Primer alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpw

New User
Charles
I know someone out there has done this - you've got your primer on the cinder block wall - it's white, which is all you want - so you don't bother with paint. Any regrets?

I used Olympic's pore-filling masonry primer, mainly because it was only $10/gal. I know primer isn't as tough as paint, but will it flake off over time? Or is it just not as resistant to abrasion?

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
The prmmer won't hold up over time because it is the glue that holds the paint on,so to speak.So I would suggest getting a GOOD topcoat.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I strongly recommend a good topcoat. Moisture likes to creep through masonry. In my old shop, I had mold/ mildew growing against the bare block it until I finally cleaned it off, primed and painted. The primer helps the paint adhere, but the paint is what really gets sucked in and provides the barrier. One spot behind an outlet box I only primed, not painted, mildew was growing there again within 6 months. When I scrubbed it off with a brush, the primer came off too.

It'll cost a few dollars, but painting it is probably the best bang for the buck in terms of shop improvement. Just get a roller with a heavy nap, and once rolled go over deep problem spots with a brush.

cpw

New User
Charles
Thanks for confirming what I suspected. I don't know why I thought this would be any different than any other situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS