Raleigh KD Lumber run #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Wanted to let everyone know I believe we are still on target for Oct 6th. I cut a large assortment of maple, there's quite a bit of lumber left and there's still time if you want to jump in on this run.

Thanks

J

jeff...

Spoke with Scott today, Scott told me kiln drying is coming along great and he expects to start conditioning and sterilization next week. I cut an unusual mix of maple and some sweet looking QS American Beech so please don't hold it against me if you want to purchase more than you ordered after seeing the lumber. :drunken_s I am not responsible for upset wives, just to get that understanding out in the open...

I'm trying something new this load, In addition to the BF, I also marked the boards L1 .... L* which means Log 1, Log 2, Log 3, and so on. So you can pick out boards that came from the same log. I know what it's like to have a few boards not match in a glue up. By Marking the lumber this way it should help with color matching and grain consistency. Also the maple was flat sawn and I intentionally sawed lots of book matched sets. Knowing the log number will help you easily spot the book matches.

I heard harbor freight is having a parking lot sale Oct 6th, so I'm thinking of pushing this back to Sunday Oct 7th, starting around noon, for those folks that would like to come by after church services (No excuses this time Jack :lol:). I hope changing to Sunday the 7th will be ok with everyone?

Thanks

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
October 7th is a much better date for me. I will be making space in the shop this weekend.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Jeff,
You are not the problem, your wood is... BUT you are the enabler. Just like a drug dealer, you make make your product too easily available. One day one of us ncwwodworkers are going to be on the show Intervention. Hello my name is twodog..... and I am a wood junkie. Until then I'm still gonna need my fixes.

Jimmy

J

jeff...

Jeff,
You are not the problem, your wood is... BUT you are the enabler. Just like a drug dealer, you make make your product too easily available. One day one of us ncwwodworkers are going to be on the show Intervention. Hello my name is twodog..... and I am a wood junkie. Until then I'm still gonna need my fixes.

Jimmy

Jimmy thanks for the reply... :) I may need to resort to more aggressive tactics with you guys :lol:.

I cut nearly 1300 BF of closed grain lumber for this run but have only sold about less than 1/4 of it. I cull out the bad stuff as it's coming off the mill and only take the stuff I would use myself to Scott to have kiln dried. There is some real nice 4/4 Quarter Sawn Beech, Flat Sawn Maple and Walnut left, it'll all be kiln dry and ready to work as soon as I pick it up for Scott's kiln. I kinda hate to have to sell what's left over from the run elsewhere and would much rather see NCWoodWorker members pick it up for less than I'm going to sell it to others. Thanks to all who have purchased lumber from this run, I'll continue to saw and kiln dry NCWoodWorker lumber runs as long as there is enough interest to keep it going.

Thanks

Touchwood

New User
Don
Jeff...

Please keep me posted on when you're going to do 8/4 stuff...maybe cherry or...something really interesting for rockers..???I'm building a rocker now with Utile, so anything's possible.
I think Scott now believes that we shouldn't mix 4/4 and 8/4 in the same kiln run, so there's no rush.
Don't know where I'll put it...maybe the spare bedroom if the boss doesn't
see me bringing it in:icon_thum.

Still haven't decided what to do with the spalted maple, but hang onto the board we talked about.

I really appreciate your marking the boards with the log they come from. Bookmatches in seats, arms, legs..heck, everything.. are great!!!

Take care,

Don

J

jeff...

Good news Scott started the Kiln sterilization process on the maple and beech tonight.

Bad news is the Black walnut moisture content is still in the mid teens.

I plan on delivering the maple and beech this weekend (10/7) as mentioned above, but the black walnut will have to cook a little longer in the the kiln. Scott estimated 2 weeks more on the black walnut.

I'll have to do a separate run on the black walnut for this run. I'll keep you posted when it will be.

Thanks

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Jeff -

How much of the Black Walnut is left to sell? If available, I'll take 20 BF if you do a run to the Raleigh area when it is dried.

J

jeff...

Rick - if I recall correctly I believe there was about 100 BF of wide board BW in the kiln. I plan on doing a Raleigh run when it's dry.

Thanks

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Jeff,
If you can set aside the maple I ordered, preferably book matched, and bring it with you in two weeks with the black walnut I ordered it would save me a trip to Raleigh. I might want some more BW but have to check with the boss first.

Jeff

J

jeff...

Jeff,
If you can set aside the maple I ordered, preferably book matched, and bring it with you in two weeks with the black walnut I ordered it would save me a trip to Raleigh. I might want some more BW but have to check with the boss first.

Jeff

No problem, there's going to be ALOT of maple to set aside.

lottathought

New User
Michael
BTW..just something to put in the back of your mind Jeff..
I would like to get some Ash.
If you ever run across any for one of these lumber runs, that would be great.

And I might want to jump in on a little of that Maple when you bring the Walnut up.
Need to know what weekend you are doing the run though and make sure I do not have to work.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jeff, I am planning on coming to the "run" and will want to get some of something from you. I just don't know exactly what, or how much. I would like to see it first.
I'll see you on Sunday :eusa_danc

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors