Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
These are 3 pens I made this week. I thought about letting you guess what kind of wood was used but decide not to.

The ones on the left and right are Patriot pens using Maple Burl. The center one is a Jr Gentlemens using Wild Grape Vine. I found the wood in a area near my house that was logged last year. I got two 4' sections of the Wild Grape Vine and coated the ends with a sealer and placed them in my garage in December. I checked them a week ago and they were split open from one end to the other like a ripe watermelon. I was able to salvage a little from the biggest piece to make this pen. The stand is a piece that I squared off. You can see the large split in the wood. I wish I could have saved all of it. I really like the look of the vine after it is turned.

DSC06078_edited-1.JPG

Another photo of the Wild Grape Vine pen.

DSC06085.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow those are excellent, but the Grape Vine takes the cake. I can't say I have ever seen it turned. It has outstanding figure. Beautiful work.
Now off to find some grape vine :eusa_thin:eusa_thin

Dave:)

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Excellent pens Dolan! :icon_thum I would never have thought of grape vine. The figure and color variation is very nice. Awesome job! :eusa_clap

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice pens, Dolan!:icon_thum You gotta love the grapevine....the color and figure is awesome!

Keep up the good work,

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
How easy/difficult was the grape vine to turn? It sure is sharp!

Cathy,

It turned good. The wood is not hard. I was extremely careful...taking very light cuts with the gouge and stopping to check for any voids, etc. often and touching up with a little thin CA as necessary. I didn't want to mess up the blank, since I had only one. I might be able to squeeze one more out of the other 2 small pieces I cut from the biggest section that split. If the vine had not split I could have make a pile of blanks. But I was pleased to get this one.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Wonderful work, Dolan!!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Who wudda thought that they would turn out so beautiful??? When I first looked at the pen on the left, I thought it was antler?:BangHead::BangHead:

Very pretty wood!

Wayne

skeeter

New User
Charles
Nice work on all the pens. I really like the Grapevine. After your pinecone pen, it's hard for you to surprise me but I can't help but wonder what's next.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Dolan,
The grape vine is truly unique, and beautiful :thumbsup:
Are you going for poison ivy next?

Roger

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Dolan,
The grape vine is truly unique, and beautiful :thumbsup:
Are you going for poison ivy next?

Roger

No, Roger, I am not touching any poison ivey. I am allergic to it and LOML is highly alergic to it. I have read the article about the man that does use it....he can have it all.

sapwood

New User
Roger
8-O Ah, it has been done. Found a lively thread on the pen turner forum and another site where someone sells poison ivy products. LOML is also highly allergic. She had a couple of reactions from clothing that was in contact with poison ivy. :confused_

And from personal experience I've discovered the vines are as potent as the leaves. :nah:

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS