Rob Cosman Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herebrooks

New User
Bill
Hi Everyone: I attended the Rob Cosman class given at the Greenville Woodcraft store yesterday and I thought I'd like to give you a few of my impressions. After I attend one of these things, I end up being a little confused because so much came at me so fast. I question my methods of work that I have built up over thirty plus years and want to immediately jump to his level of control and accuracy, like someone who has suddenly seen "the light". I know this won't happen though because of, for one, the cost. He listed his top ten tool choices and I'm sure it was close to ten thousand dollars....and that's just the hand tools! But it's only green paper, right?
Rob's a great guy though, and driven! He started at eight, barely took breaks, and was still there fixing someones plane for them at 8:00, when I left. DRIVEN!
I felt the experience was valuable, and worth the cost of the day long event.(125.00). He implanted many things in my brain yesterday that will take weeks if not years to sort out. For the cost conscious, and who isn't, I think his dvd's are the way to go, plus you can lend them to your friends and visa versa.
I attended the seminar with some students from Warren Wilson College who are part of a fledgling furniture making program that I'm helping out with, most of whom had never been exposed to this level of craftsmanship. I'm hoping Rob inspired them to learn to sharpen meticulously and take the time to fit that joint a little closer. I'm hoping that for myself as well.
Bill

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the class. I've thought about taking a class some day and the price seems a bit high. But I guess there's travel costs, salaries to pay, overhead for the shop space, and so on.

What skill level is the class meant for? I didn't word that right. I meant to ask, in your opinion, what skill level would get the most benefit from the class you attended?

Chuck

Herebrooks

New User
Bill
Hi Chuck:This class was very general, with no hands on other than trying his saw or planes. He did three sections. Sharpening and hand planes, dovetails, and mortise and tenon. He has the gift of gab so there was a running commentary during each three hour session. An apt description I read somewhere was,"like drinking from a fire hose".
I'd recommend buying one of his videos, it's basically the same as his class, then pass it around to your friends.
At this point, I really don't know the importance of me taking the class. Check with me in six months.
Bill

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Thanks for the class report!

I totally relate to the one day overload. It never ceases to amaze me how classes like that come back again and again.

Did you get to try out his brand of dovetail saw?

Jim

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I go back and forth on whether overview or concentrated training is better, and not just in woodworking. I guess you really need some of each so you can make the best choice about what to get concentrated training in. I have to agree with Chuck that it seems a little high for a one day seminar with no hands on or individual instruction, particularly if he hawked any of his own line of tools. But there really isn't a substitute for spending time with a master craftsman.

Herebrooks

New User
Bill
Hi Jim: I did get to try his dovetail saw during one of the breaks. It's great! It has finer teeth at the end of the blade to get the cut started and more aggressive ones toward the handle. It is quite heavy to allow the saw to employ the downward pressure. It has about a 2" depth of cut. The kerf is very fine, I think he said .025". The best part, as I'm concerned, was the ease with which it can be sharpened. Using a Tage Frid type holder(which Rob made) you just file at 90 degrees from one side with a narrow edged triangular file.
It's expensive at around 300.00, but probably a lifetime tool if you don't lend it out.
I own a handmade japanese dovetail saw which I've had for 20 years, otherwise I'd have a Cosman saw right now.
Bill

Herebrooks

New User
Bill
Hj: One more note about the Cosman class. He uses Lie Nielsen chisels which come from the factory ground at a thirty degree bevel. Rob regrinds them to 25 degree(slightly sharper).

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I've always wanted to take a class. Even though it is an information overload, sometimes getting all of that info pounded into your head makes it sink in and then it shows in all kinds of areas. :icon_thum

b4man

New User
Barbara
I've seen Cosman on YouTube. He does a pretty impressive dovetail presentation. He has several videos on YouTube. Check it out.

Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors