River (Frozen) Table Finished!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
The idea for this project started with postings by Jeremy (Jeremy) and John (JohnnyR) when they posted their RIver/Lake projects involving epoxy pours. I was intrigued by the beauty of their projects and began to wonder what I could do. My original thought was to do something small, but when I began look around our house, the kitchen table drew my attention. The table, while nice, wasn't anything special...when we bought the house we asked that the table and chairs convey with the house since we didn't have anything large enough for the space. When I talked to my wife about the idea of building a river table for the dining area, she initially wasn't too excited. Her lack of enthusiasm was based on the fact that everything I showed her had a blue river; she likes blue but it doesn't go with our decor. She then asked if we could do something lighter, which led us to this project. Please note, I did not build an entire new table, I simply built a new top....the table base and chairs were repainted off-white.

The top is made from hard maple and is refinished with OSMO. The table base and chairs were sprayed (Earlex 5500) with 3 coats of Sherwin Williams primer and then topped with 4 coats of General Finishes White Waterborne Poly which we tinted off-white to match the kitchen island that I built a couple of years back. We are very pleased with the outcome of this project, it really brightens the room.

Here are some pics:
Old Table

Old Chairs

New River Table Top and refurbished base and chairs
394370C3-5FA0-42A4-A9FA-AEC4984586E7.jpg
F574C0DC-7691-47AD-8E91-91F3C2CBAD01.jpg
F574C0DC-7691-47AD-8E91-91F3C2CBAD01.jpg
434C4E6B-4BF8-406F-884F-E6315AB54878.jpg

72A15194-362E-4D2B-980D-9EF2308349E1.jpg

Last edited:

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Wait. That wood on the table top was hidden under that finish? Just bringing that out alone would have been a greatly successful project. I do like the subdued epoxy river you added. That makes it hugely successful!

Very nice work.

Reactions: drw

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Wait. That wood on the table top was hidden under that finish? Just bringing that out alone would have been a greatly successful project. I do like the subdued epoxy river you added. That makes it hugely successful!

Very nice work.
Thank you for your kind comments. The current top is totally new, built by laminating 25 hard maple strips together, then cutting the river. I think the old top was oak or ash.

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
I tend to agree with your wife, most river tables look gaudy with the blue IMO. I have never seen one not blue and you knocked it out of the park!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
That came out beautifully Donn! Now, what are you going to do when it thaws?
John that is a good question. If and when I do something else, it will be smaller/lighter! Also, thank you for the OSMO tip, it is an awesome finish.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Really beautiful! Great choice of woods and color matches. The linear variegations in the table are perfectly offset by the curved river.
Excellent job!!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
That is a remarkable transformation. Which epoxy did you end up using? Looks great!
Mark, I used Liquid Glass, which was recommended by some of the online pros. It worked very well, but it took a very long time to cure. Since we added pigment, it was recommended that we stir the mix in every hour until the epoxy started to get "stiff" (the purpose was to keep the pigment particles suspended) but it took 17 hours before the mix began to stiffen.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS