Router question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I need a new hand help router.I have a Hitachi M12v for table use, a porter cable 690 with both bases.
I am looking for a hand held router that accepts the same guide bushings as the 690(porter cable) What other brands out there fit the bill?
Smaller/ lighter than the 690 would be nice for what I have planned for it.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I know that my DW621 fits the PC bushings, I believe I have read that the 618 does, too.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would put my vote in for the DW618 also. But it isn't lighter/smaller than the PC 690. You might consider the new Bosch Colt, it's a laminate trimmer on steriods, definitely smaller and lighter but with ample power, but I am unsure if it accepts the PC style guide bushing. You could fashion a shop built sub-base for it that would.
Dave:)

woodguy1975

New User
John
Maybe look at the Bosch colt router and make you own base to accept the guide bushings. Another option would be the Trend 1 HP plunge router. It is very light and easy to control and will take PC bushings and only runs about $80. I use mine for my inlay work.

John

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
The Bosch Colt is definitely worth a look. The OEM base does not accommodate any bushing's but if you don't want to bother with making your own. Pat Warner offers three different add-on bases for the Colt at his website:

Bosch Trimmer Subbases

I have had the Colt trimmer for about 8 months and have used it for everything from edge treatments to 1/2" stopped dado's in close quarters. I also have the DW618, but find that the Colt gives me a little more control (and balance) when doing edge treatments. The Colt would be great for doing inlay work, with the appropriate base(s) and PC bushings.

Have a look,

Wayne

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I need a new hand help router.I have a Hitachi M12v for table use, a porter cable 690 with both bases.
I am looking for a hand held router that accepts the same guide bushings as the 690(porter cable) What other brands out there fit the bill?
Smaller/ lighter than the 690 would be nice for what I have planned for it.
Are you replacing the 690 or just adding another router?

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Adding another router.
I want to use it in conjunction with an idea I am working for lathe use.
THe Dremel won't accomodate the bits I need and the 690 is a little too bulky to maneuver.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
The Bosch Colt or the Trend. Just take a look at both and see which one fits your needs best:icon_thum

T

toolferone

I will go with the flow and agree the Bosch Colt would be a good choice. It is a laminate trimmer, meaning there are other trimmers on the market that also might work.

M

McRabbet

I'd cast a vote for the Trend plunge router that John endorsed. I bought one last February at the Charlotte Woodworking Show (alas, they won;t have one this next year) and have used it for several handheld operations, including small mortise and tenons, round-overs and circle cutting -- I used it with a 3/8" core box bit to shape the inside of the wine bottle shelves on my recent wine cellar project. Easy to control and being variable speed, it has excellent features, especially for a $70-80 tool!

Rob

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I was really hoping for one that is set up out of the box to accept the PC b shings.I guess its another 690.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Eagle
From what I read here all you need is a $12.00 adapter and the PC bushings will work

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11714

Trend T3 Router

This 3/4" HP router comes with a variable speed motor and a plunge base, making it ideal for light duty woodworking chores like inlay work, shallow hinge mortises, dovetail jigs, sign making, and delicate edge treatments. Removed from the base, the motor unit can be used as a hand held rotary tool to shape, carve, grind, and sharpen. Motor speed is variable from 8,000-32,00 rpm. Includes router with plunge base, edge guide, clip-on vacuum attachment, a 5/8" OD guide bushing, plastic storage case, and collets to accept 6mm, 8mm, and 1/4" shank bits. Optional bushing spacer adapts the router for use with Porter-Cable style template guide bushings. 1 yr. manufacturer's warranty. Imported

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
That base looks deceptively like the plunge base that is on my Dremel.
Do you lock the "plunge" by twisting one of the knobs?

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
I do not know much about the operations of the router but like you I am looking to pick up a new one. With Rob and John indorsing the Trend I started looking into it the and price is right. I am sure someone will let us know the answer

jimwill48

James
How about the Hitachi KM 12VC. Have 3 of them 2 fixed base and one Plunge great routers and will take PC Bushings.

JW

M

McRabbet

Aside from the lever lock, the Trend router also has a three position turret depth stop, too -- my only complaint is with the switch as it is a little hard to slide into its locked position. And the price is right. "Imported" -- it is made in England. Even comes with metric collets.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS