Potential Raleigh Oak Lumber Run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Jeff, that was a cool story and you did it justice by the way that you told it.
Congrats to you and Jim.
Boths your Chests should have been pushed out after that.
Great job you two. Now don't get careless, later on those trees aint worth getting hurt over.

J

jeff...

Well I promised some pics of the wide 8/4 WO, so here some are - some of you may remember the little 40" diameter x 14' WO log it picked up back in November...

P101000115.JPG

P101000218.JPG

We'll in order to get it off the trailer I had to whop 2' off the butt - because we didn't have anything big enough at the log yard to lift it off the trailer about 4 tons. So after I trimmed it - it became a 12' er and a little over 3 tons - still a beast of a log mind you... It sat for a while sealed up at the log yard before I sawed it into 24" wide 8/4 thick boards. I could have went wider but 24" is really the maximum for my sawmill - unless I wanted to squeak a few more inches out of it by shimming over the bed stops. Frankly these boards are real nut busters the way they are - weighing in an estimated 250lbs or about 48BF each... and it made a lot of nice slabs for firewood for the post master up here timming it up to get a 24x24 cant. I've had the diving boards dead stacked on the trailer with some spalted maple and sycamore every since I cut it. Today I decided I should sticker the sycamore and maple so I unloaded it and slid the top diving board over a little bit so I could snap a few pics. I about threw my back out doing it :roll:

P101000427.JPG

P101000520.JPG

P101000616.JPG

I noticed a little checking on the ends - so it's highly likely we may need to cut some of these back to 10' and re-seal the ends with ancorseal before Scott kiln dries them. Although I really don't like to cut any lumber back after I saw it - it is what it is and that's just what happens sometimes.

Thanks

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Jeff, Awesome report on the potential lumber run. Can't wait to get my hands on some of that wood. That is a huge log.

That must be my diving board. I can see me name on it in the bottom right corner of the board. You have to look really close. It's very hard to see but I'm sure it's there.

Spent half the day hauling the maple in off my trailer yesterday. Hope to finish today. Where is all the room I had for lumber? I'll have to make lot's of projects before the lumber run or add another building.

J

jeff...

FYI / Update - I took my sawmill out to Jim's (Insteadof) this weekend since we got quite a few logs up out of the woods. We cut down one leaner red maple at first we thought it was a hickory because it sure did look like one until we got it down and got a close up of the leaves. I cut one of the logs from that maple this weekend - it's been a long time since I cut maple that nice - I talked Jim into keeping the maple because I really don't think he'll find any that nice without having to pay really big bucks...

I also cut a few red oak logs - I really think you guys will be pleasantly surprised when I get it all cut up and Scott kiln drys it - it's some real nice stuff - big tall forest trees you know the kind that grows way up there and has no limbs for 30 or 40'. Pics to follow when I remember to bring my camera. I've missed so many photo ops I could kick myself...

Anyways Scott tells me his kiln will be open the first part of September so we got several more weeks to go yet...

Jeff I plan on being out there this weekend - come on out and I'll show you how to run the Woodmizer so you can cut your own lumber. We'll mark it with your name on it so we can find it again after it comes out of the kiln.

Thanks

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Just saw this posting, anymore QS red oak available? hehe

Wasn't able to find a price either.

Thanks...Steve

Jeff

New User
Jeff
What great timing. We just finished several major home interior renovation projects over the last 6 weeks so I'm now free to work in the woods. Mother Nature is gonna cut us a little slack from this oppressive summer heat and humidity.

From your post I surmise that you'll be sawing on Friday (Aug. 8) or Saturday (Aug. 9). Correct?

From Rougemont I usually cut through Moriah and dead-end in Berea on 158 just across from the old red brick school building and volunteer fire dept. I'll need specific directions from you from there. Otherwise we can rendezvous in Berea and I'll follow you to the job site. Just let me know whether Friday or Saturday and the time when we should meet.

I'm looking forward to cutting some wood on the "Mizer". It should be an interesting and informative experience. Thanks. :saw:

Touchwood

New User
Don
Member insteadof (Jim) contacted me about sawing lumber from oak trees that fell during a tornado on his property. We walked his woods measured and graded the potential lumber from approx 12 oaks that fell. We estimated approx 4000 BF of lumber from the trees. This includes mainly grade 1 (clear 4 faces) 16 foot butt and 8 or 16' grade 2 (3 clear faces) logs (the next log up from the butt). What I would do If I'm going to mill up the logs would be to QS whats good to QS and flat saw what's not. There is a mix of both Red and White oaks the root balls are still intact and there are still leaves on the trees, the wind uprooted the trees and pushed them over.

I spoke with Scott and He would be willing to kiln dry the lumber starting around the end of August, which would put it ready sometime late September.

I'll keep track of time and materials and put together a price that fair to everyone - what exactly the price will be I can't say right now.

I need to get back to Jim and let him know if this is something I can do or not. So if you think you may be interested in some good quality 4/4 QS or Flatsawn oak please reply to this thread and let me know approx what you think you'll need. If I get enough interest I'll go ahead and start work, if not I'll have to tell Jim I can't take the job - I really don't have a need for this much lumber.

Here's the original post:--->
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f64/got-meet-member-insteadof-15222/

insteadof RO or WO 4/4 500BF QS or FS - Confirmed
newtowood WO 4/4 100BF QS - Confirmed
HMH RO 4/4 50BF QS - Confirmed
HMH RO 8/4 25BF QS - Confirmed
DaveO RO or WO 4/4 200BF QS - Confirmed
Bas RO 4/4 50BF QS - Confirmed
Bas WO 4/4 50BF QS - Confirmed
Tooman 4/4 50BF QS - RO or WO - confirmed via PM
Sanders Woodworking RO 4/4 200BF QS - Confirmed
Sanders Woodworking WO 4/4 200BF QS - Confirmed
Sanders Woodworking 2 or 3 WO Diving Boards - Confirmed
skysharks RO 4/4 200BF QS - Confirmed via PM
NC Scroller WO 4/4 125BF QS
Bigdog72 WO 4/4 150BF - QS - Confirmed
Mike Gilley WO 4/4 100BF QS - Confirmed
Mike Gilley RO 4/4 50BF QS - Confirmed
Truefire ??? - Please specify details
Mike Davis ??? 8/4 ??? QS - Please specify RO or WO and BF desired
Langd002 WO 4/4 100BF QS or FS - Confirmed
max_in_graham WO 4/4 750 ~ 1000BF FS -Confirmed
Will Goodwin RO 200BF - Please Specify QS or FS
gazzer WO 4/4 100BF QS - Confirmed
gazzer WO 5/4 50BF QS - Confirmed
Mrfixit71 WO 4/4 100BF QS -Confirmed
Jeff WO 8/4 50BF QS or FS - Confirmed (1 WO diving board approx 48BF)
Jeff WO 4/4 50BF QS - Confirmed
JimThomasson RO 4/4 100BF QS - Confirmed
Bob Buchholz WO 4/4 100BF QS -Confirmed
sediener WO 4/4 50BF QS - Confirmed
sediener RO 4/4 50BF QS - Confirmed
lotathought RO or WO 4/4 100BF QS - Will take RO or WO but prefer WO - Confirmed
SawDuster (((ONE))) Board - Confirmed

Totals
BF Total 4100
RO Total 1975
WO Total 2225

Thanks

Jeff

Saw more QS Spalted Sycamore...:gar-Bi...please.

Don

scrollski

New User
Jim
Hello Jeff,

I will take 100 BF of either red or white oak. I might can take 100 of each, it depends on the price (low cash flow).

Thanks,
Jim

J

jeff...

More Pics... Notice our mission is to make ROUND trees FLAT and SQUARE

Getting started today
ins1010001.JPG

ins1010002.JPG

Log piles...
ins1010004.JPG

ins1010005.JPG

Quarter Sawing two quarters at once - member Jeff on left Sawyer Insteadof (Jim) on right - Jim took to sawing on the woodmizer like a fish takes to water. I think he really enjoys sawing - I might have got 10 mins on my saw today :gar-La; I think it's awesome.
ins1010006.JPG

Quitting time
ins1010007.JPG

Member Insteadof (Jim) on left, Jeff on right. Time to shuffle in another trailer - Jim's is about full.

Thanks

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Jeff, I suggest that you bring a bunch of keyboards to the lumber run, nothing fancy, just pick 'em up at the local computer outlet store. My guess is you'll sell ALL OF THEM, since half of NCWW has just ruined their keyboards drooling over all those lumber pictures :rolf:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
We had a nice time sawing timber. I found it informative, interesting, and hard work. I learned (or saw a lot of expertise). If ya don't like hard work then don't go there. It's interesting to see a tree go to rough cut lumber and much before we even put it to use in our shop.

Thanks to Jeff & Jim for being patient with a novice. I hope to help out and learn more in the coming weeks. :saw:

J

jeff...

More wooodworking pics from today. Jim had to cut out early - It's his night to fix dinner and he takes it very seriously :cool:

Did someone say QSRO don't have much Ray Fleck?
P101000238.JPG

P101000329.JPG

P101000428.JPG

Got another trailer shuffled in - Diving Boards on the Left / QSRO on the right.
P101000521.JPG

Member Jeff he showed up again today to help. I think he really likes sawing :cool:

P101000617.JPG

P101000712.JPG

It looks like it's defiantly going to be a lumber run now :gar-Bi

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Alright, I think someone else can hold the camera. We gotta have a picture of you working at least a little.:rotflm:

max_in_graham

New User
Max
Actually, the workin' pix I can forgo...

It's you pulling that trailer loaded with all that oak, that I'd love to see pulling down my drive!

THAT's the picture I'd like to see.....

(btw... I'll take two keyboards. One for the one I've already drooled on, and might as well get a spare for the rest of the pix, yet to come!)

woodrat

New User
Archie
Has a price been set for any of this wood? I might be interested
if I knew how hard it was gonna hit me.

Thanks,

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Jeff up dates the front page of this entry to the forums.
He states that he hasn't figured out a price yet.
I'll keep track of time and materials and put together a price that fair to everyone - what exactly the price will be I can't say right now.

J

jeff...

Thanks for all the replies - Honestly I don't think I'll have the time needed to log or saw any of the WO for this kiln cycle. We have not even got to where the WO are yet. We've spent all our time logging and sawing RO. I think I may have under estimated the amount of RO that was down the first time Jim and I walked the woods. There are a few trees down on the other side of his property that we have not got to yet and I think they are WO's. We are doing our best to use all the wood that can be sawn into lumber. I really hate wasting wood, a tree grow all those years the least I can do is show it some respect and saw out of it what can be sawn - you know?

Scott was kind enough to reserve me a kiln cycle starting the first or second week in September, that means I've got about 3 weeks left to fill up Scott's kiln to 4000 BF. We have a good 2500 BF cut already. Jim and I are taking down a load this weekend it's somewhere around 1500 BF. There is another 1000 or so on Jim's trailer that we will need to stack on my trailer because his is overloaded. So with two trailers now full, we shuffled in my bobcat trailer this evening and we are stacking it now.

I know I'll have to take at least two more trailer loads to Scott in the next few weeks and I hate to say it's but it's going to have to be all RO. Out of the 4000 or so BF of 4/4 - I would say around 2/3rds or so will be QS the rest will be flat sawn. We are QS'ing the logs that are right for QS'ing and flat sawing the others. Then there is about 500 BF of the 8/4 by 24" wide WO diving boards - I think Scott's kiln will be busting at the seams.

Anyways I have another job lined up after I'm finished out at Jim's. It's quite a bit bigger, thinning out 3 acres of mature hardwoods to make room for a cow pasture. what exactly this means I'm not sure but I'm buying a case of tree marking paint so the land owner can mark the ones he wants taken down . I don't have a hard and fast start time on the next job but would like to get started on it sooner than later because me doing this in my spare time is going to take some time to finish. Expect some future lumber runs out of the cow pasture thinning job.

I need to talk with Jim and figure out if he wants to keep logging and sawing the windthrow tornado trees or if he wants to call it quits after we finish sawing up the RO, that we've already logged. If Jim wants to continue that's fine with me, he's an awesome guy to hang around with and I really enjoy working with him, he's taught me a ton. But I can also understand if he doesn't want to continue. I mean wrestling with logs and green lumber is not easy work.

I think I need a vacation :tinysmile_tongue_t:

Thanks

sawduster

New User
Robert
I would say you deserve one bro !! :icon_thum :icon_thum
In fact both of you do :eusa_clap

.....you have our permission :gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors