Random cool wood on vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
We recently spent 2 weeks vacationing in Avalon NJ and thought I'd share some random wood items encountered.

First not long after arriving my MIL decided to give me my B'day present a couple of months early and presented me with this cool book. Signed by the author himself while he was in PA.:icon_thum
She ended up buying a small piece of furniture for herself as well after talking to him and seeing some of his work.
IMAG0110.jpg

IMAG0111.jpg

Then our son's 4th B'day party netted him this cool toy from his Godfather and it was a big hit. This was made in Harleysville PA by Mennonite craftsmen that live near my SIL.
IMAG0107.jpg

Then I saw one of these way cool Woody bikes on display as a raffle prize in a shop in Stone Harbor NJ.
452_MAX_Poka_Bike.jpg

These are made in Cape May NJ by Max Samuelson and are offered in several different styles. You can check out his site for more info and SOMA has more pics of his work as well.

Then lastly I found an old 12 foot Cedar trunk washed up on the bank at the Avalon Bay marina after a heavy rain/storm and it made the trip back with us.

IMAG0109.jpg

It's a little under 4" at the large end and a little over 2.5" at the small end. I had to cut it in half to fit in our mini-van for the trip back. No plans for it as of yet, but I really need to remember to pack my folding pruning saw and a couple of ratchet straps in the future as it would make collecting and transporting easier!! :BangHead:

Thanks for looking,
Brian.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Cool story, Brian. :icon_thum It's great when you get the chance to see the work of other craftsmen. Nice scores on the book, your son's toy and the cedar trunk. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I was intrigued! My old man eyes read that as COOK book..... DOH!! {presented me with this cool book} I wanted to see a recipe for ambrosia maple stuffed with purple heart or wormy chestnut au jus....:eusa_doh:
Still a neat present. And signed no less.
Love stories of the wood that DIDN'T get away. Robin is growing accustomed to helping me scarf up stray wood when it presents itself. You wouldn't believe what's been in the back of her Camry. Like the time we didn't have a saw and hammered nails into a board to weaken it so we could break it. Maybe need to trade the hammer and nails in on a folding saw, too.
There are a few pieces stashed in her mom's garage I hope she can bring back from Nebraska soon. One of those if you gotta ask, you wouldn't understand wood people stories.
Sounds like a good trip!

Glennbear

Glenn
Very cool Brian :icon_thum prior to my retirement I lived a couple miles from the NJ shore and I do miss the ability to go look for beach finds. :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS