Raleigh KD Lumber run #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Re: Raleigh KD Lumber run #4 (updated with pricing)

Jeff....I would like to order 30 bdft of 4/4 maple, some spalding OK, and 30bdft of 4/4 walnut.

Jeff

Jeff I made a mistake on my 4/4 BW pricing. I'll honor your request of 30BF @ $3.50 but for the remainder of the orders I'll have to charge $4.30 a BF. I wished I could get better pricing on BW logs, Which I would gladly pass on to you guys. But at this time I've seen a sharp increase in top grade Black Walnut saw logs. I don't expect they will come down any time in the near future.

Thanks

mkepke

Mark
Senior User

Ok enlighten me please. What is Red Maple? All I knew was hard or soft Maple and still not clear on what those differences are.
Maple species (Acer sp.) can be classified as either "hard" maples or "soft" maples.

Understanding that division is really easy since the hard maple category consists exclusively of sugar maple (Acer saccharum) and black sugar maple (Acer nigrum). Every thing else is a soft maple. Remember those two because there are about 90 native species of maple in North America - and more if you count imports.

Therefore red maple (Acer rubrum) is a soft maple.

I'm not sure how many of the 90+ maples species are important commercially,but I'm sure you can find info on the web.

-Mark

mac martin

New User
mac

Looking For Some Tight Grain,clear, Dry Spruce - Any Suggestions?

J

jeff...

More Red Maple, this log has medium ambrosia markings. Second log up from the butt, butt log is on the mill. I got lonely so I came home, sorry no new faces tonight :cry:

P101000213.JPG

P101000114.JPG

P101000410.JPG

Thanks

J

jeff...

Ok enlighten me please. What is Red Maple? All I knew was hard or soft Maple and still not clear on what those differences are.

Bryan don't feel bad your not alone, I tried to sort it all out my self in this thread --->
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9272

Short answer (Red Maple = Soft Maple) as far as hardness

Hard Maple is 1450 Janka

soft Maple is 950 Janka
Cherry is 950 Janka
Black Walnut 1010
[SIZE=-1]Beech 1300 Janka[/SIZE]

J

jeff...

40 spalted and 20 unspalted red maple

- Steve

Gotcha Steve - take a look at the first post of this thread and let me know if I added your correctly...

Thanks

J

jeff...

Jeff....I would like to order 30 bdft of 4/4 maple, some spalding OK, and 30bdft of 4/4 walnut.

Jeff

10 / 4 - check the first post in this thread, make sure I got yours listed correctly.

Thanks

J

jeff...

I would like 50 sq feet of BW please.

NO
- go jump out of a plane :lol: Check the first post in this thread, make sure I got yours listed ok.

Later dude...

toolman

New User
Chad

Jeff

[STRIKE]35BF[/STRIKE] 70BF of flat sawn 4/4 (Medium Ambrosia) Red Maple. [STRIKE]Will take all![/STRIKE]

Great looking Ambrosia photos, can't wait to make some saw dust :rolf::rolf:

Thanks

Last edited:
J

jeff...

Jeff

35BF of flat sawn 4/4 (Medium Ambrosia) Red Maple. Will take all!

Chad, I just finished cutting up the butt log so there is more. A few of the boards are 15" wide. I need to tally what's there, but will reserve logs 6 and 7 for you just let me know how many BF you want. I think there is one more log from this tree, I just haven't got to it yet.

few more pic...

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 313
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 307
  • P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 307
J

jeff...

We put approx 1/2 the maple on stick to get ready for the kiln and I picked up a few more Ambrosia Red Maple and American Beech logs.

Think I'm going to take a nap now...

Thanks

Attachments

• P1010007.jpg
    P1010007.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 143
  • P1010008.jpg
    P1010008.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 155
  • P1010009.jpg
    P1010009.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 155
J

jeff...

Finally got pricing under control and locked down - it's very difficult when you buy logs from several different sources. The only fair thing I could do was to create an average price. Last month, 2 of the family owned logging outfits I was doing business went out of business :-(. I'm not going to go into details why, but I will say, I don't think anyone here would want to pay their fuel bill for a month 8-O I perhaps paid a little more for logs than I should have, but felt it was a good thing to do since they were really strapped for cash. Not like my purchase of a few logs made much of a difference, but I guess every little bit helps.

Basically, I'm locking down prices irregardless of Figure / Spalt, as follows.

$3.15 a BF for 4/4 Soft (Red) Maple
$2.85 a BF for 4/4 QS American Beech
$4.30 a BF for 4/4 Black Walnut

I'm trying my best to be fair to everyone involved, from the guy who pulls the logs from the woods all the way through to you guys. I hope you find the prices well within your expectations. I've cut quite a bit of maple to dovetail in with 8/4 maple in lumber run #3.

Thanks

J

jeff...

mineral streak red maple pics...

Attachments

• P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 163
  • P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 156
  • P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 151
  • P1010006.jpg
    P1010006.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 160

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Oh, pretty, I got to get me some of that. <Running to check bank balance, and buy flowers for the wife> :-D:-D

Dave:)

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

If there is still some available count me in for 15' - 20' bf of that pretty maple.

J

jeff...

Had another fun day of racking and stacking lumber on kiln kiln carts out at Scott's farm. I cut a little less than 1000 BF of 4/4 Red Maple and about 250 BF of QS American Beech. I'm kinda curious how the beech will turn out, since it's a new wood for me. I'll be sifting through the log yard pulling out black walnut to cut next week and I think there is one or two more red maple logs left to saw. Then that'll wrap up cutting for this run...

I hope you guys like pretty QS American Beech and Red Maple because there sure is some pretty stuff in there.

Thanks

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I can vouch for that. I had the pleassure of meeting Scott out at his place with Jeff.
I was not able to stay to help stack, as I had a time schedule I had to keep.:eusa_whis
The Maple is awesome. You have to see this stuff. I would go broke if I hung around Jeff's lumber much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS