Photo Galleries problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
First, let me say, That NO ONE should be kicking themselves about this issue. These things happen. All it shows is that this a computer system. It may show that we may need to get better coordination. It also shows that I need to automated the creation of photo galleries, which I have been avoiding becuase of the work involved.

Now what happened? First, it was not as bad as it looked. Everything was there. The reason, it took so long was I wanted to be very careful so I didn't make things worse.

I had to look at the DB first so I coulld see what really happened, before I tried to fix it. Then since I was there I fixed it there, but it could have been fixed from the admincp.

Oh one other, a catergory disappears, adding another with the same name, is not good idea. In a database system such as this, the name has no real meaning, the true identy of cats and their hierarchial relationship is a unique number assigned by the system. cat 4 = Member's Abums. It name got changed to cmartinson's album, somehow and it settings were changed to be that which we use for for member's album plus thos of a highest level cat. So everything was there, but was not being displayed.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Sounds like it was a cake walk for you Steve.:icon_thum I am glad everything worked out. BTW, I see Monty now has the title of Administrator. Is that truly the case..............or has the neighborhood simply gone to crap?:lol:

Thanks for getting us back up and running so quickly Steve.

D L

M

McRabbet

SteveColes said:
First, let me say, That NO ONE should be kicking themselves about this issue. These things happen.
I think we all agree -- stuff happens!
SteveColes said:
Now what happened? First, it was not as bad as it looked. Everything was there. The reason, it took so long was I wanted to be very careful so I didn't make things worse.
And I suspect that I may have added to your challenge by adding the new version of the Member's Album.
SteveColes said:
I had to look at the DB first so I could see what really happened, before I tried to fix it. Then since I was there I fixed it there, but it could have been fixed from the admincp.
That's what we need to learn -- I couldn't find a cmartinson's Album or the Member's Album. Several of us need to learn how to troubleshoot this type of issue and follow the fundamental rule: "investigate first, before taking action"!

SteveColes said:
Oh one other, a category disappears, adding another with the same name, is not good idea. In a database system such as this, the name has no real meaning, the true identity of categories and their hierarchal relationship is a unique number assigned by the system. cat 4 = Member's Albums. It name got changed to cmartinson's album, somehow and it settings were changed to be that which we use for for member's album plus those of a highest level cat. So everything was there, but was not being displayed.
My bad move added work -- but fortunately Mr. Wizard got it straight.

I'm going to suggest that until Steve can automate this process, we follow the strict procedure he outlined before with the following additions -- whoever responds to an Album request in the Queue should first REFRESH their browser before they post a message saying "I've got it". Someone else may have acted before you! Then, when you've logged out of Admin CP, immediately refresh again, post "Done", and Close the Thread.

Rob

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Glad you got it fixed Steve, I was optimistic that we hadn't totally blown it since the random images were still around. I had tried to recreate the category too and then deleted it when I realized that did't solve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS