Potential Raleigh Oak Lumber Run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
I didn't ask for any lumber. However, because I live much much closer to Scott than HF, I will probably show up and pick from any leftovers. :eusa_danc

tv

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
No problem here. It would save you from having to load it up again on your trailer.
Then take it to HF even if you have to drive by there on the way home. It still would save you time.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Why handle three times when once will do? Another vote for Scott's. My order is re-confirmed.

Mike Gilley

Mike Gilley
Corporate Member
Either one works for me as well, but I'll vote for Scott's. That way I can see how far he's progressed on his recovery from the fire.

My order is also re-confirmed, and I will probably stick around and pick through any left-overs also. :icon_thum

Regards,
Mike

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scott's farm is closer for me, and less work for you. I vote for Scott's.

Rich

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Scott's sounds like the easier route, I'm flexible though. Oh, and I re-confirm. Thanks again Jeff.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Scott's place if fine for me. I'd like to see his operation anyways so I can kill two birds with one stone.

Question. How does this process work? Do I select the 50 BF of QSRO with your help and we agree on the price? Then do I pay with cash or a check?

How's your 3 acre project going? Best regards.

J

jeff...

Email from Scott (01 Oct)

Jeff,
Thus far, the load is really looking good. I have observed very minimal degrade (only a couple of boards with end checks). Your attention to detail in applying end sealer asap after logging really pays off during the drying process.

We’ve still got a couple of weeks to go, but it looks like the load should be ready for pickup by the weekend of October 18th. It’s too early to commit, but we can establish that as the “tentative” pickup date.

Scott

Scott's place if fine for me. I'd like to see his operation anyways so I can kill two birds with one stone.

Question. How does this process work? Do I select the 50 BF of QSRO with your help and we agree on the price? Then do I pay with cash or a check? Sure, that works... I most always go from the top of list down - so whoever responds first, get's to pick first.

How's your 3 acre project going? I'm going to pass on it - the land owner wants to change a bunch of things in regards to the lumber.

* At first he wanted enough pine cut to build a medium sided work shop / tool shed.

* It's now changed into a large oak timber framed 8 stall barn with pine B&B siding and trim :roll:. Personally when I cruised the tract, I don't think he's got enough WO oak and pine timber standing to do what he wants to do.

* If I were being paid, it might be a different story but I doubt I would take it on even if he was willing to pay my going rate. Only because he switched the deal before I even got started and frankly that has eroded my trust in him to keep his word... Makes me wonder what else might change after work started - you know?

Best regards.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Lumber pickup dates and time

***KILN STATUS UPDATE***

As of this morning the entire load us under 20% MC, down from 50% and on it's way to <10%. I have intentionally maintained a conservative pace in drying the wood, but this pays off in terms of minimal degrade and the highest lumber quality possible. From what I can see we will have an extremely high quality end product.

Although the boards "may" be ready this weekend, I'd prefer not to rush things and would like to give them a extra few days in the kiln so as to allow some of the slower drying boards some extra time to dry.

Jeff and I would therefore like to set the pickup date for Saturday October 25, starting at 10 am at my farm in New Hill.

Should you need directions to my farm, please send me a pm sometime between now and October 23, and I'll respond with the needed information.

Thanks!

Scott and Jeff

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's perfect news. I was wondering how I was going to be in three places at one time this coming Saturday. The next Saturday is much better for me. Although it is the Kilngspor Extravaganza weekend, it might be better to move it to Sunday as to not cause conflicts with those wanting to go to Klingspor Extravaganza on Saturday.

Just trying to complicate things a little more.
Cat hearding anyone :cool:

Dave:)

J

jeff...

Hey Scott thanks for posting an update - it seems like so long ago, did Jim and I really cut that much RO, Yep we sure did... Thanks for taking it easy on the load and opening up your farm as designated lumber run pickup site.

sawduster

New User
Robert
awwww boogers ! I will be out of town that weekend :BangHead:
Can you stick my board in your pocket until I can make it up there ? :eusa_pray

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jeff and I will set up an alternate pickup date for the folks that can't make it on the 25th.

Because this thread is getting so large, we'll start an new thread to make it easier to navigate.

Scott

J

jeff...

*UPDATE* Saturday October 25th Oak Lumber Run.

Well this coming Saturday October 25th is the long awaited day where we'll be having fun with about 4000BF of fresh out of the kiln red oak. I realize it's not the best day as we are overlapping with the last day of the Klingspor's Extravaganza up in Hickory. Please accept my apology if the lumber runs conflict with your plans to attend the Extravaganza.

I spoke with Scott yesterday and here's the game plan for lumber run. I'll be out at Scott's Farm early Saturday morning to help prepare for the lumber run, Scott and I will move the bunks out of his kiln and place them somewhere out on this farm for easy access by truck and trailer.

* The Lumber Run will start around 10:00 AM Saturday October 25th at Scott's Farm @ 6588 Beaver Creek Rd. New Hill, NC 27562 and wrap up around 1:00 or so...
* First on the list of page 1 of this thread is first to pick.
* Like all the other lumber runs - If your not present when it comes yours, we'll skip over you and when you arrive you can go next. We'll start from the top of the list and work our way down.
* you are under no obligation to purchase lumber, if you find it does not meets your expectations.
* Payment is either cash or check.
* Jim's (Member insteadof) lumber is marked on one end with red paint - his lumber goes on my trailer so I can deliver to him later on in the day.

There is also a bonus, Scott will be adding around 700 ~ 800BF of kiln dry quarter and Flat Sawn Red and White oak mix from his personal stash to the Lumber Run. Scott's price is $3.00 a BF for QS and $2.50 for FS.

The WO diving boards (8/4 x 24 x 8 ~ 10') did NOT make it into the kiln, but have been on sticks air drying. We can look at the diving boards during the lumber run and come to some agreement on price less than $3.00 a BF if it were kiln dried. I would like to be able to bring one diving board home (the worst one) to use as a plank for some scaffolding.

Make sure your tires are aired up we got quite a bit of lumber. Should we happen to have extra, Scott has agreed to store it at his farm for a future lumber run.

If you have any questions or need to get in touch with me you can PM me or call my cell phone number @ 919-691-5081.

Thanks Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS