Remember the Golden Rule of propotions when you build

Status
Not open for further replies.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
http://vanseodesign.com/web-design/golden-section-proportions/

I use the Golden Rule/Ratio when I design or modify a piece I am planning to build. I am not "handcuffed" to the concept but it seems to have endured centuries of building. Before we had computers and programs like Sketch Up, builders used proportions to scale things on all sorts of projects. It is easy on the eye when its close or spot on to the basic 1:61 rule.

Here is a piece I am being asked to reproduce and the proportions are just ... unusual. The builder was not trained in a formal setting. There are too many departures in basic design to take up your time but its worth looking at it from a design perspective. The cabinet has charm but its missing some important elements that would make it "special" both then and now.

Most folks would view it casually and think: It looks like a man with short legs and a long body. There is an uneasiness to the top being so big compared to the bottom case. It just doesn't say.. this fits.

Take a look at the site above for a quick summary of the Golden Rule/Ratio. It might be something to factor in your next design.

Edit for clarity: Known in 18th construction planning as the Golden Rule. It is referred to as the Golden Ratio when dating back to Greek designs using dividers for planning. Remember no yardsticks or tape measures back then.

Dan

xx_173.JPG

Last edited:

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Dan, I get what you are saying and I would agree that the piece doesn't look as "elegant" as it would if appropriately proportioned. That said, I do think it looks very functional. Thanks for the lesson on the importance of proportion!

JGregJ

Greg
User
Perhaps I'm being dense and given there are no measurements provided I can't do the math, but seems this design is not that far off. Consider defining A as the top of the piece and C the center, B the bottom - just eyeballing it seems close. Are you saying if this was measured it would not be exactly the 1.618. Alternately, seems you are suggesting it seems upside down and should be smaller on the top. But I don't think the ratio has a required orientation.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Perhaps I'm being dense and given there are no measurements provided I can't do the math, but seems this design is not that far off. Consider defining A as the top of the piece and C the center, B the bottom - just eyeballing it seems close. Are you saying if this was measured it would not be exactly the 1.618. Alternately, seems you are suggesting it seems upside down and should be smaller on the top. But I don't think the ratio has a required orientation.
Have a look at this and it may help...
https://www.mathsisfun.com/numbers/images/golden-section.gif

bbrown

Bill
User
I think reducing the width of the upper part would be an improvement. But the general proportions seem good otherwise.

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Crown section above the top doors could be a little heavier, but having worked on a LOT of bob timberlake furniture, the proportions seem reasonable to me.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I think it looks pretty sweet as is.
Then again I have short legs and a long body...

I'm in the same boat. No pun here.

The Golden Ratio/Golden Mean/Golden Rule of Proportion is a guide not a rule of course. It comes in to use for me when I am viewing a picture or something someone sends along with no measurements. I use dividers, pieces of paper with tick marks or whatever is handy to compare dimensions. In the earlier pictures, I was pointing out the rather tall upper case when viewed together with the lower case. I was attempting to point out a builder who was exceeding a classic rule and I assumed he just wasn't aware of it. Maybe he didn't care and he really needed more storage use so the priority was space over dimensions. In any case, I am limited on altering the piece as the customers want exact reproductions if they can finally decide on the wood. Their first choice was walnut until they saw a piece I was finishing made of curly maple. So...

From comments from viewers, everybody looks at it a bit differently and there certainly is room for departures from the Golden Ratio for countless reasons... its just a guide to consider when planning.

Looking at the 3 pieces below, you can see 3 different proportions. They all work but I have a favorite. Somehow the height of pieces juxtaposed like these stacked cases makes the size very important to me to make it work in a visual sense.

We'll see how it goes. I'll post some photos if the commission solidifies here.

later
Dan

xx_173.JPG

linenpress_irion1.jpg

image-31.jpg

Kent Adams

New User
Kent Adams
Dan, until you posted the comparative pictures, I thought I liked the original piece, but that 2nd picture there, looks much more elegant with the top portion narrower than the bottom portion. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS