Rikon bandsaw and cool block question

Status
Not open for further replies.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I searched the forum and could not find what I'm looking for.

I have a new Rikon 10-325 14" bandsaw and was wondering if I can run cool blocks on it for when I use a 3/16" blade? Do they even make cool blocks for this bandsaw? I've seen them listed for all different bandsaw's but Rikon is never mentioned. Is there something else I can use? I'm looking to make some bandsaw boxes using a 3/16" blade and don't want to kill the blade with the factory rollers that came with the saw.

Thanks for any help.

Red

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I searched the forum and could not find what I'm looking for.

I have a new Rikon 10-325 14" bandsaw and was wondering if I can run cool blocks on it for when I use a 3/16" blade? Do they even make cool blocks for this bandsaw? I've seen them listed for all different bandsaw's but Rikon is never mentioned. Is there something else I can use? I'm looking to make some bandsaw boxes using a 3/16" blade and don't want to kill the blade with the factory rollers that came with the saw.

Thanks for any help.

Red

Red,

My plan for this same situation is to get the Carter Stabilizer. It's worth checking out, I've never personally used one but the vids on the site are incredibly convincing. I believe Ken uses one and has had good experiences with it.

I'll add that I did have pretty good success getting the factory guides setup for a 3/16" blade. There's just enough meat there to keep the teen in front of the guides. I cheated a bit and made the back roller a bit tighter against the back of the blade than I normally would just to make sure the teeth didn't get pushed between the side guides. The idea actually came from the carter vids as the stabilizer setup has you spring load the guide a bit to keep it from pulling out.

Travis

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Thanks. I guess I'll play around with the factory guides and see what I can do. The Carters are out of the question price wise right now. I'm lucky I was able to get the bandsaw! I'll continue looking to see if the cool blocks will work.

Red

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
It's not a problem Red. I'll post pics in the morning. It's simply drilling a hole in each cool block and using them in place of the rollers.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
It's not a problem Red. I'll post pics in the morning. It's simply drilling a hole in each cool block and using them in place of the rollers.

Thanks Ken. Looking forward to the pics. Also, what size cool block do I need?

Red

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Red these are 1/2" cool blocks. Remove the roller bearings and use the stock screws to mount the cool blocks.

10-325%20cool%20blocks.JPG

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Thanks Ken for showing the pics. When you say 1/2", it looks to be 1/2" square blocks. Next time I hit Woodcraft, I'll pick some up. I was afraid to start taking the rollers apart not knowing if it will all work. Thanks again.

I just got some resaw blades and a 3/16" for bandsaw boxes in the mail. Need to get it fired up and try some cutting.

Red

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Thanks Ken for showing the pics. When you say 1/2", it looks to be 1/2" square blocks. Next time I hit Woodcraft, I'll pick some up. I was afraid to start taking the rollers apart not knowing if it will all work. Thanks again.

I just got some resaw blades and a 3/16" for bandsaw boxes in the mail. Need to get it fired up and try some cutting.

Red
Did you get 10 tpi 3/16 blades, Red?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors