Ridge Carbide Northwoods Dado-Master Set

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Currently I am using a cheap dado set called "Avenger". They cut well, but don't have a perfectly flat bottom (which I desire).

I own a Ridge Carbide blade and it's great. Now I'm looking for a dado set and see they offer one.

Does anyone out here use the Ridge Carbide Northwoods Dado-Master Set ... and if so what do you think about it?

Are there better dado blade sets available in the same price range ($190 from Holbren)?

M

McRabbet

Without question, I think the best dado set on the market is the Freud SD-508, which is $199.99 at Amazon.com (plus a discount may apply) -- I have had mine for about 2 years (bought it at the Charlotte Woodworking Show for $169) and it cuts very square dados and does not chip out the surface veneer on plywoods or hardwoods. I has 24-tooth outer blades that are full 1/8", and enough chippers to take you all the way to 13/16". Very good and accurate metal shims are included to fine tune to the odd sizes of plywood we all encounter. See Amazon.com: Freud SD508 8" Super Dado Set with Anti-Kickback Design: Tools & Hardware. They also make a 6" version for a little less money (the SD-506). I do not recommend the SD-608, which is more expensive and has a dial-a-width feature to set the widths. It's hubs are thick enought that you cannot go wider than 3/4" on some saw arbors (I've read that, but do not have personal experience with it).

Rob

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I can't comment on the Ridge Carbide dado set, but if it's anywhere near as good as their TS2000 blade, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
I have the Freud SD208 ($95 at Lowes or Amazon) and so far, I'm very happy with it. It's about half the price of the SD508, but it's got 2 tooth chippers (vs. 4) and 12 tooth outer blades (vs. 24). It cuts a very flat bottom dado, provided it's on a good arbor. On my old $99 delta TS, I couldn't get a flat bottom worth anything and I think it's because there was too much slop on the arbor. It doesn't force all the tips to cut in the same plane. On the Uni, this set cuts fantastically.
I guess what I'm trying to say is - the dado set itself isn't the only thing that contributes to your dados not having flat bottoms. I'm sure that the arbor on your new sawstop is fine, just a warning to others to make sure that their dado blades fit tightly on the arbor before condemning the dado blades.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
I have the $ 90 Frued set and used it for cutting tenons on my sons crib, couldn't have asked for a better finish or result.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Sounds like the Freud dado sets are winner out here ... I'm going to have find the best deal possible on these! Maybe at the Hickory show ... ?

Thanks for all of the feedback! :icon_thum

M

McRabbet

Klingspor has them in their catalog for $199.95, so when you use your handy-dandy NCWW.Net 10% discount, you cover more than the taxes on it! I'm sure you will see them at the show and you may get a better price then...

Rob

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Thanks for the endorsements/comments on the SD-208, It is very likely that LOML will not allow me to spend more than that... I hadn't seen reports on it before.

Brian

New User
Brian
I have a Freud SD608 I'll sell for $200 to anyone that wants it plus $10 for shipping anywhere in the US. It is brand new and never used or even taken out of the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS