Rich in Cary

Status
Not open for further replies.

richidoo

New User
Rich
I came across NCWW today searching google for info about cutting aluminum. The thread was focused and very informative, thanks! So I figured what the heck, I'll join. I'm looking forward to learning a lot from the site, and having a place to ask questions about my projects.

I am a stay at home dad, I have three kids (and a wife too:) I have a Ridgid contractor saw, porter cable router, skilsaw, jigsaw, dado blade, circle router guides, hole saws, 11 bar clamps, one chipped chisel, a box cutter, stack of sand paper and a gallon bottle of titebond. The perfect ingredients for a satisfying day out in the driveway. I also have some old Sherline miniature metal working tools which I enjoy using once in a while.

I mostly build loudspeakers and acoustic treatments to support my audio hobby, but the woodworking part of it is very satisfying. I build stuff for the house occasionally, and kids projects.

I live in the south side of Cary near Holly Springs. I hope to meet some of you eventually.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Nice to hear from you Rich! I build audio/speaker stuff occasionally to. Do you design your own? Or have you built some of the great documented designs out there? I don't live far from you either.
Salem

richidoo

New User
Rich
Thanks guys! You have a nice place here. Kudos to the site programmer. Wow!! Nice job.

eyekode, I have built some from plans and starting to design my own now. Maybe we can hook up.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Rich!:icon_cheers

Lot's of us here around you in Apex, Cary and HollySprings. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

You have found a great site for learning, showing off your projects and a great place to get those puzzling questions answered.

Post often and be sure include pictures of your projects.

Stay safe around those power tools and by all means have fun!:wsmile:

Wayne

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Rich, welcome the the best source of WW'ing on the web.

Do you also build cabs for amp speakers?

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Rich,

Welcome to NCWW. I'm sure you'll love this place. I'd suggest that you look for one of our members, named MrAudio815. He's (Matthew) built some speakers too.

Just in case you haven't heard yet, we do love photos here. You can upload photos of your projects, your work in progress, tools, the shop, piles of sawdust, and so on.

richidoo

New User
Rich
Creepers! I belong to a few forums, but I never had a welcome as warm as this. But then, this is the only woodworking forum I belong to, and the only all NC natives forum too - so no wonder! Thanks again guys for the warm welcome.

Pictures, yes, I'll post some pictures. I see the photo gallery tab waaaaay up top... I'll check it out.

Lefty, I have never built a guitar amp cabs, because I play the trumpet! But I remember carrying those heavy cabs when I played in bands. Do you play guitar/bass?

I forgot to mention, I have a tiny little Microlux 4" table saw and disk sander for making precise miniature parts when I used to build model sailplanes. Now I use them for making geometric models, like polyhedra. But I haven't made any in a while. It will be fun to get back into that again. I know, I know... pictures! :thumbs_up

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome to NCWWer, Rich!
It's great to add diversified knowledge and skills to the site :icon_thum
I've never attempted to build a speaker but seem to have a habit of acquiring vintage speakers :confused_

BTW, you need to sharpen that chisel and put it to work :gar-Bi

Roger

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the site, Rich! Looking forward to reading your input to the forums and I just have one question -- what do you use the chipped chisel for? We got lots of folks that can help it make chips if you want!

richidoo

New User
Rich
It's chipped because I tried to use it unwisely once, I don't even remember what I was doing, but I remember my reaction at ruining the edge! I just bought it to do a specific repair, fix a screen door I think. but I find myself using it once in a while. Even chipped and dull it is still useful. I don't have a grinder to sharpen it.

I like vintage speakers too, Roger. I am supposed to be helping a friend sell a pair of old Cerwin Vega D9 dorm party speakers. :eusa_danc

eyekode

New User
Salem
Creepers! I belong to a few forums, but I never had a welcome as warm as this. But then, this is the only woodworking forum I belong to, and the only all NC natives forum too - so no wonder! Thanks again guys for the warm welcome.

Pictures, yes, I'll post some pictures. I see the photo gallery tab waaaaay up top... I'll check it out.

Lefty, I have never built a guitar amp cabs, because I play the trumpet! But I remember carrying those heavy cabs when I played in bands. Do you play guitar/bass?

I forgot to mention, I have a tiny little Microlux 4" table saw and disk sander for making precise miniature parts when I used to build model sailplanes. Now I use them for making geometric models, like polyhedra. But I haven't made any in a while. It will be fun to get back into that again. I know, I know... pictures! :thumbs_up

If you are into small parts you may want to check out cubicdissection on this forum too (https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/member.php?u=2151 ). He makes some wicked puzzles and is located in in downtown Raleigh.
Salem

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Welcome to the Site Rich,

NCWW is a great site and you will find many friends from this site. And get many reply's to your forum's, as you stated.

I'd love to see your Loudspeaker's you have made.

I have made a few transmission line Towers, but my laste speaker set, that are now in the front room and enjoyed much are with Dayton Woofer & midrange and a Vifa tweeter. They sound excellent~!!! I also customed made the crossover for them. That took some time.

They are my avatar (The Black ones). The ones in my Signature are the ones I made in 9th grade. I did however upgrade the tweeter and midrange to Vifa and custom made the crossover for them as well. Great sound~!

Where do you buy your parts? And have you designed your own crossover's or go off plans? Have you done the 1, 2, 3, or 4th order crossover's and in the butterworth or linkwitz-riley style?

Looking forward to your post and input.

richidoo

New User
Rich
Thanks Matt! Sorry for the slow response. It's good to know there are a couple speaker builders here. I will get some pics into my gallery today.

Your speakers look great! Vifa makes some great drivers. I have not done a passive crossover from scratch yet, I know it's hard to do the final tuning well. I use a digital crossover for my multiway projects. But lately been just single drivers.

I've built a half dozen cabinets around a pair of Feastrex full range drivers that I got a few years ago. I've built horn loaded reflex boxes, sealed, open baffle for those drivers, still experimenting. I built a giant sealed sub for a friend last summer. I'm starting to design a 3 way with Audio Elegance drivers, or maybe Accuton. Waiting for weather to warm so I can get cuttin. I don't have dust collection, so I work out in the driveway when the weather permits. I'm also thinking about building a line array speaker. I like to experiment. :) I want to make a spherical driver enclosures so I'm looking forward to learning about wood turning on the forum.

I buy speaker parts from PartsExpress, and Madisound. Most electronic parts for amps and such from Mouser. I prefer low order crossovers, 2nd order is OK, and I have a pair of commercial speakers with 1st order 2 way speaker. The steep filters I have heard are not my cup of tea, it's so hard to make good LR4 filters. So I use a digital crossover when I need a steep filter like open baffle stuff.

Doing a lot of experimenting with single driver full range speakers now using current source amplifiers.
Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS