Rigid flex vacuum attachment

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I got one of these little jewels from WoodCraft to try to improve how I use my vacuum as a DC. They have a new one that comes with two attachments for only $20.

Here it is set up for power carving:

vaccarve.JPG

Here it is at the lathe:

vaclathe.JPG

It does not suck in all the chips when turning, but does a pretty good job of getting the finer dust. I actually run it through 2 daisy chained ShopVacs:

vacuums.JPG

The big one is not plugged in. It has the hose from the dust source going in to it and the hose from the little one on its outlet port. The big one just has a foam filter and the little one has a HEPA CleanStream. So the big one is my chip collector and a surprisingly large amount of the fines drop in there as well.

One important note about the rigid flex is that it connects like a hose, not an accessory. So you need a connection sized for a hose, or a coupler. I have a coupler that I duct taped to a clamp that came with a chair umbrella or something that is just right for attaching to a work top.

That actually worked out well in general, because I have an adapter and smaller hose:

smallhose.JPG

That I can use for some quick cleaning up and to connect to my uhm, "stationary" belt sander:

beltsand.JPG

One clamp keeps it from going anywhere and it sits right on the lathe bed. Very little dust escapes.

I am pretty pleased with how this all works out for what I do.

Glennbear

Glenn
Interesting attachment Andy, am I correct in assuming that being "rigid flex" it stays at the angle and configuration you set it at without additional support ? I currently use a flexible gooseneck microphone stand with collection hose mounted on it but this gizmo you show here is pretty neat. :wsmile:

CarvedTones

Andy
Yes, you have it right but it is picky about what shape it will take and retain. There is a more expensive on that holds pretty much any form better, but this is fine for me.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Andy,

Thanks for sharing your insights on this item. I had been thinking bout getting one, but waiting till it goes on sale, free ship, etc........

So far the planets have not all aligned.

They will. always do!

Matt

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Are those Rigid brand or the rigid flex hoses sold by WW suppliers? In any case they are neat! I have some of the cheap ones on my drill press and one I still need to mount on my mortiser.

I need to get nozzles like you have though. Is that a Rigid nozzle or one from Loc-Line? Did you need to buy or make an adapter for it to fit the rigid flex?

Loc-Line (brand) nozzle:

media.nl

CarvedTones

Andy
This is an all in one package from WoodCraft. It is not Loc-Line; not nearly as rigid. It is a little finicky about the shapes it will take. It came with both the yellow attachments. They, and the hose, are lightly built and could be crushed a lot easier than the more expensive ones. Not too easily, but it is obvious why this set is cheaper. I am not disappointed, but I don't want to give you the impression it is on par with the more expensive stuff. It works fine, but if you might smack it with lumber from time to time, get Loc-Line instead.

For point of reference, I think you would spend around $50 to get Loc-Line with the fittings that come in this $20 package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS