Rant Mode on---HVAC Tech in Raleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
It seems that after a hard weekend of work my blower motor on my furnace has decided that it doesn't want to work very well anymore. Can't say I blame it as it has been on OT all weekend. That said can anyone recommend an HVAC repair service in the Ral/Cary area? Or is changing the motor cake and should I just be thinking a DIY approach? :icon_scra

Last edited:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Re: Recommend HVAC Tech in Raleigh

Changing the blower motor isn't hard in most cases. Finding somewhere you can buy one is almost impossible.....

I use Bunn Heating and Air. Good service, good prices, good response.

Skymaster

New User
Jack

If there is a Grainger around they may have a motor that might do it

mkepke

Mark
Senior User

I'll second the vote for Matson Mechanical. I've also used Rural Plumbing and Heating and been happy - although it was only one job (replaced condensor coils).

-Mark

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member

It seems that after a hard weekend of work my blower motor on my furnace has decided that it doesn't want to work very well anymore. Can't say I blame it as it has been on OT all weekend. That said can anyone recommend an HVAC repair service in the Ral/Cary area? Or is changing the motor cake and should I just be thinking a DIY approach? :icon_scra

It's not a big deal to replace a blower motor. If you have a Grainger supply nearby, they can match you up with the right motor. Just make sure that your turn the power off before you work on it and that capacitors do not automatically discharge just because you turn the power off.

One of the toughest parts can be getting the squirrel cage off the shaft. Get some good penetrating oil and apply liberally to where the squirrel cage slides on the motor shaft and to the hex screw that holds it in place.

Note were the wires go, or better yet, take a couple of color photos. It's about a two hour job.

Pete

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe

I've used Carter HVAC for years.
I've also changed out blower motors as well. As already mentioned, mark/photograph the wiring. Last one I changed had different color coding, so don't rely on that. Record the L1...T1, etc. connections. Some heat on the pulley shaft will help get the cage off. Of course, pop the breaker(s) first.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy

We have been happy with Bolton. We started with Metro (now ARS) many years ago and had a litany of troubles and switched to a small outfit out of FV we were happy with and they sold out to Bolton a few years ago. Bolton is a huge outfit and I was worried it might be another Metro style nightmare, but service has contined to be very good.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray

I just had my whole (downstairs) system replaced by Lee Carroll. He and his sons have been taking care of my systems since we moved in 19 years ago. I can't say enough nice things about him. I recommend him highly.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member

I just had both my heat pump systems replaced (heat pumps and air handlers) by Ellis Heating and Air Conditioning. I highly recommend him. He did what he said for the price he quoted and actually "went the extra mile" in a few instances. When the county inspectors came, they even commented on what good work he did. Locally owned, honest, and a hard worker. Here's his web site: http://www.ellishvacinc.com/

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member

The calls have been made, we'll see who can get here today. Woke up and the blower had completely stopped working, don't have time to fool with this so just made the calls. Thanks for all the recommendations.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User

Better start rubbing sticks together Gary ! It's chilly out there today.

-Mark

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member

Better start rubbing sticks together Gary ! It's chilly out there today.

-Mark

Took the day off to wait on the guys and keep the heat up. Have the kero heater going, a nice fire, the dryer is going with a freash load of cloths, the bread is in the oven rising so I have an excuse to run the oven. Despite the blang heater being all fouled up it actually is a nice day. The bummer is I cann't be in the shop too, as the kero is what heats the shop...

DaveD

New User
Dave
Re: How to wait for a HVAC Tech in Raleigh

Cash's Appliance Parts in Raleigh can usually fix you up with the motor. If not in stock they get it in a day or two. Also good for stove/dryer/washer parts. Always my go to place for the last 35 years.
Their address is:
5512 Old Wake Forest Rd
Raleigh, NC 27609
(919) 790-1331

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member

Changing the motor or the entire squirrel cage fan is a simple DIY job if you are at all mechanically inclined. The first squirrel cage fan I got for a shop air cleaner years ago, ended up in my furnace when bearings went on that one. In that case the fan was belt-driven so I replaced the fan unit and used the original motor, but it wouldn't have been any more difficult if I had to change the motor in a direct drive unit or the whole fan unit.

Really, these things are so modular any more so the can be assembled by monkeys quickly with just a few sheet metal screws, an electric nut driver, and pre-wired electrical connectors. Since yours is shot, take the cabinet apart and see what you have. What can it hurt?

I have had problems with my HVAC recently- kept shutting down. Inspection revealed a bad eductor motor (combustion chamber fan) and a bad heat exchanger- all replaced under warranty. However . . . the repair man knocked some of the cabinet insulation into the hot air plenum which caused the unit to randomly shut down when it sensed reduced flow. The repairman came back and fixed that. I also noticed the humidifier wasn't working- called them back but before they got here I discovered the control wire laying in the dirt next to the unit- they had cut it when doing the other work!!! They fixed it and it apparently tested fine. Nope, not so fast! I noticed the humidifier was staying on or could be turned on when the furnace wasn't running- dang! they must have wired it to an "always on" source of 24V instead of one that was only live when the furnace was on! It is really bad when you know just little about HVAC but it turns out to be almost as much as the repair guy!!! Still waiting for a call-back on the humidifier.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

Gary, it's probably too late, but I'd also encourage you to swap the motor yourself. Graingers should have something in stock that you could make work.

Mine died in the middle of the night on Fathers Day two years ago, and it was extremely hot that year. The Graingers Manager met me at their store at 7 am to get me a replacement. Can't beat that service!

Scott

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
OK, so the HVAC guy comes out today and looks at my unit- You have a bad blower motor he tells me. NO crap, as if I didn't know that. I don't have that motor on the truck or in stock(special motor mounts needed.) Here is what I can do he say, I can change the capacitator, take out the old motor lube it and buy you some time until the new one comes in and I'll have so and so call you with a quote, but the motor will run somwhere around $200.00. He also advises that it is an easy change out and I may want to DIY it. OK cool. He take the thing apart puts a few drops of lube in and gets it spinning again. $100.00 later he leaves my heater is up and running. OK now to track down the motor. Well that is easier said than done. (inthe meantime the motor stops again)The HVAC stores that have it in Ral, are only wholesale. But as luck would have it the only local store that is retail is in Goldsboro only 1.5 hrs away. Oh and it's now 4:30 and they close at 5. Oh yeah they don't ship either and don't have the motor only but do have the whole assembly, and he's only gonna charge me retail. $158.00(motor only is $107+)

OK I saw him take it apart cake. as Alan said a "trained monkey could do it." I set up to take it all apart. No prob take it apart and unlike the repiar guy CLEAN the entire motor assembly with electric cleaner, clean the cage, clean the blower, you know CLEAN IT. Clean the old oil from the ports, and fill with new until it runs CLEAN. put it all back together and install it. Flip the switch and it runs like new. While it was out I manage to get the blower assembly part # as I was working with the heater part # earlier. NOw it is time to go looking for a good souce(read cheap) for the motor.

So in short it cost me $100.00 to be told that my blower motor was bad and have a baindaid put on it. The good news is it only cost me $100.00 to learn how to change a blower motor I know is bad.:gar-La;

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
OK, so the HVAC guy comes out today and looks at my unit- You have a bad blower motor he tells me. NO crap, as if I didn't know that. I don't have that motor on the truck or in stock(special motor mounts needed.) Here is what I can do he say, I can change the capacitator, take out the old motor lube it and buy you some time until the new one comes in and I'll have so and so call you with a quote, but the motor will run somwhere around $200.00. He also advises that it is an easy change out and I may want to DIY it. OK cool. He take the thing apart puts a few drops of lube in and gets it spinning again. $100.00 later he leaves my heater is up and running. OK now to track down the motor. Well that is easier said than done. (inthe meantime the motor stops again)The HVAC stores that have it in Ral, are only wholesale. But as luck would have it the only local store that is retail is in Goldsboro only 1.5 hrs away. Oh and it's now 4:30 and they close at 5. Oh yeah they don't ship either and don't have the motor only but do have the whole assembly, and he's only gonna charge me retail. $158.00(motor only is $107+)

OK I saw him take it apart cake. as Alan said a "trained monkey could do it." I set up to take it all apart. No prob take it apart and unlike the repiar guy CLEAN the entire motor assembly with electric cleaner, clean the cage, clean the blower, you know CLEAN IT. Clean the old oil from the ports, and fill with new until it runs CLEAN. put it all back together and install it. Flip the switch and it runs like new. While it was out I manage to get the blower assembly part # as I was working with the heater part # earlier. NOw it is time to go looking for a good souce(read cheap) for the motor.

So in short it cost me $100.00 to be told that my blower motor was bad and have a baindaid put on it. The good news is it only cost me $100.00 to learn how to change a blower motor I know is bad.:gar-La;

I'd gladly pay a hundred dollars for that amount of learning. I think despite all you went through, you came out on top. You gained knowledge:icon_thum:icon_thum.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Gary, if you didn't get that burnt wire smell, then my money goes on the PSC run capacitor being bad. Motor won't start without it. Just sits there and hums until overload kicks out. Let us know you results on repair. Both Grainger and Johnstone sell replacement motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS