Pet caskets???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Anyone ever made a pet casket. An acquaintance of mine requested that I make one for his dog that had to be put down after attacking his wife (don't ask, long story). The dog is an English Bulldog and he suggested that the casket be about 42" long by 24" wide and 16" tall. Also he suggested that I use Cypress or some other rot resistant wood.
I am thinking of thru DT corners, floating solid wood top and bottom and maybe a Walnut band inlayed in the top. Hardware will be simple piano hinges and some nice drawer pulls for handles. Anything that I am missing construction wise? Should I create some sort of sealing method for the lid? I will probably have my wife help me to make a satin liner for the casket. When I add it all up I am coming up with $260 in materials and I figure, conservatively, that it will take about 15 hours to make - $375.
Is $635 too much for some thing that you will bury in the ground? I want to help the guy out, but he isn't a good friend or anything so I don't feel any favors are expected.
Dave:)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Frankly Dave, I wouldn't spend that much to put an animal in the ground after attacking my wife, (well, maybe my ex). But considering the size, your cost estimate seems low, considering what cheaper human caskets would go for, considering scale. Also, probably just right, for a dog.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Though I've never made a casket of any type, I think this project would be really interesting & a resume builder! I can see all kinds of "fun" in this project. Maybe you can add a place to hang the dogs leash and a place for his favorite toy.

I don't think it really matters what kind of wood ... we've all heard of the
ol' "pine box". I'd do whatever is the most cost effective.

As for the fee ... there is no such thing as "too much" if someone is willing to pay for it. Figure out how much you must make to consider the project, add a little so that you don't have remorse later, add in the cost of supplies, and then maybe a little more for the unanticipated stuff. Give it to the customer and let him run with it. There is really only two answers ... yes or no. In both cases you win (you either get a job that makes you the money you deserve or you lose a job which frees you up for other work).

If you end up making this, share some pictures. I'd be interested in seeing what you build.

davisjarrett

New User
Jarrett
Now that is the next New Yankee Workshop project if I have ever heard one. I want to know the story about how that guy chartered you to build this after his dog was "put down". With a candlestick in the kitchen by the butler? Give me a clue!

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
This is obviously a dog lover and we are all insane:roll: So charge him for it.

Look here for comparative prices. But I suspect your quality will be quite a bit more.

And, no I have never buried a pet in a casket, if you don't count shoe boxes for various turtles, lizards, frogs and goldfish.:-D

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
Thats not very much at all conserding what you and your wife will put into it.
Depending what he wants, nailed pine box $100, plane oak box $200, what you described $635 is cheap:eusa_snoo

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I did a fairly extensive web search for pet caskets to judge prices. All I could find was the "old Pine box" stained none-the-less, he does want something better, and his "life-style" suggest something better. The dog is a pure-breed that he paid lots of money for. I don't agree with his treatment of the dog after what it did to his wife, but I am not one to judge. I tried to estimate the costs to make it worth my time, considering he needs it by next week.

cskipper

Cathy
Must not've liked the wife much! Hey - don't let John see this! Pet lover's do strange things - though that ones pretty far out there. Charge him. If he balks (and I'll be surprised if he does) offer him the pine box.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I'd make it an even $750 and go with it. I'm a dog person and have two fairly expensive dogs and I think this would be a "fair" price for a custom casket. Afterall, the average dog costs about $2,000 a year so a one-time $750 should be nothing.

macdaddy

New User
Steve
I have just noticed something. What is the connection between woodworking and dogs anyway? I mean most of you have dogs pictures under your names. I am also guilty. I have several dogs. There is a picture of them in my photo album. It must be something psychological here.

macdaddy

davisjarrett

New User
Jarrett
my WIFE has one cat. I too think that the price quoted is a little low based on the craftsmenship that you described and the aforementioned owner's apparent love for the beast. as compared to the other links and photos, $750 seems like much more realistic if not even more. I don't believe in gouging anyone; however, I do believe in getting paid for your time, especially if he wants to put a rush on the item, and for everyone's sense of smell's sake, I hope that he does indeed.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
4 cats, they are easier to take care of, especially when they were feral. They are free-range and can take very good care of themselves, leaving us free to leave when ever we want. But I wouldn't spend more than the cost of a used shoe box for their burial. But then again I don't want my family to do anything more than give me a good toasting and throw me in a hole under a Oak tree. And hope I become part of someone's furniture someday:-D

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
My wife owns a English Bulldog... He has attacked me a time or two but she just loves that dog.... I'm sure she would pay someone that kind of money for a casket for it.... I'll proably just dig a hole and throw it in when he dies... I sure aint spending alot of time or money on that stupid dog. Especiallly after he has attacked me so many times....

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
daveO,
your time is important,,if your not working in that casket you could be with your family. (or doing some other job) drop the price on him and dont think twice. If he bites (no pun intinded) then crack it out and write a letter to his family at the end telling them you feel for their loss and took great pride in working with them. If not, grab a beer and head to the drawing board, its all the same day really bro. be blessed.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Dave,

I would price it like you would any other project for a non friend. So it all sounds goot to me. While I personally wouldn't spend this much money on my burying my dog there are plenty that will.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I'm with Michael. Make it worth your while and don't look back. The situation changes when it is friend or someone in need and this doesn't appear to be one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS