Pic of my latest project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kicbak

New User
Wes
Living in a small house without many storage places I've continually been building stuff to store more stuff in!

Here is my latest project, a hall cabinet for holding stuff we use all the time.

IMG_2307.jpg

It's walnut and maple with birch plywood. I got to use some new jigs and tools for my latest project.

1) Shelf jig for making adjustable shelves
2) Built a drill press table for my CL purchase
3) Used drill press for euro style hinges
4) Going to finish with some oil to bring out the grain and then use shellac for the first time.
5) Plan on cutting some work on the scroll saw for the center of the doors, not sure what though....

More pics since you most likely glazed over by now....:rotflm:

IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2308.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

The finishing will happen when I get back from brothers wedding in Japan on the 22nd.

Wes

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very nice! The finish should really bring out the wood, walnut and maple go together like beer and beernuts!

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Great Job brother. I have made a few cabinets in my time, and you have done really good there. Congrats:icon_thum:icon_thum.
Can't wait to see it finished as that is when that walnut and maple well really pop.

Kicbak

New User
Wes
Thanks for all the kind words!! Each of my projects is slightly more complicated then the last and each seem to turn out better. I guess practice must work :gar-La;

I enjoy designing stuff as much as building it. On crappy parts of projects like sanding :BangHead:, I miss the designing. And as a first on this project I had all the numbers right and didn't make any bonehead cuts:icon_chee.

Wes

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Great job on the design and execution Wes :icon_thum. Looking forward to the finish photos.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Great looking project, the walnut and maple work well together. I can't wait to see the finished project. I like the design also.

Steve W

New User
Steve
Nice!

The face frame looks like it's already shiny :eusa_clap You must have used real fine paper or a scraper on it!

:kermit: Steve

sapwood

New User
Roger
Really nice job, Wes!
And the finish should really make the wood contrast stand out.

Looking forward to your return and the finish,
Roger

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
Anybody else watch Monk on tv? Anybody else have those tendencies? I do...

Man you did a great job...the cabinet looks great. But that last picture just makes me want to go to your house and take the shelf pins out of the right side and knock the shelves down a bit... unless of course they are permanent and you didn't really want me to point out the fact that they are uneven.

:BangHead:

Kicbak

New User
Wes
HAHAHAH.... The shelf pins aren't equal. So you could spend all day trying to get them to line up.

Since the pins needed about 1/2" deep hole and the plywood in the center is 3/4" I could either move the holes up or over. I decided to start the other sides pins slightly higher. Since I could rest the jig against the frame and the back all the pins would still be in a nice straight line.

I guess the way I did it wasn't the norm...Next time should I move the holes over a little?

Wes

M

McRabbet

HAHAHAH.... The shelf pins aren't equal. So you could spend all day trying to get them to line up.

Since the pins needed about 1/2" deep hole and the plywood in the center is 3/4" I could either move the holes up or over. I decided to start the other sides pins slightly higher. Since I could rest the jig against the frame and the back all the pins would still be in a nice straight line.

I guess the way I did it wasn't the norm...Next time should I move the holes over a little?

Wes
This is a common challenge in making cabinets that share a common partition with shelves on each side. The sight lines create the problem you have now with one shelf always higher than the other. The best strategy is to drill the shelf holes at the same heights from the base of the cabinet, but offset on side deeper by 1/2" or so. The shelf pins can then be at identical heights and the shelves don't care. I'd change it if I were you before LOYL sees it... If you want, you can plug the old holes with matching dowel plugs and they'll never see it from Main Street.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
NO NO NO NO NO! Rig a door interlock device on it so you can't open both doors at the same time! :gar-La;
Love the cabinet.
You rate a DUUUUDE! on that one.

(Is that about the right color for walnut?)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Wes, that is a great looking table/cabinet! :icon_thum My next project will be walnut and maple, they looks so great together.

Trent

Kicbak

New User
Wes
Well other then for these pictures the shelves will never been close again. My wifes laptop bag and her work files are going on the left so there may only be one shelf on the left side. On the right I have no idea whats going in there yet. But like they always say your stuff will expand to fit all available space.

As for the Walnut, I just got a new camera and I'm not sure I have figured it out yet. It is actually darker then the pictures. It looks like the flash reflected off of the sanded dust on the walnut washing it out some.

The tried and true should really bring out the color better. I'll post more pictures during the finishing.

wes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS