Question on mortise size for dresser drawer rails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Just want to make sure I am not missing something. I am making a Shaker style dresser. The drawer rails are 3/4" thick. Based on the plans the mortise for the rails should be 5/8" x 3/4". It seems to me a 1/2" x 1/2" mortise would allow for shoulders on all 4 sides of the tenon. The shoulders would allow for a less than absolutely perfect mortise. Also, if the mortise is 1/2" x 1/2" you could cut it with a hollow mortise chisel rather than by hand. Also, if you were off just a little from side to side you could shave a little off one tenon and keep the rails parallel. If the mortise is 3/4" and the tenon is 3/4" you have to be perfect to not have an issue.

Hope someone can understand this. I wrote it and I am not sure I can.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
If the drawer rails are not needed to hold the case sides together (a dovetail would be better in that case) then a small M & T like you suggest should be fine. Only the ends of the rails support the drawer weight in shear.

You can also cut out the back of the mortise, notching the stiles, which will allow a wider rail tenon. Eliminates any chance that the rail will rotate. That is what I would do.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Alan, thanks for the input. This is the first time I have used frame and panel construction for a dresser or chest of drawers. I normally use case construction with the case held together by halfblind dovetails. Sometimes I do use sliding dovetails for the rails. I need to take a look at these plans and make sure I am satisfied with the stuctural integrity. I sure don't want it pulling apart. I may change to sliding dovetails if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors