Political Signature Line ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
As our policy states signature lines are subject to the same rules as post content. One of our new members (Digit) has the following as his signature line:

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

I am looking for opinions before I take action, too political ? :dontknow:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
According to Google search it is actually a quote from Gerald Ford when he was a Senator.
Political? Maybe.
True? Absolutely - and I don't get involved in politics.......

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
So far I have seen that two members of the BOD have viewed this thread without comment so I am guessing that either indicates tacit approval of the signature line or an unwillingness to get involved for whatever reason. I shall take no further action but I do know that line is being bandied about the web as a rallying cry for political reasons. :wsmile:

I as a member of the BOD and a regular user respectfully exercise the right to weigh an issue before replying. I am one of the BOD members that you mention. I will not reply hastily to a thread or post. It is political, but a quote, so I am not sure I find it in violation or, how to respond at this point. You asked for an opinion, give us time to form that opinion please.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Glenn, in the context of today's seemingly derisive political climate, I'd opt to moderate it.

As you point out, the use of this particular quote as a rallying cry makes it more than a simple quote.

Jim

TracyP

Tracy
Jim, I do not disagree with you in the fact that it may need moderating. This statement was my disagreement. So far I have seen that two members of the BOD have viewed this thread without comment so I am guessing that either indicates tacit approval of the signature line or an unwillingness to get involved for whatever reason. Just because the two members of the BOD did not reply immediately does not mean that we agree or disagree. The current BOD has exercised great care in being fair and concise in our decisions and have talked EVERY situation out amongst the BOD members prior to making a decision. I suggest that this statement be retracted as it is not founded on any fact.

TracyP

Tracy
My offensive post has been deleted. Impatience is definitely NOT a virtue and leads to hasty regretable words. :no: Hitting the rewind button here back to my original post, I found that the "quote" has greater political use then I had originally thought. http://palin4pres2012.blogspot.com/2008/10/government-big-enough-to-give-you.html where do we go from here ? A PM to Digit ?

Actually I say that a PM to the offending member is in order. It should not be here. Thanks Glenn for understanding. You do a great job as a staff member. My feathers have less ruffles in them now:gar-Bi.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Given that it's Gerald Ford's quote, not Thomas Jefferson's, and that it's not a general feel-good quote ("ask not what you can do for your country", "we have nothing to fear but fear itself" etc.), I'd ask Digit to change it. While relatively harmless, it's political nonetheless.

Oh, and the fact that I replied does not imply that I actually agree with what I wrote :)

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
One thing to note: Unless Tracy or ScottM brings a moderation issue to the BoD, the BoD will not act on it. Of course the BoD members may bring a post to the moderators attention if one of see something that may need action and we want opinions. I will NOT moderate posts as I have found that the members that I have moderated tend to take it as more than regular moderation. Thanks for what you all do.

Doug

Glennbear

Glenn
PM sent

Dave:
Your current signature line is political in nature and as such is in violation of site policy. Please change it to something acceptable. The NCWW site policy including some insight to the thoughts behind it is available via the policies button in the brown bar at the top of the page. Thanks :wsmile:
Glenn

Last edited:

TracyP

Tracy
PM sent

Dave:
Your current signature line is political in nature and as such is in violation of site policy. Please change it to something acceptable. The North Carolina Woodworker site policy including some insight to the thoughts behind is available via the policies button in the brown bar at the top of the page. Thanks :wsmile:
Glenn

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:. Nice PM.....Give him a log on or two to change it. If he does not change it on his own, then we need to.

Glennbear

Glenn
PM back from Digit and my reply:

Glenn[/QUOTE]
Just wondered if you knew that quote is 200 years old and therefore precedes republican/ democrat rhetoric?[/QUOTE]

In actuality the quote was originally uttered by Gerald Ford and misattributed to Jefferson. The age is irrelevant and it has been extensively used for political purposes recently. Please remove it.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Glenn, along with Tracy I am the other BOD member that viewed the thread. You are incorrect in assuming that by saying nothing I was tacitly agreeing with the moderation.

What is important to me is that the Staff and BOD members of North Carolina Woodworker support one another in our joint quest to operate a great woodworking site. Just because I may disagree with someone elses opinion (or moderation) does not mean that I need to state my opinion, especially if it would serve to create division or negatively impact the contributions of one of our valued moderators. IF it's a big issue and I feel that timing is critical, I may opt to say something; otherwise I will probably remain silent. At the end of the day I feel that it is more important that I support the staff than to express my opinion about every issue.

The BOD agreed that our main representatives to the MOD's would be Tracy and ScottM, and I support that process.

Glennbear

Glenn
Glenn, along with Tracy I am the other BOD member that viewed the thread. You are incorrect in assuming that by saying nothing I was tacitly agreeing with the moderation.

What is important to me is that the Staff and BOD members of North Carolina Woodworker support one another in our joint quest to operate a great woodworking site. Just because I may disagree with someone elses opinion (or moderation) does not mean that I need to state my opinion, especially if it would serve to create division or negatively impact the contributions of one of our valued moderators. IF it's a big issue and I feel that timing is critical, I may opt to say something; otherwise I will probably remain silent. At the end of the day I feel that it is more important that I support the staff than to express my opinion about every issue.

The BOD agreed that our main representatives to the MOD's would be Tracy and ScottM, and I support that process.

I fully understand your viewpoint and extend apologies to both you and Tracy for my improper and far too hasty remarks. :embaresse

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I fully understand your viewpoint and extend apologies to both you and Tracy for my improper and far too hasty remarks. :embaresse

No harm - no foul, and no apology needed (but thanks anyway).

Thanks also for the hard work of being a moderator - we don't thank y'all enough for the great contributions that the entire moderation and administration team makes.

SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS