RC's answer the FK's 3 min DT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wow. That's all I can say. Although I liked FK's use of a big bow saw. And of course, "if it doesn't fit, don't force it, use a bigger hammer!".

But Rob's dovetails definitely look awesome.

What's next, gang-cutting all four pieces of a drawer in < 5 minutes? Cutting dovetails blindfolded with a chainsaw? Should be a good rivalry..... :)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
very nice BUT he owes me at least 2 beers!:gar-La; at least twice I observed him laying his plane on the bench with the blade down.:gar-Cr Never do that....... It will cost you a beer in my shop.:rotflm:

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
at least twice I observed him laying his plane on the bench with the blade down. Never do that.......

His logic is that there a greater chance to damage the blade of a plane laying on its side (by hitting it with a chisel, bench dog, etc.) than there is causing any harm by sitting if blade down on a flat bench. Makes sense to me. As it is designed to be used "blade down". :eusa_thin

pete

DavidF

New User
David
His logic is that there a greater chance to damage the blade of a plane laying on its side (by hitting it with a chisel, bench dog, etc.) than there is causing any harm by sitting if blade down on a flat bench. Makes sense to me. As it is designed to be used "blade down". :eusa_thin

pete

I was just about the say the same thing. Unless you put it down on top of a screw or someother nasty thing then blade down on a bench is fine, certainly that's what I always do. Much more likely to bump something into it if the "working" part is exposed - Guess I owe you plenty of beer Fred....:rotflm:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

pete

I guess that would make sense if your bench is always kept pristine. Mine never is.:gar-Bi if I accidently set it in some metal filings or on a stray screw or nail and I would be mumbling something under my breath. I have always set them on the side with the blade facing away from the work in progress. I bought many beers to learn this!:rotflm: my workbench top id MDF. you never know what might be hiding in that stuff.:embaresse

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I was just about the say the same thing. Unless you put it down on top of a screw or someother nasty thing then blade down on a bench is fine, certainly that's what I always do. Much more likely to bump something into it if the "working" part is exposed - Guess I owe you plenty of beer Fred....:rotflm:

gee wizzzz......... Looks like I picked a BAD DAY to quit drinkin!:gar-Cr

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
when I started out many years ago I worked for a cantankerous ol coot that was absolutely anal about this. If he saw me do it it cost a beer for the whole crew for each occurance.:gar-Cr back then we worked on the jobsite without the luxury of a bench. We rarely used anything other than a block plane and the flat surface we worked on might be a ladder or a concrete or dirt floor. Normally your block plane was in the tool bag but you know how that goes if you've ever worked in the field. I guess the habit stuck.:cool: old habits die hard.

RayH

New User
Ray
Hey Fred,

I'm another old coot who likes the blade clear and away from the work. :icon_thum

That's our story and we are sticking to it!!!:eek:ccasion1

Ray

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
What I took away from this is the fret saw blade. When I cut dovetails my biggest time consumer is the remove of tail or pin with a chisel. Frank's earlier videos showed the removal of the tail/pin using a chisel and from my experience, it sucks the enjoyment out of the handcut dovetails.

I have a fret say but I don't think I have good blades. Anybody know where one can get good blades? Or is this something one always needs to send out to have sharpened before use.

tv

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Cool video!

Does anyone know where to find a light fixture like Rob uses on his video? That would really help when cutting the waste out with a coping saw. It's tough for me to see the baselines with my overhead fluorescent lights.

I'd also like to find some blades for my coping saw that have a tight turning radius/small kerf like the saw Rob uses. I've been using red oak drawer stock and chopping out the waste isn't as easy as with softer stock.

Chuck

woodArtz

New User
Bob
That'll make you want to ditch your dovetail jig... The little DT saw cut through that pine like it was butta'. Cool!

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
What's the big shiny thing he used at the end? Do I need one?

It's called a plane and that one looks like the Lie-Nielsen clone of the Stanley Bedrock 605. That will only set you back several large ...

And yes - you absolutely must have one and Santa Claus could be coming soon if you have been a good boy ...

:gar-La;

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Coping saw vs. Fret saw . . .
In his dvd Rob stresses the fact that the saw is a fret saw NOT a coping saw.
(I didn't know there was a difference)
His fret saw has a very heavy, stiff frame that allows it to make the sharp turns and saw straight. I've been using an elcheapo coping saw with less than stellar results. I did a Google search and didn't find one like he was using. I'll try sending him an email but knowing him it will probably be a $500 saw!

UPDATE: I found that he is selling a fret saw on his website:
http://www.robcosman.com/dvd.php
(Scroll down a bit)
It's not the one he uses in his first video but I guess it's pretty good. $48 with 12 blades.

pete

Last edited:
M

McRabbet

Pete,

I have an adjustable frame Fret Saw like the one shown here from Woodcraft (I always knew it as a "Jeweler's Saw"). They also have good assortments of blades (the fret saw blade assortment of 36 blades for $12.99 looks like a deal!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors