Plans for Spring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Are you thinking about Spring yet?

Got any big wood working projects on the drafting table?

Uh, computer? :rotflm:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike, right now just trying to get through the holidays and all the holiday projects I have not even started.:BangHead:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I only have two projects that I will work on between now and spring.

I want to get moved and all the little parts and pieces that entails.

And the second is a bowl for a friend.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Seriously, I will be spending most of my shop time the next few months on working on the shop itself. I am hoping by spring to using it as a shop. I have not thought about any other projects for the coming year.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
This winter I plan on finishing all the drawer fronts for my miter bench and the cabinet doors for my wall cabinets. Then I plan on starting a 7 drawer chest for the bedroom. That should do it for next year. :)

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'm already using the shop at the newer place, I'll have to dress it up as I go along. Got to move a 220 outlet so I can get the lathe moved and set up.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
First up, two wall hung cabinets for the shop. Need a better system for my lathe tools/accessories and drill bits/accessories. I'm in the drawing stage on this one already.

Next up, a modular entertainment center for the living room. I want something that can be rearranged so I don't have to build a new one every time we change TV's.

Then a Shaker style sideboard to match the table I built earlier this year.

Somewhere in there I promised to mentor a HS senior who wants to build a chest-of-drawers for his senior project. He keeps saying he's only required to spend 15 hours on his project. I keep trying to convince him he won't get it done in 15 hours, and I'm not going to build it for him. Just mentor and provide the shop.

Bill

Oh, I almost forgot a small step stool for LOML.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Well, since I didn't do any woodworking to speak of this year, the same projects I was planning on last year with a couple additions. Farm table will probably be the first project, chest of drawers, grandfather clock and a Chippendale chair. Hopefully I can actually get them started next year!

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
New computer desk for LOML
End tables for living room
Another chest for another niece
Clear out more space in the woods for more drying sheds
Mill logs for lumber for drying sheds
Build drying sheds
Cut down trees for lumber
Mill trees into lumber
Build a storage shed
Put new doors on MIL's storage shed
Build more bookcases
Make a chisel plane
Make a router plane
Make a rabbet plane
Make cabinet for hand tools
Make router table
Make a hand dovetail jig
Make more walking sticks
Learn to carve
Learn to carve wood spirits
Make a couple biscuit bowls (aka Biscuit trays for making biscuit dough)
Make a humidor for my neighbor
Make log benches for other neighbor to put around his fire pit.

You didn't say WHICH spring:rotflm::rotflm:

Go

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Yep Gonna build a couple more rockers, Fred said he would help me build some kitchen cabinets and I got this bass guitar on the drafting table.

Also, got the bobcat and it's bucket all secured on the log trailer, the whole shooting match is going to Southern IL in 6 days. My son got us a few acres of nice hardwoods to cut while we are there over Christmas. I can't wait to bust into my first coffee tree http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/FNR/FNR-281-W.pdf and Hard Maple http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/FNR/FNR-287-W.pdf.

manfre

New User
Manfre
In spring the only thing I'll have time for is managing the bees. Until then, I need to finish assembling the workshop, make baby gates, baby toys and lots of bee hives.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
hope to get my shop organized in the spring.

in the next 3 weeks i need to finish the footboard to go with my son's 3-in-1 crib. my wife got tired of me procrastinating and bought our son a how to train your dragon blanket for a full sized bed for christmas. she figured correctly that'd light a fire under me to get it done. if it isn't done by christmas i'm sure it'll be done soon after cause that boy can be persuasive.

i've also been cranking out some bowls for gifts. i'm going to attempt a wooden bell, i've been working it out in my head so we'll see if it works out well or not.

Rob

New User
Rob
A nice woodworking bench. I'm still in the reading and thinking stage, hopefully I'll move into the design stage after the holidays, and the collecting wood stage soon after.

Rob

New User
Rob
I need a bench too Rob, which one are you thinking and what wood or woods do you like?

I do not know yet Mike, I've been reading a couple books and reading online. So far I know I want a tool tray. I added one to my current bench and I love it, even though it does become a "catch all" it's handy for clearing the bench quickly. I know I want a face vise and a tail vise. I think I want a vise on the end that is as wide as the bench, instead of the narrow one. I want room under it to build a cabinet of drawers, for storage, can't have too much storage and the space under a woodworking bench has always seemed like wasted space to me.

As far as wood, it's going to depend on what I can get locally I guess, and the cost. I have a co-worker who says that he has 2 oak boards, about 4" thick, 2' wide and 12' long in his dad's barn in PA. They've been in there for 30 years, so I'm trying to talk him into bringing them back on his next visit. I'm not sure if I should make a solid top, or rip them and laminate them together.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I plan to make the plywood bench Wayne post a few weeks back. It was in Fine Woodworking.

Easy peezy Scott! I have really liked having the extra storage, sturdy work surface and nicer vise!

Me?????????

I plan on starting on a toy box/blanket chest for our new grand daughter.

Thinking about building it all out of QSRO with frame and raised panel construction.

Right behind this, I have always wanted to build a miter saw bench. (Need to get rid of some stuff to make room for it though:BangHead:)

Wayne

eyekode

New User
Salem
I am in for a bench build this year too. First I have to finish: a couple bowls and 4 18" doll bets for Christmas.
For bench inspiration I really like the ideas in benchcrafted split Roubo. Both the leg vise and wagon wheel vise seem like good ideas to me. I also like the split top. Makes it easier for me to finish. Also like the split which makes it easy to add a stop for traversing and/or a place for keeping the tools I am using. And although the benchcrafted hardware is expensive I think it is probably a pretty good value.

I already have ~110bd ft of 8/4 QSWO that I plan to use for the top (maybe #2 common grade? No "select" or better lumber will be harmed in the making of this bench :)). I would much prefer a single slab but this lumber is paid for :). And really I would prefer maple (less splintery) but for ~.60 ct/bd ft I could not pass up the oak.
Good luck on next year's plans!
Salem

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
More clocks. More story crosses. Some more clocks. Maybe a few more story crosses. Then some more clocks. THen gonna make some more story crosses. Then I gotta sell some clocks and story crosses before I run out of room.:BangHead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS