Porter Cable 6902 Router

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I have three router tables that have all used the porter cable 6902 motor. I like that unit for a router table, especially when it has dust collection in the cabinet. The issue I have is there doesn't seem to be any new router motors being made and haven't for a while now. Also parts are getting scarce too. I've tried a Dewalt router motor and it didn't live long, seems the dust collection pulling air through the motor wipes out the bearings. They're not hard to change and are not expensive, but doing it every few months is getting a bit too much. My Porter Cable router would go years without needing bearings. I finally burned up a couple of motors in mine so I can't repair them. I have a Dewalt router in my CNC machine and has lasted amazingly well, but it's not dealing with dust collection the same way as my router table is.

What router do you like in a router table that is over 1 3/4 horsepower? I don't need soft start, or variable speed but the Dewalt I have does have both. I"m hesitant to buy used routers, especially for the prices I'm seeing now, just to get a porter cable motor. The router needs to be able to do 1/2" collets too. I hate to keep buying routers only to find out they're not going to live long

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
I have a Porter Cable 7519 (3.25 hp) in mine. I previously had the Milwaukee 5625 (also 3.25 hp) but was told the PCs are built in a way that makes them better for inverted in a table than other brands and since I had both I replaced the Milwaukee with the PC in the table. I now use the Milwaukee as a hand held with a large offset base - but only occasionally because it’s so heavy.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
All my 690's were picked up used in pawn shops, but it has been over 20 years since I bought one, so they may not be out there anymore. I would say next time I'm in a pawn shop, but I haven't been in one in over ten years. Don't trash your motors, as Triangle Woodworkers has a 690 that needs a fan, which isn't currently available,

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
I'm looking at purchasing a Triton soon for my router table. I currently have a Milwaukee that the bearings are going bad.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I have a Porter Cable 7519 (3.25 hp) in mine. I previously had the Milwaukee 5625 (also 3.25 hp) but was told the PCs are built in a way that makes them better for inverted in a table than other brands and since I had both I replaced the Milwaukee with the PC in the table. I now use the Milwaukee as a hand held with a large offset base - but only occasionally because it’s so heavy.
Do you happen to know if the 7519 has the same motor body size as the 690? I've not had time to research that much. The extra power would be great, and being better outfitted for inverted use is the thing I'm really needing. Seems the Porter Cables are best suited for that.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
All my 690's were picked up used in pawn shops, but it has been over 20 years since I bought one, so they may not be out there anymore. I would say next time I'm in a pawn shop, but I haven't been in one in over ten years. Don't trash your motors, as Triangle Woodworkers has a 690 that needs a fan, which isn't currently available,
Agreed to not scrap/discard the burned up unit, I still have one working that I can get parts from it for. I may have to hit pawn shops too.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Seems lots of Triton suggestions... If I get just the motor, I've found one for a bit over $300, don't really need the rest of the kit. I've got porter cable bases that have never been out of the box, so no need to buy a whole router kit for my use. The picture I found looks like the Triton might be the same body style as the PC version I have now, if they're the same diameter I'm set.

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
The 7519 and 690 motor bodies are not the same size. It’s been a number of years, but I believe the 690 body is about 1/2” smaller in diameter and length than the 7519.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Anyone have the Woodpeckers Spinrite? It’s designed for table use and sold as motor only so the price is a bit lower than other 3 1/4 routers that come with a base $250. It’s got the ER20 collets…etc. I’ve seen some good reviews, but also found some identical units under different brands that don’t have good reviews.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS