Quality Wood Suppliers Near Charlotte?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Being relatively new to woodworking & North Carolina, I don't always know where to get the "best deal" on hardwoods for my projects. For that reason, I though where better to turn than the gang at ncwoodworker!

In your opinion, what is the BEST place to purchase wood (boards for furniture) in North Carolina?

Near Charlotte (an hour drive or so)?

Any recommended Internet sites for buying lumber?

Up until now I've purchased all my wood at WoodCraft Matthews, Charlotte Hardwoods, Home Depot and Lowes. None of these places have had (what I consider) good prices consistently (though none appeared to be rip-offs either). But now I'm looking for BETTER deals & MORE selection. I usually purchase a small quantity of wood -- only enough for a single project or two at a time -- so take that into consideration.

I look forward to hearing your feedback.:-D

DaveO

New User
DaveO
To start check out the Wood Suppliers list on the left hand of the page http://ncwoodworker.net/index.php?page=woodlist. I highly recommend The Hardwood store of NC. But that isn't very close to you. Likewise Steve Wall Lumber is great also. I am sure that folk from your area will chime in soon with their own personal recommendations. We will soon be adding to the wood suppliers list, as soon as I pass the newest entries to Steve C.

Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Suggest you review the NC Lumber Suppliers in the box at left and check out Wall Lumber (www.walllumber.com) for all of their excellent products. Although they at a little over 100 miles from Charlotte, they have good prices and quality merchandise. Another good choice is reportedly Catawba Hardwoods in Marion, NC.

Rob

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Thanks for the feedback. Wall Lumber seems to be popular and is only about 2.5hrs away ... may make for an interesting day trip!

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
howdy..

If you dont want to drive 2.5/hours I am located about 30 minutes north in Lincoln county. I keep a large selection fo oak, cherry, walnut on hand and hard to find slabs as well as wood like persimmon and locust.

davisjarrett

New User
Jarrett
Kyle,

It looked as though most of your material is stacked in the outdoors, or is that just your rough stuff? j/c

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
thats the air dried material. I have about 5000 feet in that has been kiln dried and stacked indoors in my shop area.

here is inside the shop

Attachments

• 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
I've bought from Kyle he has great prices and good wood. For my next project I'm going to check with McEwen lumber they are supposed to stock a german beech that I saw at the show in Greensboro back in February. It is straight grained and very clear. The salesman said McEwen would probably offer it for $ 2.50 - 3.00 bdft depending on quantity purchased.

Phil

Kevin

New User
Kevin
You may also want to check out Jayakas Wood Turning in High Point or visit their web site at http://www.bingltd.com/

They sell quite alot of dimension stock at good price. Check out their warehouse and let them know I refer you ;)

hutchwood

New User
dennis hutchens
catawba hardwoods on 321n of hickory.....they have a good selection, decent prices, and you can pick the pieces you want...they also deliver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS