Questions, Gloat and a Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

lottathought

New User
Michael
So I got my hands on a dust collector big enough to hook up to an entire shop system.
(DC1100 from Jet)...Yes..pics are coming. :gar-Bi
(If you recall, I got in on that 6" HVAC piping and already put that on the ceiling of my shop.)

I do have a few questions though.
The first is the power supply. The DC1100 is capable of both 110v and 220v. It is pre-wired to 110v however. Is there any real suction increase if I jump over to 220v? My shop is wired for both.
If so...has anybody done one of these? The manual is a little unclear on how exactly it is done.

Next.....I need hose...about 50' of 4" and 20' of 2.5".
The prices seem a little high for some hose. Anybody know of some good sources?

Lastly...I have a 1HP Delta Dust Collector that I am now selling. It has not been used much.....Reasonable offers considered.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
prolly no difference. 240 runs more efficiently than 120 but you wont see any difference. the only thing that may happen is tripping the breaker on 120. [maybe not] look at the amperage draw on the motor. it will be halved for 240. I would try it as is and if it starts tripping the breaker change it over to 240V.

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
The suction will not change. The rpm of the motor determines the amount of air flow (suction). The cost to run is much cheaper on 220v.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
The suction will not change. The rpm of the motor determines the amount of air flow (suction). The cost to run is much cheaper on 220v.
A 110 v watt is the same size as a 220v watt, which is the same size as a 440v watt, which is..................................................

:)

M

McRabbet

So I got my hands on a dust collector big enough to hook up to an entire shop system.
(DC1100 from Jet)...Yes..pics are coming. :gar-Bi
(If you recall, I got in on that 6" HVAC piping and already put that on the ceiling of my shop.)

I do have a few questions though.
The first is the power supply. The DC1100 is capable of both 110v and 220v. It is pre-wired to 110v however. Is there any real suction increase if I jump over to 220v? My shop is wired for both.
If so...has anybody done one of these? The manual is a little unclear on how exactly it is done.

Next.....I need hose...about 50' of 4" and 20' of 2.5".
The prices seem a little high for some hose. Anybody know of some good sources?

Lastly...I have a 1HP Delta Dust Collector that I am now selling. It has not been used much.....Reasonable offers considered.

Motor Issue: Any motor that can run on both 110V and 220V (max of 1-1/2 HP) will perform basically the same on either voltage -- it will draw fewer amps and may run slightly cooler on 220. There should be a diagram in the manual or on the motor for the different wiring.

Flexible Duct: Wherever possible, avoid using flexible duct as it has much higher flow resistance than solid pipe. I'd recommend running 6 inch as far as you can and use a 6 x 4 reducer where you place a blast gate (I've made my own) and then connect a short length of flexible duct to the machine port. Klingspor and Woodcraft and other supplier carry 4" duct in 10' lengths (Shop Fox brand), or you can look at offerings from places like McMaster-Carr or Redmond Machinery. I use spiral adapters for connecting 4" flex. Browse their Dust Collection Accessories for flexible hose and fittings for 4" connections. I purchased 25 feet of 6 inch "Economical PVC Flexible Duct" from McMaster-Carr for about $60 a few years ago. I use PVC S&D pipe (ASTM D-2729) and got most of my fittings from Lowe's, but McMaster-Carr also carries them (it is better to use two 45 degree elbows with a short length of straight pipe for right angle turns as tight raduis elbows cause too much Static Pressure loss).

Old 1 HP Delta DC: Place an ad in the classified to sell this, not here.

Hope this helps.

HickoryFire

New User
David
As a building and electrical inspector, I agree completely with the previous posts concerning the voltage. If you decide to install it as a 220v system and have problems changing the wiring, you can send me an email. I may need to see a photo because some motors wire a little differently.

Al Millman

New User
Big Al
Michael,
I have had good luck with the clear flexible hose that Peachtree Woodworking Supply sells, the 4"x20' is around 35.99. It is very flexible hot or cold and has spiral wire that will let you ground your system and avoid static electric build up. They have many other types of hose and in different lengths. Web site www.ptreeusa.com
Good luck,
Big Al

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
The cost to run is much cheaper on 220v.

I believe that this statement is incorrect. The "wattage' consumed by the motor is the same regardless of how it's wired. Although 240V motors will draw 1/2 of the amps of 120V motors, remember that you pay for electricity by the kilowatt, and that amps x volts = watts. Thus a 20A 120V motor draws 2400 watts, as does a 10A 240 motor.

There are two primary benefits to wiring a motor for 240V versus 120V. First, you can use smaller wire on the circuit, since the amps are lower. Second, because you are drawing power across both legs in your panel, your load is balanced and there is less voltage drop from leg to leg, which can be marginally beneficial for your other equipment.

Speaking personally, whenever I have a choice between the two, all things being equal I will wire for 240 versus 120, for the reasons stated above.

Scott

lottathought

New User
Michael
Thanks all.
You have given me some good info and also a couple of ideas.
I am now rethinking how to have as little flex pipe as possible to not loose suction.

My shop is actually the garage. (Don't tell the wife I said that. Been trying to condition her to say "shop" for 2 years.) :elvis:
The ceilings are 10 feet tall.
I am now trying to determine what is typically the best height to change from hard pipe to flex.
Typically...above the table saw and router table, how high do you want the flex to go for a good balance of suction and also for the pipe to be able to move out of the way of what you are doing?

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
regarding the straight piping, I saw a tip in some magazine a while back. The suggestion was made to go to a carpet store and ask for the cardboard tubes the carpet rolls come on and use them. I forget what size they are but they're probably close and free too.

Have no idea if that is a good tip or what other issues you would have to address doing that, but I'm sure someone else has an opinion!

Dan

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I believe that this statement is incorrect. The "wattage' consumed by the motor is the same regardless of how it's wired. Although 240V motors will draw 1/2 of the amps of 120V motors, remember that you pay for electricity by the kilowatt, and that amps x volts = watts. Thus a 20A 120V motor draws 2400 watts, as does a 10A 240 motor.

There are two primary benefits to wiring a motor for 240V versus 120V. First, you can use smaller wire on the circuit, since the amps are lower. Second, because you are drawing power across both legs in your panel, your load is balanced and there is less voltage drop from leg to leg, which can be marginally beneficial for your other equipment.

Speaking personally, whenever I have a choice between the two, all things being equal I will wire for 240 versus 120, for the reasons stated above.

Scott

+1.

If you want to improve performance, a bag upgrade or "filter media" is worthwhile. Lower pressure drop across the bag will improve velocities significantly. You can spend what you want for filter media - bags, canisters, etc.

Congrats on the new DC.

Chuck

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Personally, I ran straight piping down to the point it attached to the machine. That way I can fasten it to the machine and it helps support the elbows so you don't break them. DAMHIKT.

Back on the 110/220 subject. Make sure you have a 20 or 25 amp circuit depending on current draw if you are going to run it at 110V. My old unit would trip a breaker a lot on start up as I didn't have a properly sized circuit at the time.

Congrats on the collector! True suckage. ;-)

lottathought

New User
Michael
Rob...I agree that I should.
The problem is that I cant. :dontknow:
I just sent BAS a message on this.

But only the PDF file is listed as valid in "Manage Attachments"

jamie

jamie
Senior User
Rob...I agree that I should.
The problem is that I cant. :dontknow:
I just sent BAS a message on this.

But only the PDF file is listed as valid in "Manage Attachments"

You have to upload images to the gallery, then link to it using the "insert" link on the above tool bar that looks like a camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS