Quadruplets part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
OK, I sanded my arms off today and this is the result. Not finished, but wiped down with MS. The pivot pin set-up worked like a charm, so far I don't believe that I have screwed anything up on this project...but I haven't got to the finish yet, so there is still time. These babies are baby butt smooth, I took them to 400 grit. I plan to finish with Danish Oil (natural) and several coats of rubbed out gloss lacquer, with a final coat or two of satin. I will take any suggestions that have been found to work better, provided they are cheap and easy:lol: Thanks for looking and ya'lls advice on this project. Stay tune next week for a final finish. Dave:)





 

Monty

New User
Monty
Great work!!! Do you have pics or an explanation of what you did for the pivot pin?
 

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Clay, these are for my Mom who wants to "buy" them to give as gifts to her friends. She will get the family rate...free, or cost if she won't accept free.

Insom. the pivot pins start as a 1/4" counterbore 3/8" in to the bottom, then I drilled a 1/8" hole in the center of that. I had to buy an extra long bit to drill the 3" deep hole, and then cut it so I had less chance for wobble. Once I had the holes drilled it was just a matter of measuring and cutting some 1/8" brass stock and beating the end to form a mushroomed head. Then I filed a few grooves in the the part going into the lid and glued it all together with a 5 min. epoxy. A bit of blue tape around the pin kept the epoxy from sticking everything together. I plugged the counterbore with an 1/4" walnut dowel, it shows end grain but I consider that a beauty mark. I am surprised that it went as smoothly as it did, I've never done anything like this before. But with the advice of several members, Big Mike (aka da box master) and DavidF (aka that foreign guy who knows everything), I managed to pull it off. That's a good thing, seeing as it was the last thing I did, if I screwed it up I would have wasted about 12 hours of work. Dave:)
 

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Dave, the boxes look wonderful, just as you described- "baby butt smooth". They are really very attractive. The locking heart key is a wonderful idea and you executed it very well. I had an idea, a day late and a dollar short of course, but next time if there is a next time, make the top of the key out of some blood wood or chakte kok or other red wood. A true heart key...

Nice job!:eusa_clap :icon_thum
 

TimRice

New User
Tim
Beautiful boxes Dave! You have every right to be as proud as any father of Quads!!

OK, I sanded my arms off today and this is the result. Not finished, but wiped down with MS.
What is MS?
 

DavidF

New User
David
DaveO, I can't beleive you made all those over the weekend! They are magnificent! well done:eusa_clap
 

DavidF

New User
David
Did you make the heart shapes in layers and then glue the stack or did you glue up the layers and then rout the whole thing? Templates or free hand - we need details....
 

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Dave, I am not a finishing expert and have zero experience with lacquer. I quite frequently use an oil/varnish mixture on my pieces. I allow that to thoroughly dry and then buff it out on my Beall set up. I don't use the white diamond wheel or compound on dark woods for fear of getting it into the pores. DAMHIKT! But a properly buffed out and polished finish is hard to beat for looks and feel. Nearly all of my small boxes are finished that way. I like the natural look and feel. IMHO.
 

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
DaveO, Those boxes look magnificent.:eusa_clap I like the overall fit and finish you put on them as well as using the brass stock for pivot pins as you described. Thanks for your earlier post that included a sketch of your plans.

D L
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS

Top