on a template I will only use once, but from other posts I have read everyone who has used it said it made teh whole process simpler.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
Yes I ordered it from Jessem online.

Do you remember how long it took to receive yours? I placed my order last last Thursday night. It stayed in processing till Tues. My credit card showed activity on Friday. On Tuesday they switched the status from proccessing to shipped but the UPS shipping number has been invalid since then. I'm just so looking forward to getting this thing and I am used to Amazon or Hartville tool type of notification where I get notified usually within 12 hrs rather than over a few days and shipping codes are valid once they pass through the first scan point.

I guess I can try to enlarge the opening and if I screw up the top build a new one.
I'd make a template out of mdf. Might as well make it the same size as the current top :). Once you have that, you can use the opening as a template.

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
I think it took about 2 days to ship. I recieved shipment notification with ups tracking number. I would contact them and see what has happened to your order.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
Did you decide on any particular option? I plan on routing out the opening this weeked for my router table and have the same lift.

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
I haven't done anything yet, but for the time being I am going to try and just enlarge my current table. I will eventualy build a new table.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
Hopefully, if ya wait till the weekend is over, might have a template for you to use :eusa_danc

I might get called in to work tho, my project is getting demo'd on Monday morning and over the weekend some people are going to try and bust it :cry_smile. If any bugs pop up, I'm the one thats gonna have to fix it. :confused_

zapdafish

New User
Steve
Got my top almost done and the lift installed. Its a nice snug fit. If you want to use the template I created, let me know. Looks like we live pretty close to each other.

IMG_05944.jpg

View image in gallery

IMG_05952.jpg

View image in gallery

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
That turned out real good. :icon_thum:icon_thum

You're going to like that lift, I've got it and am real happy with it. :thumbs_up

What fence are you using? Looks like it might be one of the Incra models.

Brian.

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
wow nice top, is that left over flooring? I hope to some day to build a bigger router table and have been looing at the incra fence system. but don't have the money for that right now. How do you like the joint tech fence?

zapdafish

New User
Steve
it's the cheapest laminate flooring I could find that was smooth. I wouldnt use it for flooring but for tops, its great.

I haven't had been able to use the fence much. I had the bad luck of buying a very crappy rousseau router plate and a very crappy triton router. If I could give negative star reviews on both I would. On their own they make routing very difficult, together, pretty much impossible except for pattern bits.

If you want to use the template to enlarge your opening just pm me and we can arrange something.

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
Have seen at home depot and lowes the clearance odd box of flooring and always thought I could do something with it. Think there might be a box in my future, Looks like it would make some nice tops in the shop. Anyone ever use it for a fence face. Seems like it would be pretty slick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS