Poll - What do you do when you build something?

What do you do when you decide to build something significant

• Post a message asking for plan ideas and suggestions?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I used to just sketch and go at it, but have found doing a fairly detailed scale drawing (the old fashioned way) saves me a lot of unpleasant surprises and helps figure out the joinery, etc. After the drawing, I then make up a materials list and compare prices at the various suppliers.
Originally, I then presented the package to the LOML for approval. Because she never looked at them and always had the same question ("What's it going to cost?"), I have revised the flow plan to read: CFO approval.
After a day or two (or more if its a big project) I then start change-of-contract negotiations ("Honey, I need a (insert tool name here) to do this"), while getting the project underway. My success at getting the COC is directly related to the priority the project has on LOML's list and the proximity of my b'day or Christmas.
After I get into the project, tho, regardless of the amount of planning, I invariably have a brain-f**t and end up doing some DAYG modification.

I can't remember ever building something directly from a set of published plans.

I voted for the first one

Go:-D

timsparents

New User
Roger Goldman
With every project/commission, once I know the general style and size of the piece, I use a fairly simple CAD program to do all my drawings. They are very detailed and accurate, with all the joints, clearances, and hardware clearly determined and defined. Any particularly complex area get's it's own drawing. From the drawings I go to Xcel to a spreadsheet I have designed, and list every piece of wood of every species that will be necessary to build the piece. I order all my wood "rough" and dimension it to my requirements (using jointer, planer). The exact measurements, rough cut measurements, number of pieces, and a code for the piece are entered. The spreadsheet then calculates my lumber, sheet goods requirements. From this take-off I order my materials (usually with 20% allowance for waste, mistakes etc.), hardware etc. Then to the shop. I determine the sequence for building (for example - carcass first, drawers second, draw fronts third, doors fourth, etc) and generally dimension the wood that I will need for each step as I'm about to begin that portion of the project. For each portion, I begin by writing out a list of required steps in order as best as I can project. This list is constantly revised as I work thru the portion. Any changes to the project that either must be made, or that I choose to make (hopefully to improve) are noted on the drawings.
I have always been pretty methodical and organized in woodworking and other areas of my life, so this approach has been with me for many years. The main difference has been changing from drawing on large sheets of 1/4" graph paper to the computer - which has been great. For me, being this meticulous and methodical works, especially as many of my commissions are fairly large and/or complex projects, using expensive woods. Mistakes still happen, but not too often, and rarely do I lose a large chunk of time or material when I do make one. It's the old ww addage of "measure twice, cut once." I try to plan and think things thru as best I can before I do anything that is irreversible. And ALWAYS with safety first!
Thanks for the forum -

Roger

timsparents@earthlink.net

OriginalChong

New User
Al
I'm glad I'm not the only one that seems to just wing it sometimes... after seeing some of these posted pictures I felt like I was so undisciplined.

Alright, so I'm on my first year of woodworking. I'm not the best person to poll on this subject. I'm trying my hands on anything that deals with wood and the manipulation of wood. But it seems that no matter how hard I try to "stick with the design", I ultimately would have to adapt to wood. Because, with me, you can design everything to the 1/16th of an inch. Ultimately, the right triangles, 45 degrees, etc, don't align just right to give you up to 1/16th of an inch. I'm hoping that it will eventually but my skills and elementary tools that I have right now make it so that I'm limited in ability to make the product match the spec. I've heard of guys that would make wood fit so snug that the urban myth was that they didn't even need nails to hold up their projects... that's what I'm aiming for. :eusa_booh

One thing that I can tell you is that I'm getting to the point where I'm adjusting my approach with WW'ing and it's become more along the lines of, I know what I have to do to get from Point A-B and I have all the necessary tools for it. I'm just going to use the few skills that I do have when the time comes to make this a perfect fit. Ultimately, the designs are in my head and I have no plans for them. I think that I'm probably right around where I should be as a developing sawdust-maker as far as progress goes.

Thanks for asking the question, I feel much better. :thumbsup:

DaveD

New User
Dave
I sort of wing the design and then do some real rough sketches freehand with measurements shown. The measurements become my cut list so I carefully check all dimensions to be sure it will come together cleanly.

When I start cutting/assembling I have been known to tweak the design on the fly to get around a previous error.

I made a breadbox one time and the only dimensions/written design I had was how much the volume 4 loaves of standard 1# bread stacked together was. then it was off to the shop to make a box, with a roll top front, that was approximately 2" bigger in each dimension.

I have done stereo cabinets the same way. End tables get designed based on some real quick and dirty measuring in a furniture store before the salesman catches me.

My last big cabinet was masking tape on the wall for the overall design/size and some measurements off an existing cabinet in the same room to get the major trim pieces to complement the existing cabinet. Then it was a precise cut list for the main cabinet. The trim was done on the fly with pre finished trim pieces cut a couple of inches long before I stained/varnished them.

Obviously things have to be level, plumb, cut to equal lengths, etc. so it comes out in a professional manner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS