Planer feeder sudden failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjcurtin

New User
Mike
Yesterday while planing a 12 inch 8' piece of 4 quarter cherry my Delta 15" 10yr old planer quit being able to advance the piece. i have completely taken it down and recallibrated all things and now discover that the gear drive has ceased to turn the infeed roller. since taking apart the gear box is a rather large dirty job I am looking for someone who has run into this before and could suggest an easier, I hope, plan of action.

Mike Curtin, Southport NC

just read the rest sorry wrong place

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Re: sudden failure

This doesn't belong in the help desk forum, but someone will come along and move it soon.

Have you checked the set screw on the drive gear? It has probably worked loose letting the gear turn on the shaft.

I see this is your first post, WELCOME to NCWW and please post an introduction.

M

McRabbet

Re: sudden failure

I would suggest you look at www.mikestools.com, www.toolpartsdirect.com or www.acetoolrepair.com and click on the Delta links for the model you own. I've repaired my DeWalt planer and generally the parts are not all that expensive. If I knew your Model Number, perhaps I could help more, but Mike Davis might have your problem pegged (I believe the infeed roller is gear driven on the Delta 15" planers). Hope this helps.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
I've got the same problem with my Grizzly 15in.:kamahlitu.I had the man. saved on my computer,but I had to change computers :BangHead::BangHead:.

Geege

New User
Garry
This is completely off the subject but where do you get your lumber down there? My dad lives on Oak Island I usually get down there once ore twice a month as far as the planer goes if you cant get going I have one on the island?

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Yesterday while planing a 12 inch 8' piece of 4 quarter cherry my Delta 15" 10yr old planer quit being able to advance the piece. i have completely taken it down and recallibrated all things and now discover that the gear drive has ceased to turn the infeed roller. since taking apart the gear box is a rather large dirty job I am looking for someone who has run into this before and could suggest an easier, I hope, plan of action.

Mike Curtin, Southport NC

just read the rest sorry wrong place

Likely one of these causes:

(1) the gear shift lever is in between speeds- make sure it is all the way in or all the way out (only shift when the machine is running). I hope this is all that is wrong.

(2) gear box problems
a. most everything in the outer (dry) gear box is chains and sprockets- though not likely, you may have a broken chain- a member here had that problem. It is a relatively easy fix.

b. As Mike says, it could be a sprocket set screw. An even easier fix.
c. While there are other things that can go wrong, there is a relatively small, weak, pinion drive gear, part of the poorly designed feed speed selector mechanism, in the inner, oil-filled gear box that can get eaten up if you don't change speeds properly- you should only chain speeds (push or pull the lever) when the motor is running and NOT under load (not planing a board). Make sure the level position is full in or full out. The pinion gear could be stripped, broken, split, etc. and no longer working- if so the feed roller will not turn. It is a relatively inexpensive part, but . . . .
(2)c. requires draining and taking the wet gear box apart, a messy and fairly difficult procedure if you are not mechanically inclined. For detailed instructions and good pics how to disassemble the gear box on all these generic* 4 poster, 15" planers, go to the instructions for installing a Byrd Shelix on the Byrd site. *Motor on top (Delta)/motor on bottom (others)- most use the same gear box.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Alan's first suggested solution is my first suggestion as it happens to me regularly. Make sure the lever is not in between speeds.

BTW, have you ever changed or checked the gear oil?

Hey Alan, why do you shift it while running? I know that is what the manual says to do, but why? Doesn't that wear the teeth out?

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Alan's first suggested solution is my first suggestion as it happens to me regularly. Make sure the lever is not in between speeds.

BTW, have you ever changed or checked the gear oil?

Hey Alan, why do you shift it while running? I know that is what the manual says to do, but why? Doesn't that wear the teeth out?

I'm not sure, but it must help the gears align and mesh easier. That pinion gear is pretty small and soft so is easily damaged. Sliding the gear shift lever in and out when the motor is not running can damage the pinion gear if the teeth are not aligned with the other drive gears. I replaced the one on my Delta 15". It not only says to do it that way in the manual, but my 15" Delta had a big caution on the gearbox too. But, as I pointed out, it should not be done while planing a board, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS