Queen Anne Desk

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Jim, truly outstanding work and the write-up is equally awesome! I believe one of your most distinguishing gifts is the ability to think through the various steps associated with a project so you don't get ahead of yourself; that and your remarkable craftsmanship are wonderful to see!

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Finish and Final Touches

I got caught on the wrong side of winter when it came to wrapping up this project. By the time I was ready to apply the finish the days were too cold or too humid. I had to wait until Spring was approaching in order to move the desk into our garage for this step. This did give me extra time to think over the type of finish and method of application. Since it is a desk I wanted a hard, durable finish.

Shellac has become my goto finish for most furniture projects. However, I was unsure if it would hold up to the wear in this case. A few emails with Vijay from Shellac Finishes convinced me to go with his Royal-Lac Post-Catalyzed finish, and to spray rather than brush or pad. Vijay is a great resource and super helpful. Even if you never plan to use shellac I encourage you to watch his videos on how shellac is gathered and made. It's a fascinating process.

This is the finish plan we worked out for the desk. The only deviation is that in the end I decided not to spray the final, low-gloss coat. The client was unsure about how shiny shellac would be, but in the end liked the shine as is. The low-gloss would have dulled the final finish to a semi-gloss. Twelve coats in all.
1710809312944.png

I prepped the desk surfaces by finish sanding to #300 grit using a ROS. In hindsight I would recommend a filler over the lacewood before beginning. It's fairly porous compared to the cherry. Before beginning the shellac I applied a coat of Danish Oil to give it some depth and bring out the grain. Be aware this darkens the tone, something not everyone may want.

I used an Apollo HVLP Sprayer I originally purchased to finish our cabinets. It had been a while since I used this, so the first step was to reread the instructions and practice. I filled it with water and sprayed a cardboard box to make sure I was confident. I repurposed some stands in order to "hang" the top. This made it easier to spray. The base was turned upside down on some saw horses so I could more easily spray the legs. You also need good lighting, so pull out the construction lights.
1710809862356.png
1710809969937.png

This was the first time I had sprayed shellac. My previous experience was with water-based finishes, lacquer and polyurethane. I'd have to say that shellac is the easiest. It dries before it has a chance to form a run.

Hardware

After the shellac had dried thoroughly it was time for reassembling all the parts and putting on the drawer pulls. The client selected a set of vintage rosette pulls from an antique store. This led to the next set of questions. Should I center the pulls by the rosettes or by the pull height. Examples abound both ways. Here's how each choice looked on a sample drawer.
1710810535330.png
1710810561035.png

The pull on the left has the rosettes centered. The pull on the right is centered by the overall height. This meant raising the rosettes about 3/8" above the center line. It always amazes me how much angst this sort of decision causes. Not sure why... I mean it's not like you're about to bore a hole in something that was months in the making. In the end the second height was selected.

And that brings us to the end of this story. All re-assembled and waiting to move to its new space. Thanks for sharing this journey with me.

1710810868066.png

1710811063624.png

1710810991395.png

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Awesome, high caliber craftsmanship.

Cherry is my favorite wood, and I’ve also sprayed shellac. I’ve tinted it to even out the Cherry or if the Cherry is salmon colored.

You should submit this to Fine Woodworking. 🙂

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Incredible work, Jim! Just superb! I second that you should take a run at FWW.
Question on your finish table - what do you mean by "dilute to x%", for example "dilute to 125 - 150%" ?
Thanks for sharing the build.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for the generous compliments!

Question on your finish table - what do you mean by "dilute to x%", for example "dilute to 125 - 150%" ?
Shellac is diluted using alcohol. Diluting to 100% means adding the same amount of alcohol as shellac. For example, if the goal is to dilute to 125% and you start with 100 ml of shellac, then you would add 125 ml of alcohol. The total mixture becomes 225 ml.

According to Vijay the reason for diluting is to slow down the drying time. This was done to the Royal-Lac, which has the catalyzer added. Without the extra alcohol I suspect the mixture might start to set in the gun after a few hours. In my case I was able to mix the amount I would use in the morning and leave it in the gun until the afternoon. This avoided cleaning up the equipment after each coat.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Jim - thanks. Yes, understand the dilution - it was the wording of "dilute to" that was throwing me off - I could read that two different ways.
Also, what are you diluting from: a 1lb cut or a 2lb cut or?
Thanks for the clarification.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jim - thanks. Yes, understand the dilution - it was the wording of "dilute to" that was throwing me off - I could read that two different ways.
Also, what are you diluting from: a 1lb cut or a 2lb cut or?
Thanks for the clarification.
You're welcome. I had to ask Vijay the same question to make sure I understood. Royal-Lac comes pre-mixed. It's a shellac-based finish. You can use it straight out of the can. I'm not sure what the cut is that way.

For the Royal-Lac Postcat you add the catalyzer in a 1:7 ratio of catalyzer to finish. For 100 ml of finish I added about 14 ml of catalyzer, and then 114 ml of alcohol if diluting to 100%. Fortunately, none of these measurements have to be "exact", just approximate. As engineers we sometimes find ourselves fretting too much over numbers when it comes to woodworking (at least I do).

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Jim, you are truly an outstanding craftsman! Outside of the woodworking community I suspect few would fully appreciate the meticulous details and the superior craftsmanship associated this work; however, to those of us in the community it is obvious (even the underside of the desk is striking)! Also, as I have mentioned before, your write-ups regarding the planning, building and finishing processes employed with this build are first-rate...clear, concise and interesting! Thank you!

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Well done Jim. In the end, are you happy with the straight legs? I have always cut the legs and shaped with the spoke shave and card scraper. A good write up to see the process.

Regards
Dan

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
In the end, are you happy with the straight legs?
Did I mention the "client"? ;) I lobbied for the legs you described, but these are the legs she wanted. She likes the simplicity. The turned out feet/pads remind her of a ballerina. 🤷‍♂️ In the end, if she's happy I'm happy.

Thanks for the feedback. I was able to put to good use the veneering techniques I learned from you and others.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS