ROS not holding paper

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
My PC ROS with hook and loop paper system won't hold the paper well any more. It's fine while sanding on the wood, but the moment you llift it from the wood the sand paper disk becomes a Frisbee and files across the room. It is a low end sander, and I don't know whether I can replace the hook and loop fastening pad or just chuck it and by a new one. Have any of y'all had this problem and what did you do to solve it?
Thanks for the advice,
Dave:)

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Dave,

I had the same thing happen after several year's use. The H&L wears out with time. You can order a replacement pad from a PC dealer and it is an easy and inexpensive fix. :icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Cool, I was thinking it could be replaced, but you know they make things now days. Nearly disposable:eusa_naug

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I've seen HD and Lowes sell the replacement pads. Varies by store whether or not they do, but I have bought one there in the past.

R

rickc

I had the problem on my PC a while back. What I found was dust had collected between the paper and the pad. I took my air hose and blew off the pad. Maybe you have already done that, but just in case. I do find I need to do that periodically and it returns everything to normal.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Dave, like Rick mentioned, you might try blowing the pad off first and if that does not work then you can replace the pad with a new one. BTW......when you change the pad you should be able to choose between another hook and loop pad or a PSA pad. Personally I have come to like the hook and loop style myself since you can keep swapping out the paper and reusing the paper.

D L

Steve Hooper

New User
Steve
Hi:

The best way to ruin the pad is to try to sand something without haviing sandpaper on it.

The voice of experience!

Steve

hpetty

New User
Hugh
Steve Hooper said:
Hi:

The best way to ruin the pad is to try to sand something without haviing sandpaper on it.

The voice of experience!

Steve

You know Steve I think you're right - I won't say how come I KNOW you're right, but I do. :confused5 :confused5

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I had a pad fall off my PC ROB yesterday and it was because I hadn't blew the dust off that had collected on the hook and loop and the disk was really dusty. I replaced the disk and blew off the sander and eveything was okay. If I am doing a lot of sanding with it I hook it up to my DC and then almost all the dust if sucked away from the wood and the sander.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I know this post is a little late but I just joined.:)
You can order parts for a lot of Porter Cable, DeWalt. Delta, and Black & Decker straight from DeWalt.

Go to www.dewaltservicenet.com/ServiceNet/Logon.asp. You will have to register. After that, you need to know your tool model number (and if its a DeWalt, you may need to look on the ID tag to determine if its Type 1, 2, etc). You may have to go through the tool categories to find what you need. As for ROS sanders, the scroll down lists "sanders, orbital" and " Orbital sanders", and "Sanders". You may need to click each category and then try your tool model to find the right one. This will give you an illustrated parts breakdown. Then you need to do a search for the part. If they have it, you can order it. (As you can see, the site isn't real user-friendly, but it gets easier after a visit or two).
I just ordered a dust shroud and new pad for a DW421 to upgrade my old DW420 to vacuum. Cost me less than $30 and I had the parts in 4 days (that included a weekend).
If the above url doesn't work, Go to www.dewalt.com, click on the Services & Support tab, and then click on the ServiceNet line about mid-page.
Hope this helps someone.:)
Go

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great tip Go, thanks for sharing that.:icon_thum I like how you were able to upgrade your sander for only $30. Sure beats buying a new one. I may have to go see if there are any upgrades for some of the PC and DeWalt tools I have.

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Go for those links, I tried cleaning the base with compressed air, but still ended up playing sanding disk golf this evening. I need to get a new one, and now I know where to go. Thanks for jumping in and being so helpful, you are already an asset to our community:icon_thum .

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks for the compliments.:-D
As for upgrading my sander, I noticed both looked very similar except for the vacuum. When I compared the parts breakdowns, I found the shroud and pad were the only different part numbers. It wasn't sold as an upgrade kit.
As for other brands/models, etc. you may have to try and find one that looks basically the same as yours but has the added features you want and compare the part numbers of the different models to see if what the part mounts to is the same. If they are different brands, the part numbers won't match, but the parts may be interchangeable. This applies to store brands as well. Sears contracts out most of its brands to other mnfgrs, so except for some "window dressing" many parts are interchangeable. The trick is trying to determine who made them! Its easy with appliances because most of the parts houses have cross reference books (ie: kenmore top-line reefers are made by Amana, and the mid range are made by whirlpool, etc). Its a lot harder to determine their craftsmen tools, tho.
Hope this doesn't confuse anyone, but I didn't want to mislead people:-D
Go

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Go, again, thanks for your feedback. I have known for a while that Craftsman contracts their stuff out to be built and its kind of fun sometimes trying to figure out who the actual manufacture is for a given item.

D L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS